Little dog litter box with big dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Little dog litter box with big dogs?

Not sure where to put this question.

I have 3 dogs my 2 big ones are very well potty trained. The little one can't hold it very long and is getting lazy. He is peeing all over the house now since we had to close the doggie door. We have to pick him up and bring him outside in the morning because he does not want to go out. He is a cat dog.

I want to start creating him at night. Because the pee spots turn up in the morning. I let him out right before bed but it's not good enough. I am getting conceded it could be a medical problem and will have him checked. He does have bad little dog knees. I thinking creating him at night would be the best thing. Kind of rehouse train him.

My husband likes the idea of a dog litter box. I think it's a bad idea seeing that we have 2 other dogs. I don't want the other dogs smelling pee in the house and think they can go too? Anyone have a big dog with a little dog that uses a litter box?

Cookie - 4yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 8 Yr Pom/chi mix
Meatball- OLD! pit bull rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper311 View Post
Not sure where to put this question.

I have 3 dogs my 2 big ones are very well potty trained. The little one can't hold it very long and is getting lazy. He is peeing all over the house now since we had to close the doggie door. We have to pick him up and bring him outside in the morning because he does not want to go out. He is a cat dog.

I want to start creating him at night. Because the pee spots turn up in the morning. I let him out right before bed but it's not good enough. I am getting conceded it could be a medical problem and will have him checked. He does have bad little dog knees. I thinking creating him at night would be the best thing. Kind of rehouse train him.

My husband likes the idea of a dog litter box. I think it's a bad idea seeing that we have 2 other dogs. I don't want the other dogs smelling pee in the house and think they can go too? Anyone have a big dog with a little dog that uses a litter box?
I think it's a very good idea. If smelling pee made the other dogs pee in the house, wouldn't they already be peeing in the house?

I'd plan to confine the little dog in a smallish area with the box while he gets used to it. And I'd also use something like pine shavings or pine pellets, not a sand or clay-type of cat litter.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Eevee was litterbox trained and Zoey never used the bathroom in the house. We started off on pee pads but she kept missing a little off of them so I switched to a cat box and actually used cat litter for her. Lol! Never had a problem. Now she goes outside like a big girl but it was SUPER helpful when she was little. I say go for it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 PM

can you buy one of the pet gates that allow small animals to pass through, but not the big ones?
that's what i use for my cats. they have their own room where no other dogs can go.

petsmart carries the pet gates.
something like this....
Top Paw&#174 Extra Tall Pet Gate with Small Pet Door - Tension Mounted Gates - Gates - PetSmart
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck View Post
can you buy one of the pet gates that allow small animals to pass through, but not the big ones?
that's what i use for my cats. they have their own room where no other dogs can go.

petsmart carries the pet gates.
something like this....
Top Paw® Extra Tall Pet Gate with Small Pet Door - Tension Mounted Gates - Gates - PetSmart
Thanks everyone.

I had the idea of making it so the other dogs can't go in indy's room. I am going to create him at night for sure he can not be trusted. At our old house he had a doggy door to his own deck that was his potty Zone. Now in this new house it's like I need to re potty train him.

I will look into a litter box.

Cookie - 4yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 8 Yr Pom/chi mix
Meatball- OLD! pit bull rescue
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:06 PM

Control Kitty Litter Box

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I had the idea of making it so the other dogs can't go in indy's room. I am going to create him at night for sure he can not be trusted. At our old house he had a doggy door to his own deck that was his potty Zone. Now in this new house it's like I need to re potty train him.

Will post picture later, but we put our litter box for kitty up on end table in corner of our bedroom. Keeps dog out and kitty has easy access.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:10 PM

Litter Box Training

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

We are getting 8 week GSD in of March. This is first time we have not had a doggy door, but cannot do that with our Bengal.
So going to use litter box and when he tells me he knows the litter box is the correct location, we will put another litter box in the yard and take away the one in the house. Hopefully, that will make the transition from inside to outside easier. Of course, we will have to wait until his bladder can hold about 4 hours worth of pee, until then we will be crating, indoor potty box, and frequent trips to the backyard. ... keeping our fingers crossed. What is the best filler for the potty box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page