Dobermans - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Dobermans

Who here has a dobie? What are they like as pets? Are there still good working stock being bred?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Master Member

They are very very Velcro and extremely lovable. A pain in the butt because they are SO smart..and Sooooo stubborn, which makes training very frustrating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gus- 07/21/2011
Daine- Doberman 10/19/2012
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

There is still good working dogs but you have to be careful.

Velcro - you do NOT know the meaning of Velcro until you have a Dobe. The Dobe Lean....it's called that because they constantly lean on you. GSD's want to be near you but they aren't ON you. A Dobe is ON you. They are great dogs, very sweet. A little stubborn. GSDs want to please you. A Dobe will want to know what's in for him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
There is still good working dogs but you have to be careful.

Velcro - you do NOT know the meaning of Velcro until you have a Dobe. The Dobe Lean....it's called that because they constantly lean on you. GSD's want to be near you but they aren't ON you. A Dobe is ON you. They are great dogs, very sweet. A little stubborn. GSDs want to please you. A Dobe will want to know what's in for him.
What Jax said lol they are amazing companions though.. and I myself am thinking of getting a Dobe as my second dog but will have to have one shipped or drive quite a ways as here it is illegal to dock tails and crop ears and the Dobes here just look funny with tails and floppy ears, I want them docked and cropped lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

I'm considering a dobie down the road... I love, love, love them and have had the privilege of working with a few really great ones who were fabulous to train with. I never really got to interact with them for any length of time in a non-training sort of environment (i.e. just hanging around the house) so I've always been really curious what they're like!

I'm used to the "what's in it for me" attitude, that's Echo
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM

I adore Dobes. As much as I love GSDs (a lot!), Dobes are my favorite breed. I've had 3 over the years. My last girl was 14 when I lost her.

Very clingy, and GOOFY. No one tells you how completely silly they can be. And they are very very smart. Now that doesn't mean that they are easy to train!
I had a trainer tell me that "with goldens you pattern, with shepherds you train, with dobermans you negotiate." So true!

And yes, Dobes have to be touching and leaning on you. Sitting on your feet, cramming into a chair with you...

I could go on and on! If I can swing getting a bigger place to live, I will definitely have another Dobe.

Go check out the parent club's website to get more info on breeders, etc. DPCA

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015

Last edited by dogfaeries; 02-21-2013 at 04:43 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Banned

My sister is a major Dobe fan. She's a Doberman person, I'm a GSD person. Some similarities but like others have said, Dobes are much more in your face wanting to be touched type of dogs. They will work, but instead of doing because you ask them to, they do it because they expect to get something in return.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Master Member

We have a dobie in our club, he's one of the goofiest, lovable dogs I've ever met.

I do know that they've had some problem with his skin.

Courtney M.
SG1
, BH 07/01/2013
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM

I had one years ago...everything that can be said of the breed has already been said here! I agree with all who say I love love love the breed! Mine was a huge Black & Tan. I had him & an Irish Setter at the same time. It's like they switched personalities - the Setter would yell at the mailman & the Dobie was a lap dog. Yep - Lap Dog. I'd sit on the floor & he'd meander over. Eye my lap. Then gently back himself onto my lap. I couldn't see the TV, but it worked for him!

If I could ever beat this cancer, I'd have another Dobie. And another Irish. Maybe a Rottie &/or Pit, too. Geez, I better start taking vitamins, huh?!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Crowned Member

My heart dog of all time was one, with natural ears and tail, so people tended to assume she was some other breed. She was all the things people said here - and mischievous in a super-clever sort of way.

I would still have a dobie if they didn't seem to have even worse health problems as a breed than GSDs. My last one only made it to 7 and broke my heart when she passed. That's when I went back to the GSD breed I'd grown up with. In my experience, it's rare to find someone with a very old dobie, sadly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page