German Shepherds Forum banner

is it normal for a gsd to toss and turn all night?

6K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  hunterisgreat 
#1 · (Edited)
as long as my dog is not licking or itching ? just get up and change positions 1000000x? Mine doesnt want to sleep in its crate anymore wants to sleep on the floor of my bedroom which is flat carpet. She goes back to her crate by herself in the morning though. Shes never allowed on my bed.

Is it cause carpet is just not comfortable? She had her own bed down there but she shreded it up.

#3 ·
Jazz plops herself in front of the bedroom door and doesn't budge until morning. I literally have to force the door open to get out of the bedroom should I happen to need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. She may shift positions once or twice a night, but not much more than that.

#7 ·
can it just be high energy working line?
Jazz is working line, and pretty high energy as well ... Sometimes crazy high energy, but when she settles, she settles. How much exercise is she getting? Have you tried taking her for a walk right before bed, or maybe a training session right before bed?

#5 ·
Gus gets up and moves a lot. I think its because after he lays on my carpet for a period of time that spot gets too warm for him. Hes always been that way when he lays on carpet. now stick him on tile in front of a drafty door and he wont budge!

#6 ·
Avery moves about at night. He usually starts at the foot of my bed (I have cold feet and he is the best warmer), after about 20 minutes he jumps down and walks in his crate, lays in there for a while before finally making it to the floor in my side of the bed. He also will sit still in front of a drafty door for hours on end.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#9 ·
Odin sleeps very sound for about four hours, then he is up, pacing....and he wakes Storm, and they are both pacing.....so outdoors they go for a few hours, then they come in and sleep like rocks. And they get plenty of exercise. High energy.....we call them crackheads. haha.

He will get hot and move to the french doors to soak up any incoming cool air, he is a great air leak blocker!

#10 ·
Stella moves around a bit until she finally finds "the spot". Then she usually stays there till morning. But she moans and groans an awful lot....

#12 ·
My dog changes position at night. Few sleepless nights on my part, I noticed the dog slept on all 4 beds in the room and I didn't count how many times she rotated on the beds plus the times she slept on the rug. She does the same with toys - she has a lot and will go thru 5 toys or more under a minute. Don't know if it's a female thing... can't make up her mind?

#15 ·
My dogs do get up and move around, or patrol during the night. Kacie is about the only one that stays put. I think the nocturnal cats get the dogs attention.

I'm a light sleeper so I wake up whenever a dog stirs. I wish I could just sleep through one night!

#17 ·
I never realized how much my dogs move until the power went out for like 4 hours one night! Licking, groaning, whimpering in dreams, changing positions.... I sleep with a large box fan on high right next to my bed (it blows away from me unless it's summer). It's great for white noise but I'm addicted to it. I *cannot* sleep without it (I also have tinnitus and the "rushing" noise in my ears drives me insane). When I was in DC with my mom, I had to download an mp3 that sounded like a fan and set my computer to play it all night.

#18 ·
I have had tinnitus since October. It is driving me nuts! I sleep with an air purifier nearby, and cannot stand quiet. I have to have background noise on where ever I am. I wish there was a cure for it.

#19 ·
My dad has it (and is losing his hearing too), plus I've been to so many U2 concerts (and cover bands) standing right next to speakers and I listen to music on my cans WAY too loud :( I have several very high pitched squeals and then the "whooooshing" sound. Silence drives me batty! In a hotel I run the air unit and the bathroom fan, and bring along a smaller travel fan.

#21 ·
Shasta shifts around a little but very rarely does she wake me up. She crashes out pretty nicely most of the time.

#22 ·
Our pup likes to reposition quite a bit, Zoey (medium drive) is a door blocker and Tuke (low drive) likes the foot of the bed, neither will wander or pace. Tuke dreams a lot, complete with twitching, running, moaning, yapping ect... Every single night, multiple dreams a night.
I have severe hearing loss and have to use hearing aids to communicate and I also have tinnitus. Mine use to sound like crickets or electricity bugs, it didn't bother me, now it just goes EEEEeEeEee! :)

#23 ·
Mine doesn't toss and turn, but she does move a couple times. I have noticed that she has to have a good view of the door

#24 ·
Sometimes Lakota flops around like a fish, thats when I make her get off the bed. It probably wouldn't be so bad but she has to lay on me or at least rest her head on me.

#26 ·
as long as my dog is not licking or itching ? just get up and change positions 1000000x? Mine doesnt want to sleep in its crate anymore wants to sleep on the floor of my bedroom which is flat carpet. She goes back to her crate by herself in the morning though. Shes never allowed on my bed.

Is it cause carpet is just not comfortable? She had her own bed down there but she shreded it up.
Mine is the same as yours. Bear will get up a billion times in the middle of the night and change sleeping spots. He will not sleep on a bed or in our bed for that matter. We've invited him up but he will not get in our bed with us. What a weird dog!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.