Need some help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Need some help!

So I found an apartment complex that allows big dogs but doesn't allow GSDs. I was always considering training for SAR or an eye seeing dog. If I let the property know that I am doing that, would that make a possible loophole? Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Need some help!

It really depends on the landlord,all you can do is ask. Strange that they won't let you have a GSD, I personally hate what people have done to ruin their reputations.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Banned

Is the seeing eye dog for YOU? Are you disabled or fall under the ADA definition of disabled? If not...then the dog isn't a service dog. A SAR dog isn't a service dog and would not be an exception. The reason the complex won't allow it is because of insurance, more likely than not they will not make any exceptions unless forced to by the law. You lying about the seeing eye dog thing is breaking the law.

Usually a service dog in training does not count as a full service dog so they do not HAVE to allow you to live there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

SAR dogs have no special consideration, even fully trained ones. It would also be unethical to say you were doing that if you were not already an active member of a SAR team or already working as a foster home with a seeing eye group (which means it is not going to be 'your' dog)

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Knighted Member

No loophole probably for larger complexes - their insurance rates and rules are predetermined. THIS is what I meant by waiting until after college and after you get a stable residence w/ a job - there are too many things up in the air for you right now to take on the responsibility of another being for the next 5-10yrs....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Need some help!

Catastrophe averted! I spoke to the manager at the complex and he said GSDs are in fact allowed!

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
No loophole probably for larger complexes - their insurance rates and rules are predetermined. THIS is what I meant by waiting until after college and after you get a stable residence w/ a job - there are too many things up in the air for you right now to take on the responsibility of another being for the next 5-10yrs....
this isn't a post you should just gloss over. i would venture to say if you proceed we will be seeing your gsd posted in the rescue section. i know when i was in college, between working, studying and a social life and all that entails, there wasn't enough time or funds for a gsd.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
this isn't a post you should just gloss over. i would venture to say if you proceed we will be seeing your gsd posted in the rescue section. i know when i was in college, between working, studying and a social life and all that entails, there wasn't enough time or funds for a gsd.
I realize that. But I made a very flexible schedule and this summer I'll be free except for when I'm working, to train and bond with my dog. Money is not really an issue for me at the moment because I've been saving since I was a kid. And by the time school starts again in the fall I'll have my dog trained to the point where I can leave him alone for a couple hours a day while I'm at class. This wasn't an overnight decision. I've been thinking about this for about a month or two now and did all my homework, calculations, etc. I know it's no walk in the park but I have the confidence, time and patience to make this work.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 PM

I would get the "ok" in writing from your landlord just to cover yourself

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I would get the "ok" in writing from your landlord just to cover yourself
Excellent advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page