Advice about adding new GS pup with senior that has hip problems.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Advice about adding new GS pup with senior that has hip problems....

Has anyone had any experience like this....

I have always wanted two German Shepherds. Been thinking seriously about it the last couple of years. $$ has been the problem. I have a chance if I don't delay to long to purchase a GS pup that has the same bloodline my Kaos (9 and a half years old) does. Kaos loves other dogs and puppies. So getting along isn't a problem. It will take him all of two seconds to bond and want to be the new guys other shadow. My concern is he has bad hips that will only get worse. For instance he will go up steps one at a time. His walks need to be short etc etc. So I need to act sooner rather then later. I hope/pray Kaos has many years left but his mobility will only get worse... The question is. A new puppy will have tons of energy. Will go on long walks. Be able to run and jump......Any advice on how to keep my Kaos from trying to keep up with the new puppy without over extending or hurting himself?? Or (for lack of a better description) having his feelings hurt because there will be times he just can't come along with us and needs to stay home.... I know this sounds stupid but it does concern me....

Thanx Much in advance.....

Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KB007
I have a senior and just got a pup. Rocky is more than happy to lounge on the couch while Layla and I go for our walks, outings ect. I worried about this too but it hasn't been an issue.

Rocky - GSD 6/21/2003
Toto - Rat Terrier 10/2002-9/2014
Layla Vom True Haus - 12/09/2012
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Knighted Member

I had a 14 year old male GSD when I got Jasira as an 8 week old puppy. I had to keep them apart because she wanted to play and he was to old to do it. My poor old baby; I guess it's your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KB007
You want the new pup to bond with you anyways, not the other dog. When I'm not directly interacting with Layla she is in her X pen. Rocky tolerates her, but doesn't engage her in play whatsoever.

Rocky - GSD 6/21/2003
Toto - Rat Terrier 10/2002-9/2014
Layla Vom True Haus - 12/09/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page