insane things your cats pull on your dominant working dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

insane things your cats pull on your dominant working dogs?

Just so wierd because the dog has a dominant or very fiesty nature themselves? anyone have a dog like that and then get pushed around by your own cat? Well not pushed around but you know what i mean. I know its all well because cat is part of the pack and pack leader said cat has to be rspected but wow.

I dont feed my dog near the cat but the few timse ive dropped scraps while cooking they both jump for the scraps and the cat is wayyyyy more aggressive then the dog!

And today the cat actually stole my dogs new bed and mmy dog didnt care even? had that been another dog it would have been huge drama. But my dog just ignored it and went and sat in her crate.

Anyone else have things like this happen? its just comical if u knew the personality of the gsd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Banned

cats and dogs getting along isn't breed specific.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Elite Member

Cats don't get enough credit for being the nasty bad boys they really are. People see GSDs and think "hoo-boy there is a dog that could rip off an arm" while they are very very likely seeing a dog that would drown them with slobbery kisses. Cats are survivors. They are apex predators in a prey size frame, and they have developed a mindset to mitigate that. They see the hurty fleshy bits and go at them with claws that are sharpened daily on your leather couch. Dog bed < 4 hypodermics in nose....good dog, do my bidding. Now if kitty-kitty were to monkey with the pack, that's a bad day to be a cat.

Just for the record, none of this applies to a Malinois. Peppy is death incarnate for cats. They run, she chases. Too bad Mr. Kitty you just wakened the Lotus Exige of dogs and she's gonna catch you unless I give her the right command. Don't run kitty you are only gonna die tired.

Never cook bacon while naked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 PM

Red face

Well, I haven't tried a cat yet with my GSD, but several years ago I brought home a retired greyhound to see if she'd be OK with my cat, even though I was warned their prey drive would never let that happen. I walked in with Bella on a leash, and the cat literally exploded into about 3 times his size, and started growling and hissing, went totally jaguar, and that was it, cat ruled! Fergus (cat) actually loved dogs, and would snuggle up to them if they'd let him, I have pics of Bella looking at me like "aren't you going to do something about this?" when the cat got in her bed with her. I love watching animals enjoying each other's company!

Last edited by kjdreyer; 06-20-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: don't know why red face showed up on post
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Crowned Member

Our cat is a limp noodle with our dogs. There is no fight or flight, just plop down and meow. I suppose her behavior makes her less interesting? She's called a rag doll and I guess that's how most of them are, but if she gets outside and sees another cat she goes crazy and attacks it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

I have a suicidal cat.

He attacks Sierra, she just looks at him. He bats Banshee in the face and he gets in trouble from us but she does nothing. He attacks Caspian's (weekend foster) tail and Caspian ignores him. He attacks Chaos and she just steps over him.

But every once in a while, he gets bold and he forgets...and he attacks Jax. Game ON! And she stomps on his head.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

Well take a look at my video of Diesel...Felix the cat totally dominates the dog lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Knighted Member

Too funny! Our cat, Goo, loves the dogs specially Lakota. I have to get the video posted of them playing. They tend to go in a circle then Goo will attack Lakota or he will plop down on the ground while she continues to circle him. She's not stupid because she knows if kitty gets her it could hurt. I caught him biting her ears and she cries. Then I have to break them up because Lakota gets mad at him.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 AM

We don't own a cat which is probably a very good thing. Gypsy likes to chase them, at least the ones that are loose in our neighborhood and at our relatives' respective homes. To quote a line from a doberman in Oliver and Company, "I like cats. I like to eat them", demonstrates what I believe Gypsy thinks about cats.

RIP Bear 1992-2000
RIP Jenna DOB 11/26/00, came home on 12/29/00, and DOD 12/29/11- Your pawprints are written on my heart and I miss you every day.
GYPSY!!
DOB February 25, 2012-whom I call Psyscho Puppy with love.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Gunnar and my cat Dusty get along. Never had a problem with the two of them not getting along. After a year together though they are getting more and more fiesty with eachother! They love to play chase in the house and swat at eachother. Its so funny to watch! but at night they are both in bed with us and cuddle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page