I'm sure I'm not the only one - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure I'm not the only one

Who is disgusted by the media on how they portray these amazing and loyal companions. I can't stand how a huge population of people look at GSDs as if they're monsters. They just don't seem to grasp the concept that it's the OWNERS who train dogs to be bad and the breed itself isn't. I have met many lovable pit bulls and you could never tell that they're known for dog fighting. Because of this, I'm thinking about starting an awareness group/program at my school to educate people on this topic. They need to see past the media's portrayal and realize that GSDs are in fact an amazing companion and not a mindless monster. Sorry about the rant but I'm fed up with it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM

The owners certainly DO make a huge difference. When I was 7 I was attacked by a GSD who was stuck in his yard alone all day and never got out...until he did. He pushed me to the ground and attacked my rib cage. Thankfully he didn't do too much damaged, but I had a lot of cuts. That didn't make me think GSDs were monsters, or make me scared of dogs, but I'm lucky enough to have been around big dogs all my life. People get dogs expecting them to just lay around and not need any training or interaction. Its just not the case. They learn this and its too late so they don't want to get rid of him, and the dog becomes a nuisance. Its sad and frustrating. GSDs, as well as all the rest of the "aggressive" breeds certainly do make amazing best friends.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Elite Member

Its not just GSD's its rotti's, dobes, pits (or well any bully breed for that matter) cane corsos, I know a lot of people afraid of huskies and malmutes... so its not just GSD's... I dont think the people that are afraid of these types of dogs are going to change their mind, it has been ingrained in society for many many a year, but you have to look at the up side too, there are many people that think that these dogs ARE the amazing lovable, loyal, intelligent animals they are, and not just "mindless monsters", I think over the years the perception will change a little...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 PM

i have a pure black gsd with light gold eyes , she intimidates people on a daily basis they judge her without knowing her , although i must say she doesnt befriend anyone too quickly , but they mostly say its the size and the eyes that creeps them out
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM

Farmers Insurance says it will no longer cover pit bull terriers, Rottweilers and wolf hybrids. Are GSD next?

Major Insurance Company Announces It Will No Longer Cover Certain Dog Breeds | Demas Law Group - JDSupra

"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like, has never washed a dog."

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM

I dislike it as well. Many breeds that tend to get bad-mouthed often are misguided by their owners who lack the care, training, exercise for their dogs and then put a stereotype on the breed because of it. Certain breeds were bred for a purpose so they will all have different temperaments, personalities, attributes, appearances that set them a part, like for example how the Pit Bull was originally bred to bait bulls back in the day so they will incidentally come with the prey drive for that. Sometimes I think people should be banned from owning certain breeds or dogs in general. I'm actually an admin for a BSL group on DeviantART.com where we educate others on breed discrimination: #stopBSL on deviantART - we also have a Facebook page as well: https://www.facebook.com/StopBSLonDeviantART

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Crowned Member

imho, if you put together a substandard breeder, an ill informed owner together with a lack of training you get many unstable dogs. add this to the folks who want a gsd to act and look "tough" and you can see how this all comes about. popularity is never good for any breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page