Renting a home with a GSD.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Renting a home with a GSD..

So if this thread has been done in the past, I couldn't find it so please please share your experiences and opinions...

I bought my GSD in Germany when I was stationed there.. finding a house that allowed me to rent with him was easy peasy! Nothing to it! However, I got moved back to the states, NW Florida. Finding a place to rent here was one of the more frustrating experiences of my life! "Oh we accept all dogs, no weight limit." "Oh awesome, I have a GSD." "Oh except those." Or just plain "All dogs except Pits, Rots, dobys, and GSDs." I lucked out and found a place about 45 minutes from where I work where the owner used to have huge dogs so she understood and let me have him there. That being said. I LOVE my place.. I just wish it were closer to my work and my SO, more so for gas reasons and timing.. I started the search again to rent when my lease is up in Sept.. which I know is far far away but I would rather keep an eye out now, you know? Anyways.. I am still running into that problem.. with the whole GSD not being allowed deal. I can find some apartments that will allow him and a couple house saying no restrictions on pets, just must be adult and house trained. I haven't called them yet because well I'm not ready to rent, more so just looking at the options.

Anyways.. after ranting on and on.. what I'm curious about is if you guys have had similar experiences, how did you go about them besides buying the place, and are there things that I can do to get Titan approved by insurance companies that might make them look over his breed, e.g., CGC cert, pet insurance, etc..

Anything would be helpful.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Knighted Member

If his temperment is that good, how about TDI certification (therapy dog). A letter from a certified trainer about his temperment and training. But above all a hefty security deposit.
Unfortuantely a few bad apples spoiled a lot of peoples perception.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

When I rented I was able to find places that allowed 2 germans shepherds-some of those places were town homes-but I didn't want people on both sides of me so ended up renting a house-they do say that having a CGC helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 AM

We had the same problem when we moved to Pensacola a couple weeks ago. Luckily we found a house that the owner didn't care about the dogs, and said as long as she's well-behaved and not aggressive that we could have her. (We live about 10-15 minutes from Corry Station Naval Base.)

Down here, it's an insurance issue. If your dog gives the insurance company a bad taste in their mouths, then they will cut off the house owner's insurance. The insurance companies have a "restricted breeds list" the tends to stretch across the US, so you're likely to run into this problem several times while you're renting. (Yay, military!)

I am Jessica! C=
~*~ Sophie || Female, intact || 11 MAR 11
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
If his temperment is that good, how about TDI certification (therapy dog). A letter from a certified trainer about his temperment and training. But above all a hefty security deposit.
Unfortuantely a few bad apples spoiled a lot of peoples perception.
He has extremely good temperament.. very calm unless you want to play then he's balls to the wall energetic, lol. The only thing I am working on right now is his meeting and greeting people. Doesn't jump or anything just gets overly excited, whines, and drags me (usually we are walking) over there to sniff the heck out of them, then comes and sits back down next to me.. working on that!

I have thought about asking if I could just double the security deposit or something but most say it's a matter of their insurance companies, not necessarily that they don't like the breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
When I rented I was able to find places that allowed 2 germans shepherds-some of those places were town homes-but I didn't want people on both sides of me so ended up renting a house-they do say that having a CGC helps
Good to know.. we are finishing and refresher obedience class now and I'm looking at getting him in the CGC class after.. I would hope that would. We are also part of a Search and Rescue team.. working towards Certifying which I know once that happens he will be good to go.. but that won't be for another year.. unless we progress quickly.. which is possible.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieGSD View Post
We had the same problem when we moved to Pensacola a couple weeks ago. Luckily we found a house that the owner didn't care about the dogs, and said as long as she's well-behaved and not aggressive that we could have her. (We live about 10-15 minutes from Corry Station Naval Base.)

Down here, it's an insurance issue. If your dog gives the insurance company a bad taste in their mouths, then they will cut off the house owner's insurance. The insurance companies have a "restricted breeds list" the tends to stretch across the US, so you're likely to run into this problem several times while you're renting. (Yay, military!)
Well cool that you are in Pensacola! We go there for SAR training at the UWF fields on saturdays! I LOVE the area!! How do you like it so far?

And for the renting.. I figure it's all about the insurance companies for the most part.. just wish it were a little easier, lol.. and yeah now I have to worry about the GSD breed factor then the size of my Boerboel when she gets older.. lol.. hopefully I am here for a good little bit, but who knows.. the military loves to play games! lol.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned

We didn't have issues because for some reason there are a lot of apartment complexes that allow GSDs in my area. That said, there are no certifications (except service dog) that will allow you to live in a place where your breed is banned due to insurance issues. There was a poster earlier this month wondering about a CGC that said they looked up some apartments that did tell them they make exceptions for certain breeds that have CGC.

I didn't call any private rentors but I think some of them would be more open minded if you offer a larger deposit. But I wouldn't bank on getting the CGC and being allowed to live somewhere that doesn't already state an exception for it.

The issue with insurance is that your renter's insurance should cover anything your dog does inside your apartment/place you're renting. The owner's insurance would cover anything your dog does to anyone on their property. So unless you can somehow cover that insurance policy's premium for allowing your breed, its kind of impossible to get them in there.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Elite Member

I agree, it is insurance, plus the landlords don't want too much damange to their property. You cannot place a deposit large enough that would cover refinishing of the scratched hardwood and doors, for example. The carpet will have to be replaced, walls repainted, yard resodded, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I spoke with my renter's insurance and they said that a dog attack would fall under liability which is covered in my policy.. is that something that would help? Or is it also the damages done by said dog to the home?

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Banned

An attack inside your rental unit yes...an attack outside would be covered by both insurance companies, but when it comes to a lawsuit they will go after the entity with the most money, which in this case would always be the owner of the rental unit and therefore their insurance company usually doesn't allow the dog in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page