Outside - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Outside

Hi again all.

Quick question. My dog is 9 months old now and getting big. I am wanting to leave him during the day out of the crate. He isn't bad for chewing furniture but is a nightmare for destroying his bedding. I am going to put a doggy gate on the kitchen and let him roam in there during the day so when he sleeps he can proper stretch out and play with his toys. The weather will start to get nicer as we pull away from winter and what I would like to know is if I buy a doggy house for my garden , can I leave him in the garden to roam and play? It's escape Proof and in Scotland we have no wolfs or cougars or anything like that. I have no issues with him being in the house so this isn't for my benefit before anyone calls me cruel. I come home for an hour at lunch and my girlfriend comes home for a further hour after me so he wouldn't be out all day alone. He alone in his crate currently and his nature and temprement is perfect. This is purely for his benefit to enjoy the sun and a tad more freedom. I won't put him out if it's horrid weather or cold. Just days it's nice and I will get a kennel of sorts for if it rains etc? Any views are welcome . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

I wouldnt leave my dog outside by him/herself... even if your backyard is "escape proof" (which to me would mean 9ft fence all around and chain link under the wooden fence into the ground like 4ft all around to prevent from "digging out"). And you may not have wolves or coyotes or mountain lions ect. but that does not mean the outside world is safe, there are cars, people, other dogs ect... the dangers are just too high...If you have no problem leaving him in the house then I would suggest doing that, and only letting him in the backyard when you are home and can supervise him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Knighted Member

Get a kennel to keep him contained and get a dog house so he can get out of the sun/rain/wind if need be. Consider flooring if the dog digs or eats yard debris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Master Member

Outside

I leave my dog in a fenced in backyard that includes a dog house. However, people need to leave their dogs out while the owner can watch and make sure the yard is escape proof and safe. What about other dogs climbing in?

Once I am sure the dogs are fine outside then they are left for short periods of time and working up to the entire work day.

This is my 3rd GSD and they have all done fine in the yard. Also, my house is in the country so their is not pedestrian traffic and I have locks on my gates. Otherwise I would not leave my dogs in a yard unattended.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

HIC, CD, IPO 2

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

Fence jumping by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

I do not leave my dog alone in the fenced yard for obvious reasons. If they want out, they will figure out a way.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

too many things can happen when you are not home. i like the kitchen idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page