German Shepherds Forum banner

chihuahua owner claiming GSD attack his dog

4K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  jae 
#1 ·
#2 ·
German Shepherds 'play' very rough.
That looked like an attempt by the GSD to initiate play, using it's feet and prodding. I think if the shepherd had been attacking it would have bit the little dog or even grabbed it by the neck or head and then it might have been dead dog.
I have never seen any of ours ever attack anything but I saw Miss Molly react to a loose piece of rubber strip suddenly banging against the back window of our car at 60MPH the other day.
This is our 4th GSD and holy cow, such ferocity, she actually broke her collar (not connected to anything) off her neck, tore down the metal barrier and snarled, barked, showed her teeth and basically went ape poop. I guess it scared her pretty much and she was cornered in the back of the 4Runner.
If she had been after another dog, I wouldn't give two cents for the other's chances regardless of it's size.

#3 ·
The person claims it got more aggressive after they turned the camera off, so there's no real way to judge. But from the video the german shepherd is playing with its paws and it is using a soft mouth, so I believe during the video it was playing, although much too roughly for a chihuahua. It's possible it could have escalated after the chihuahua had a prey-like reaction. It must not have been raised around large dogs, because the little dogs I see at the dog park are tough and are quick to stand up for themselves and let big dogs know when they are being too rough.

#14 ·
The person claims it got more aggressive after they turned the camera off...
Actually... I claim that after the camera was turned off the shepherd rescued a little boy who fell in a nearby creek from drowning then immediately chased the big bad dogs away from the Chihuahua thereby saving it and then led it to a water dish for a refreshing drink, came back to its owner with today's newspaper in his mouth all the while leading a blind man away from nearby traffic.
Too bad they turned that camera off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9s-f98a_Nw

#5 ·
Ive seen this video and from what ive read (somewhere else forgot the site though) it seemed other large dogs took off after the small dog and chased it because they thought he was prey since he was scared and started running. Poor baby.

My gsd plays with my small dog like this all the time.

#6 ·
I agree that it probably escalated after the camera was turned off. Also that what we saw was the GSD initiating play, albeit too roughly for a Chihuahua. But it was probably pretty scary for the Chi's owners :(

It's too bad this happened. The Chi's owners said there were no signs, and there were small and large dogs mixed in both parks. But if that were the case, I wouldn't have taken my tiny dog inside an enclosure with several large dogs. The large dogs' presence would have been sign enough for me. Yikes.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
If I was a Chihuahua owner, I'd think it was an attack, too. Reason #4,632,981 not to go to dog parks! Even if that was play (looks that way to me, too) it was still enough to freak out the tiny dog and it's people, and the GSD gets a bad rap. I reign Jedda in when she starts with the paw up w/ little dogs; I've been on the scared owner side of that equation, and I don't want to inflict that on another.

#9 ·
One of the reason i don't like my dog to go hear small dog because a LOT of small dogs they don't socialize very well, mine was snapped several times by small dogs and they still blame on you. From that video, that chihuahua is not confident, scare... probably didn't socialize that well especially with larger dog. Owner panic, makes the situation worse than it looks. Now his title is completely misleading, it's more like GSD dominating chihuahua instead of ATTACK. and he wouldn't change it, typical chihuahua owner.

#10 ·
You can see from the video that the Chihuahua was not confident in that area. Running in between its owners, and when it stood there it was looking around a lot and its tail was down nearly between its legs. And the way it ran back to the woman and looked as though it was hiding near her legs before the GSD arrived. Not a confident dog to begin with. Still pretty scary for the owners of course!

#18 ·
A confident chihuahua? Such a thing doesn't exist. Brainless little mutants. Can't stand them.

#11 ·
A GSD does not attack Chis. Point of fact, if a GSD were to be aggressive with a Chihuahua the Chi would be dead. A Chi is a 10 pound noisy, moving sausage casing to a dog like a GSD.

Banjo as an 11 y/o elderly dog suffering late stage DM slapped my 60 pound Mal across the living room when she did something to set him off. She caromed off the wall with a loud thud and was back in his face just like any Mal would but he'd said his piece(and I had my hand on him). Banjo would have shot a wee dog like a Chi into low orbit with a shot like that and he was at possibly 50% of his physical prime.

#12 ·
Something I don't understand about this is why there wasn't any signs saying where little and big dogs should separated. If that actually was an aggressive gsd that chi would have some serious injuries, or if it got bad enough with an aggressive dog a chi could be dead in a minute. I personally hate it when owners let their small dogs in the big dog section. (everybody does it at my dog park) one day I had Jaxx at the dog park and nice family asked me if he was a gsd I said yes and they pet him for quite awhile. They had an aggressive chi that bit Jaxx under his eye and now he has a small scar there. I think if your going to take a small dog to the dog park you should put it in the right section.

#15 ·
Overanxious and new dog owners. :)

I was like that too. But after a year of daily watching dogs play at the dog park (Actually a state park that's very dog friendly) I've seen the evolution of many new, anxiety ridden dog owners into calm owners, whether they have small pups or smaller breed dogs.

And it looks like the GSD in the video was approaching and trying to greet, play. The chh didn't want to play however - it was terrified. The owners could have introduced the chh more gradually, and the GSD's owner could have called it back when it looks like chh doesn't want to play. But there's absolutely no "attack" going on like the overdramatic chh owners claimed.

What's next, a lawsuit? Gah I can't stand this over-litigious environment we live in nowadays.

#16 ·
I have no sympathy for this. The Chi shouldn't have been at a dog park... especially with mixed sizes. He wasn't comfortable from the start. He looked petrified. When the GSD came over, he was being playful and just checking the Chi out. The owner then panics.. so does the little dog.... and that to a GSD is reason more to play with it. Excitement builds drive... No aggression there. Just a very unstable dog and owner. So typical in the small breeds.

The owner posting this ridiculous, useless video and adding dramatic music is just annoying as heck. You don't see large dog owners posting dramatic music-filled videos like this of little rat dogs rushing theirs and nipping at them aggressively.... Over dramatic dogs for over dramatic owners. :rolleyes:

One of the many reasons these people and their dogs are just not my cup of tea. ;)

#17 ·
I think if the GSD was really going after the chi, it would have been dead. Looks like the GSD was trying to play.
Why people let their small dogs run loose when there are big dogs around is beyond me. Even if there is no sign, it is just common sense. That is like going to a park with a toddler, where a bunch of high schoolers are playing basketball or whatever, and letting the toddler run around on the court....

#20 ·
Why people let their small dogs run loose when there are big dogs around is beyond me. Even if there is no sign, it is just common sense.
IMO the park is a public place, small dogs are allowed. Why should they leave or leash their dog every time a big dog comes by? I think it's assumed that owners are responsible and if someone has an unstable dog they don't let it off leash.

I'm not implying that the gsd in the video was aggressive, I'm only replying to the statement above.

#23 ·
Ya know, in boxing, they do not set up fights between 110 pound guys and 220 pound guys, or 160 pound guys for that matter.

The idea of walking into a public park where there are dogs running around off-lead, and setting down a young puppy or tiny dog, and just expecting everything to be sweet and photo worthy, well, I don't know.

They have tea-cup agility. They should have a large dog section, a small dog section, and a toy/tea-cup section.

#26 ·
The park I go to has no sections and it's not a dog park per se. It's a regular park that allows dogs off leash when the park is closed.

I think the idea is that if your dog doesn't know how to behave you don't bring him to the park. Otherwise small dog owners shouldn't even bother, right? There will always be large dogs at the park and by this logic small dog owners are being careless by bringing their dogs there. So then all the parks with no rules become big dog parks?

I'm not being rude, i just never understood this reasoning and wondering what's behind it. And I don't have a small dog, so I'm not protecting my interests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.