Where Is The Best Place To Live For GSD Owners? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Where Is The Best Place To Live For GSD Owners?

So I'm wondering; where is the best place to live in the United States for GSD owners wishing to compete in various venues and have the best average of truly great breeders? I'm wondering this, because I have been considering moving for quite some time now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

MICHIGAN! UKC headquarters, lots of great breeders, lots of Dock Diving training/events, CPE agility all over, regular AKC events, some herding, sled pulling, weight pulling, lure coursing...

Yes.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Elite Member

German Shepherd land:

a fictitious world where we have a variety of sports available, good kibble, good raw food, big yards, near water, hiking trails, access to good vets and surrounded by other responsible GSD owners.

Ah, if only.

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

Not forgotten, Nasa, bengal, 16 weeks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

Good point. Two awesome, cheap raw food co ops in Michigan, lots of water/lakes, huge private dog parks, lots of daycares, some awesome vets and a LOT of training classes on the west side.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I have considered Michigan, but I absolutely hate the cold and can't drive too well in the snow
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

It really depends on the sport you want to pursue. Like DJEtzel mentioned...UKC is based in Michigan, and Michigan is one of the only places where you'll find consistent competition at the conformation shows. Schutzhund clubs are generally out in the boonies. The ones in the cities are quite expensive (if there is one in your city).

If you live in a large city and decide to join a club an hour or two away...costs go up, not just for gas but for the amount of time to drive to training (pretty much kiss your Sundays good bye).

I live in Milwaukee, I grew up and have friends in Chicago. There are Schutzhund clubs in Chicago, they are quite expensive...but there are no Schutzhund clubs in Milwaukee. I'd have to drive about an hour to get to my closest one (but its cheap, comparatively speaking). I train at the GSD Club of Wisconsin. I pay about $200 in dues and training fees a year for AKC obedience, rally, agility, and now conformation (with my working line). Milwaukee is also packed with public parks (people and dog). Fenced in ones for dogs, or large parks with golf courses, beaches, woods, hiking trails, ect. I've never had a problem going to one of the county parks and allowing my dog to run off lead...that would never happen in Chicago, way too many people and just a different mentality. I take my dog down to the beach (on Lake Michigan) and we go swimming and no one has a fuss about it. In Chicago there is a special "dog beach," costs $300 a year to use and its about 50 yards long.

I think you really need to figure out what you want to do with your dog and then decide based off that. Not sure if you're retired or need a job but that is also something to consider when it comes to moving. Large city...lots of opportunity. Small town...who knows?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM

I think San Diego is quite good. Lots of Schutzhund clubs (about 5 in the area), plenty of leash free dog parks/beaches including over 140 acres at fiesta island. Lots of dog friendly events and restaurants. Great weather all year round.
You can also drive to snow (in winter) in about 90 minutes for some snow fun with your GSD.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I would prefer a place that doesn't have very strict gun laws, as we are responsible gun owners as well and preferrably somewhere jobs are fairly plentiful with pretty good weather with mild winters. Thunderstorms don't bother us, but we don't really like the idea of living in a place where tornadoes are frequent. We were thinking about Texas, but I don't know how the GSD community there is.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM

any where you can take them to the country to run if you live close to the city . I live in city limits , but i am also close to where i can put them in the truck and take them for a run in the country . I have a pretty good size fenced backyard also . chaining a dog to tree , and them being cooped up in a kennel 24/7 is not a good thing

My pack

Cadie Belle Von female GSD

Maximus Shadow von Male GSD
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany.cole2013 View Post
I would prefer a place that doesn't have very strict gun laws, as we are responsible gun owners as well and preferrably somewhere jobs are fairly plentiful with pretty good weather with mild winters.
This is Virginia. Lots of guns, good jobs, and all four seasons (reasonable winter, though the summers can be hot and muggy). Plenty of dog friendly areas, but if you're looking for SCH, you're gonna have to drive to the more rural parts of the state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page