Male or Female - How to choose? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Male or Female - How to choose?

I have the luxury of spending the next 8 weeks visiting the litter of GSD's from which I get to choose my puppy. Of course over that period of time their personalities will begin to emerge and certain pups will be drawn to me and me to them, but my SO and I have not yet decided if we want to get a male or a female. Reason it's important to us?

We have a female (spayed) border terrier, 2 yrs old, and a male (neutered border collie/lab mix (9 yrs old). The dogs we "hang out with" most often are his brother's two, a female spayed border collie and a spayed female corgi mix, and my sister's unspayed female chihuahua. (She plans on spaying her soon)

We do like the aspect of unhindered belly rubs on female dogs, and the fact that females tend not to pee all over everything in strange areas.

But, with so many females interacting, there may be a chance of more tension/stress/pecking order problems etc right?

And of course burn marks on the lawn in the yard aren't pretty but we don't really care so much about that...

I want this dog as a tracking/schutzhund/obedience dog.

Any thoughts? Is a female appropriate or are we asking for a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 AM

Here's a very good article on the male vs female discussion I've found, they give the high/lowlights of each gender.

Male vs Female
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 AM

Male or Female - How to choose?

I have never owned a male GSD, but currently do have a 10month old female. I think honestly it's about how you raise them, I mean if you socialize a girl with all the dogs you want her to be around regularly then you shouldn't have a problem.
Either male or female are both going to be boisterous as young dogs and no doubt the older dogs will want to put them in line.
We have a 13year old male boxer, 6yr old female beagle and 4yr old male pug. The pack has balanced my girl from time to time when she has stepped over the edge, and she went through a stage of trying to play to rough. But now she has matured a lot, they get along fantastically. I still have to interfere at times when I see play becoming too rough for the smaller dogs (even though they instigate it) simply because I want them all safe and well.

As for training, Rain is very smart, gives me constant eye contact and is always waiting for "what's next". She is very protective of her yard, we always know if somebody has come onto the property or if something is different.

I really think its about personal preference as well as discovering the tolerance in your pack for the different sexes. I personally would sus out what sex your 2yr old female is going to be more tolerant of, because of the smaller age gap, they will have to tolerate one another for the longest time and are most likely going to play with one another more often then the others as she is still a young dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Banned

Unless you are concerned about the sesasons - it doesn't make a difference male/femasle. There are a LOT more differences in personality between individual dogds than anyone can state between male/female dogs ass as rule.

There may be more statistical differences between M/F BUT any good breeder or puppy observer can pick the best personality of a puppy, if you can tell them what you are looking for accurately.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post

We have a female (spayed) border terrier, 2 yrs old, and a male (neutered border collie/lab mix (9 yrs old). The dogs we "hang out with" most often are his brother's two, a female spayed border collie and a spayed female corgi mix, and my sister's unspayed female chihuahua. (She plans on spaying her soon)
With current pack structure and playmates, a male would be the better choice. Way to many females and to close in age. If your current pack was reversed in age(female being oldest) then it might work better. I'm also thinking that the border terrier has or can have an attitude? That alone might not work with the next female. I have one male and he squats when he pees, lots of males squat, maybe you'll get lucky and have a squatter and as far as pee spots, I've heard adding apple cider vinegar to the water will reduce that.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page