Advice. To give or not to give? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Advice. To give or not to give?

Is it better to give solid advice or to give any old advice based on your experiences, knowledge, gossip, etc?

Am asking because I am a first time dog owner with 2 dogs. I enjoy sharing my views, my stories, my experiences etc but I don't want to offend anyone and I definitely don't want to give bad advice (never intentional)...

The thing I've noticed on here is that people aren't afraid to state that someone else's is wrong, which I do not mind at all.

But, should I keep my mouth shut if I am iffy about something or do my best anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

I think it's fine to give advice based on your own experience, so long as you qualify it with something like, "In my experience. . " or "What I've seen with my own dogs is. . . "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM

I tend to do as emoore said...no one's an 'expert', but there are alot of things that may have worked for me, that might work for someone else

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Knighted Member

I think advice should be qualified such as my experience is.

I did, heard, read, saw etc...

There are some people on here that don't need to do that because they have so many years of experience that it is obvious. You will realize who they are after awhile.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

You can give whatever advice you want to give. I usually qualify it if it is not something I experienced, but something that is typical, like "You might try NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free). You can Google it. I don't use NILIF with my dogs, but lots of people here have found it very helpful."

Telling people they are wrong, kind of goes over like a ton of bricks sometimes, especially when there are only a finite number of things that are totally black and white. Most things, somewhere lay in the realm of opinions, and while some opinions may be better constructed, more popular, better explained, they are still opinions. And even if you are 100% sure you are right and they are wrong, this:

"What I have experienced is that a healthy dog will not starve himself to death, if you pick the food up after 15 minutes and then wait until his next meal time, he will probably eat it eventually."

goes over a whole lot better than,

"You're wrong, spicing up a dog's food to get him to eat it is just going to make him a picky eater."

If you tell enough people they are wrong, then someone will probably start a rude-thread to complain about how people come across.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Y

Telling people they are wrong, kind of goes over like a ton of bricks sometimes, especially when there are only a finite number of things that are totally black and white. Most things, somewhere lay in the realm of opinions, and while some opinions may be better constructed, more popular, better explained, they are still opinions. And even if you are 100% sure you are right and they are wrong, this:

"What I have experienced is that a healthy dog will not starve himself to death, if you pick the food up after 15 minutes and then wait until his next meal time, he will probably eat it eventually."

goes over a whole lot better than,

"You're wrong, spicing up a dog's food to get him to eat it is just going to make him a picky eater."

If you tell enough people they are wrong, then someone will probably start a rude-thread to complain about how people come across.
You're wrong.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
You're wrong.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I tend to do as emoore said...no one's an 'expert', but there are alot of things that may have worked for me, that might work for someone else
I'd much rather "share my experiences" than "give advice". I don't know if I'm qualified to tell someone else what they should do with their own dog - no matter how well I think I know and can read my own dogs, I don't know theirs at all! Nor do I know their level of training experience, or their timing and skill. But I do what has worked for me and what hasn't. And like Diane said, if it worked for me, maybe it would work for someone else too.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Crowned Member

I just give suggestions, unless its something I know for sure that works but even then its just an' opinion' I love gsd's just like everyone else here i dont want to see anything happen to anyones dog and if I think maby a suggestion will help...I give it

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Banned

There is a wide variety of advice available here.
Some of it is based on a combination of reading and actual experience. Some of it based on the advisor's 'logic'. Most of it based on some combination of these. In the end it is all opinion. Because one person's experience, reading or logic does not necessarily apply in the subject case. So when a thread is created, the OP should let the thread live for a while and ripen on the vine then go back and read through all of the 'contributions' and go with what makes sense to the OP.
When giving advice, I try (usually unsuccessfully) to remember to include a JMHO or IMHO because I only know what I have experienced, read or surmised.
And that is all subject to my limited mental capabilities.

Last edited by PaddyD; 03-15-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page