Strange depression type behavior lately. Anyone's doggie do this? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Strange depression type behavior lately. Anyone's doggie do this?

Jaxon has been acting depressed since we picked him up from one night of boarding this weekend when we had to go to a wedding. He's 2 years old now.

He played the day before he went to boarding at doggie day care. Very nice facility, five stars even. Then we took him to board on Friday, he played day camp all day, then boarded in a suite that night, played in day camp all day Saturday, and we picked him up at 7pm. He doesn't seem to be sick. He has gotten a cold before at day camp, but with 60 dogs, I guess that will happen once in a while.

He is normally super happy to see us, and since he's come home he's been like this in one spot of the house or another. When he lays with his mom on the couch, he will just whine and basically pine for attention. Weird dog. LOL.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jaxon Von Sharksalot
AKA Isteel Shues
AKA Chueson Allaurstouf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ImJaxon; 10-20-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Elite Member

I think any big change in behavior warrants a vet check

Hope Jaxon is back to his normal self soon

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Jaxon is sad... How much more fun's at home besides your couch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Crowned Member

Just my personal experience and by no means suggesting the same could hold true for others....but..years ago..I used one of those **** Hole Hound Hotels ( live internet video feed and all the dressings ) and it was horrid. When I retrieved my dog after a week or so..she came out through these doors into the "hotel's" lobby and came to me in the most sheepish and cowering fashions I had ever seen her...torn between being liberated and some newly acquired mentality that I was...as if..punishing her...it was simply odd.

Anyway, the best part..on their beautiful marble floor with one nice white throw carpet near the desk...as I was paying my bill...my dear Hana took a piss all over their carpet....I was sold.

To my good fortune, I now have the most wonderful person who takes care of dogs for a living...she even brings her back to our house so balance is maintained. I come back home now from vacation and my gal hasn't lost a beat...it is so worth it.

One last thought past my ramblings...Debbieg's advice has some merit to it...I wouldn't let it go too long as dogs tend to live in the moment.

SuperG
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs are just plain tired after their stay in a boarding kennel. Takes them about two days. I don't hink they get much sleep plus the stress of being away from you in a different environment with stress pheromones from other dogs maybe.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM

Every time we used to board my previous Olde English Sheepdog he would come back very unhappy to see us and seemed to be out of it. We even got as crazy to think they may have sedated him (he wasn't hyper at all) during his stay. Never found out, but we chalked it up to them enjoying the other dogs company so much they were bored with us! Give it a few more days and he should be fine, if not then get him checked!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 PM

I've ran into this in the past before too.
Our first Holiday Kennel was great,the Lady that ran it was great and our girl always came back Happy.
She boarded quite a few GSD's and would match them up for walks.
When She retired,She sold the Kennel/Farm to some new owners who ran it.
We only used them once,our girl came back depressed and had the runs for a week.
I knew right away when I picked Her up that it had not been good for Her.
I noticed that Her food that we had brought had been mixed with some other Dog food and that why I think She had the runs so bad.
The Next Kennel we tried was quite good our Girl came back Happy.
With big active dogs like Shepherds I think you need a Kennel that can handle them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Nah, this place is not a place where any animal is going to be abused.

We live in a very affluent area and this doggie hotel and resort is not the type of place. He's stayed here 100 times, and he is the mayor of this place. The staff here loves him and can't wait till he comes in. He never comes out looking like he had anything but an amazing time. He goes nuts to go to this place to play 2 times a week.

This particular time I'm going to chalk up to him being "played out" and just recouping from being away from us.

Secondly,

The couch thing is funny.

This dog is taken care of better than some people take care of their kids. He gets hours of play time every day in the back yard. He goes lots of places with me. Very active doggie. Play ball with him at lunch when we go home, and then again at night.

One thing that happened that maybe made him sad. He always gets wet food with his dry Blue Buffalo, but we ran out. When we put down the food dry, he kind of looked at us like "Really?" Haha. He didn't want to eat it and laid by the bowl with sad eyes. And then when he came to sit on the couch he whined in protest too.

OH well, he is all better now. Back to his old self. Thanks for all the input folks!

Jaxon Von Sharksalot
AKA Isteel Shues
AKA Chueson Allaurstouf

Last edited by ImJaxon; 10-21-2014 at 01:51 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Crowned Member

Then why did you even bring it up and make the connection ???

SuperGeeeezzzzz
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

I got the answers I needed. It's normal.

Accusing a facility of abusing your dogs is a really messed up thing to do when you know nothing about the facility. I never ONCE for a second thought he was being abused in the facility.

What I derived from the answers:

1) It's normal.
2) He could be sick.

He is not #2.

#1 it is.

</Thread closed>

Jaxon Von Sharksalot
AKA Isteel Shues
AKA Chueson Allaurstouf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page