German Shepherds Forum banner

Leave her with my husband or my parents?

909 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  pyratemom 
#1 ·
I just found out that I am possibly going to be going offshore for work for 30 days. It is a great learning opportunity, and nothing is set in stone yet, but I am trying to figure out what to do with Jade while I am gone.

I am the primary caregiver for Jade. My husband is her playmate. They play and rough house and wrestle, but he doesn't do any of the training or feeding or any of that. While I am fully confident that he could do it if necessary his schedule for the next few months is a bit crazy. He is finishing up his college degree and goes to school (over an hour away) from about 8am-9pm Tuesday and Thursday and he works from about 7am-6pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday. And he sometimes has to work weekends depending on what is going on. It is mostly the school days I am worried about. I normally work 8am-5pm and come home for an hour at lunch almost everyday. So it would be a bit of a schedule change for Jade. I know that she will adjust, I'm not sure it is the best option for her.

The other option is to have to stay at my parents house while I am gone. She adores my parents and loves to play with their lab. They live about 3 1/2 hours away. My mom's schedule is much more stable than my husband so I know that she would be getting feed at a reasonable time every day. The biggest hesitation I have is that she can be a bit of a handful and while I know my parents can handle it, I don't know if I want to force that upon them. My mom offered and said they would love to take her and I know that they would never complain but it is still a lot to ask.

I don't know what to do! Like I said, it isn't a for sure thing that I will be going, but I'm trying to get everything under control and in order if it does happen. Any ideas or thoughts? What would you do?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've left Echo with both my husband and my parents when I've gone out to sea. The stretch that I was gone for two months, they sort of traded off. It was a very similar situation- my husband worked very strange hours, and I felt bad leaving an exuberant teen-age puppy with my parents. My dad was always ecstatic to have him though. I think it really comes down to having a heart-to-heart with everyone involved. If your parents insist that they're OK with it, then I'd say that would be the better option.

#3 ·
I think you have to pick the solution you are most comfortable with so you won't have to worry. I know if I go away my first question is what about my dog. My husband would play with her but is not responsible on the diet and feeding at regular times or being responsible to keep with her training. My second solution is to board her but then she has little human interaction like she does at home - I work at home and am here all day except for one. The solution I always come up with is taking her with me. That way I don't worry about her and I know she is being taken care of. I realize you can't take her with you but it sounds like your parents are the best selection if they are home more and would stick to her schedule.

#6 ·
Well I just found out that I am going to be going. I am scheduled to leave on Oct 7th and will be gone around 30 days. My husband will keep her for the first week until my mom can drive down and pick her up.

I know that she will be well taken care of, but I just can't image being part from her for so long! :cry:

#8 ·
I'm glad you worked out a solution. I know it's hard to be away from them. I get separation anxiety when I am away from Raina. The month will go by fast and you will be back together sooner than you will realize. Good luck and may the Spirits watch over you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.