What Would You Do? PC Sensitive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What Would You Do? PC Sensitive

The boys and I just had a very new experience, for them and me, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any PC suggestions for future handling.

There is a fenced in off-leash dog park in my neighborhood. Since Cafall was bitten earlier this year we only go when it's empty. This morning I was alone at the park with my boys just bouncing around and having fun when a wheelchair bound woman started following the path along outside edge of the dog park with her dachshund.

My boys sniffed at the dachshund through the fence and then went on their merry way chasing each other again. A few minutes later I happen to look up and see she had wheeled into the entrance of the park and was preparing to let her dachshund into the big dog side. I immediately started towards her and called out that it would be better to let the dogs play through the fence separating the large and small dog sides as my husky has a very high prey drive and doesn't do well with small dogs.

She just shook her head and said "It's okay, Buddy like big dogs." In the past I've always just gathered up my boys and left as I know Finder (my husky) will cause a problem with the small dog. Trying to be nice about it, I made the excuse that she could have the park and we'd just go because it was getting cold anyway. She vehemently shook her head, unleashed her dog, shoved it through the gate, and then snapped the gate closed behind it. Thereby shutting herself outside the park and her dog inside the park.

Thankfully, I was able to grab Finder as he went lunging past me for the dachshund. I kept hold of his collar called Cafall over and got them both leashed. As I was doing that the dachshund had backed away into a corner, despite the woman telling it, "Get them! Get them, Buddy!"

I went to leave but she was physically blocking gate from opening with her wheelchair. I said 'excuse me', but she just shook her head at me and kept calling "Get them, Buddy!" It was at that time I realized she had a mental handicap as well and was not functioning on an adult level.

I tried again, "Excuse me, we need to leave," but she kept shaking her head. I just stood there for a minute a bit dumbstruck and trapped. Finally, the only thing I could think to do was tie my boys up to the fence with their leash handles, grab the dachshund's leash off the fence post, and try to give her her dog back. Buddy was submissively urinating when I got to him. I clipped his leash on and then led him to the gate. By the time we got there the woman had opened the gate and thrust her hand through, "My Buddy!"

I gave her the leash and she hauled her dog back through the gate and motored away without another word. With her chair no longer blocking the gate I was able to go untie my boys and leave. After we got home I just sat down and had the whole scenario replay over and over in my head and it got me thinking.

I have very little personal experience interacting with individuals with disabilities whether mental or physical, and certainly almost none where my dogs would be in the situation with me. How do you handle situations where your dog(s) unexpectedly encounters a person who may/may not be in full control of their faculties? Or on the flips side, as perhaps a caretaker or handicapped individual yourself, what steps would you like to see taken by the dog owner in the event you unexpectedly come upon a dog?

Apologies if I have stated any of this in a politically incorrect manner, that was not my intention. I pride myself on constantly trying to improve the life of my dogs and my handling of them, and after this morning found an area where I have a very large knowledge gap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Elite Member

You did fine. Awkward situation and you made it out of it with no blood and no screaming from the other party. Mental handicaps run the gamut and it's often tap dancing on a landmine. Now you know to gather the mutts up when you see Buddy and his human.

Never cook bacon while naked.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Crowned Member

You IMO handled everything in a tactful and responsible way and possibly the only positive way possible. If the lady was a regular you could hopefully work out a way for her to understand how and why her actions could hurt her dog.Time and a routine could help.The other way would be to engage her to find out if she has a family member or a paid professional worker who could help educate her re keeping her dog safeand how to interact w/ other dogs and theirm owners. this might be a dog she just got and she waited a long time to have but doesnt know the what tyo do. (I know lots of people w/out developmental issues who behave the same way.If you see her agin ask how Buddy is doing and see if you can maybe explain why what happened could have been dangerous.You handled everything well.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Crowned Member

I think you handled the situation very well. You realized Buddy's owner didn't have the ability to protect him, so you did. You showed leadership within your own pack.

Well done!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Elite Member

I, too, think you handled it really well.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Crowned Member

This is why I hate dog parks.
No control whatsoever over what will happen there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

The people that usually show up to a dog park aren't control oriented with their dogs. One of the quickest ways to clear one out is to start practicing obedience in there.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you all. It was an odd situation to say the least.

I am still curious though if there are specific approaches or tactics anyone uses when encountering a disabled individual with their dog? NOT that I am equating all disabled individuals with children--Read NOT-- but the best strategy I can think of would be treating the encounter similar to an unknown child approaching my dog. Any advise?

I'd also be interested to hear from the other side of the scenario, what actions a handicapped person/caretaker would want to see from the dog owner during an interaction. i.e. simple courtesies I would unintentionally run ramrod over or perhaps not even think of.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 PM
SDG

I'm sorry that you had this unpleasant experience. I want to commend you for handling it so well. You protected both her dog and your dogs in a very awkward, and potentially dangerous situation.

If you encounter her again would you consider trying to find her caretaker? It seems sadly likely that she could get her dog injured due to her lack of understanding of the dynamics of dog behavior.

Soli Deo Gloria.-used by
Bach and Handel to sign their work-

Because when I see a Horse cantering
for the pure joy of it, or a Dog working
with their beloved person, I think to myself,
"Look what God did".
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

I work with people that have mental health and addiction issues..sounds like you did a good job. Situations like this make me wish

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page