When did your dog become "aloof" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

When did your dog become "aloof"

To strangers that is?

Rogue is 7.5 months. She's friendly, but for the most part doesn't care about other people. She's all about her family. Unless its a kid. She loves kids. But she's always been this way. She's never been a lovey dovey, so excited to meet everyone kind of puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Knighted Member

I'm curious about this too... Ollie is all about people right now, he's like a golden retriever in his exuberance to meet everybody. Even when we take him to the off leash park he will go around and greet anybody who will pay attention to him. So not what I would think of for a GSD... Of course he is still young, almost 6 months. He also has a special fondness for kids, he absolutely adores them even though the hubby and I don't have kids.

But I've been wondering too about what age the aloofness might appear if ever.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Knighted Member

Right now at 15 weeks.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM

My male Dodge was always aloof, he just revolved around me Flattering yes, anyone could do anything to him and he would stand there and take it, but he was never a "I love everyone" kinda dog.

I always had to say to people, "don't take it personally, he just could care less about anyone but me"..Not a mean bone in his body, just didn't give a fig about anyone but me.

Masi is rather aloof and always has been, if your in my house/on my property, and you want to play ball/frisbee with her, she'll go until she drops dead, out in public, she has no desire to interact with people she doesn't know, just has no interest..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

When did your dog become "aloof"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
My male Dodge was always aloof, he just revolved around me Flattering yes, anyone could do anything to him and he would stand there and take it, but he was never a "I love everyone" kinda dog.

I always had to say to people, "don't take it personally, he just could care less about anyone but me"..Not a mean bone in his body, just didn't give a fig about anyone but me.

Masi is rather aloof and always has been, if your in my house/on my property, and you want to play ball/frisbee with her, she'll go until she drops dead, out in public, she has no desire to interact with people she doesn't know, just has no interest..
I couldn't have described rogue better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

I noticed it around 7-8 months, but it was probably before that. She loves people that she knows(but no one more then me), kids, and other dogs.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

With strangers I would say around 8 months he started. He would perk up when a human came up but immediately looked around to see if they had a dog with them No dog, no dice

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM

My Aussie is like Rogue and Dodge. Isn't it funny how they love kids though. I remember right after we got him (he was 5 when we got him) I was at a soccer game and he was resting behind my chair. Just happy to be next to me. Well, about midway through the game I turn to look at him and there are 3 toddlers sitting on the ground next to him poking and prodding - Buzz's face was just in an ear to ear grin he was so happy. I had never seen his face light up like that. I was so relieved because up until then I had no idea how he was with kids, I just knew he wasn't really interested in other adults. To this day I still wonder though about what parent would just let their toddler start poking at an 80 lb, unknown dog without talking to the owner. The parents weren't even with the kids.

Ranger on the other hand is not aloof. LOVES everyone.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Oh, so to answer your question it seems like they are either born that way or not. Is that what everyone else would say?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

My girl Diesel was all about me, even as a young pup she did not care for anyone except me and my EX... She even didnt care for other dogs even though we took her to the dog park often, she would never interact it was all about me and she never paid any attention to anyone else

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page