We FINALLY found a place!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Talking We FINALLY found a place!!

So I've been looking for a place for me and Kendra to move into and everything that we could afford didn't allow pets, and every place that did allow pets was WAY out of our price range. So last night I responded to an ad for a one bedroom apartment that was pet friendly and after talking to the landlord we filled out an application and put down a deposit! We move in two weeks! The best part is, it's only two blocks away from the river pathway! This gives us great opportunities to run and train along that area! I'm so excited as it will be my first place on my own!

So any of you guys have your GSD's in an apartment? Any tips on how to ease her adjustment to the place? How do you guys find living in an apartment with your dogs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kendra - B/T GSD Female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R.I.P. Apollo. You will always be my special "boo bear"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Crowned Member

I can't offer any advice on apartment living with a GSD. I'm sure Kendra will adjust fine and others will have helpful hints.

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your new place. That is really awesome. I hope you and Kendra will be very happy there.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 AM

so it's up to you to keep your dog calm, she's going to hear all kinds of things she's never heard before. people walking / playing above you/below you. leave it is a great command, so hopefully she'll just ignore other peoples living sounds, but if she doesn't use leave it.
rain or shine, sick or healthy, you're going to potty walks, every day.

is she crate trained?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Elite Member

Congrats!

I lived in an apartment with my Dutch Shepherd. The key was to have a very good, strong "hush" command as people were walking past our windows and making all kinds of noise all the time. We walked 3 times a day at least, on days I worked. Once in the am when I got home (I worked third shift), once in the afternoon when I woke up and once before I went to work (at night). He did fine. I usually did one potty break with a long hike or one potty break with a chuck-it session each day. One of his meals he worked for (obedience training etc).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

Congrats on the new place, I bet your girl will adjust just fine.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM

Congratulations on the new apartment! As others have said, Kendra will adjust nicely.

Whitney von Hena-C 03/08/2003
Otto GSD 01/08/2011

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck View Post
so it's up to you to keep your dog calm, she's going to hear all kinds of things she's never heard before. people walking / playing above you/below you. leave it is a great command, so hopefully she'll just ignore other peoples living sounds, but if she doesn't use leave it.
rain or shine, sick or healthy, you're going to potty walks, every day.

is she crate trained?

Thanks for the input! We will be on the top floor of a 3 storey building. She is pretty good with her leave it command, I've been working on it with her since I got her last April. We will be coming from a townhouse with no yard so I am used to going out every time with her on a leash for potty breaks. She is also used to hearing some movement currently from the houses beside us, so I'm hoping that will help her out also! Oh and yes she is crate trained.

Thanks for all the congrats and hints you guys! We are pretty excited for moving day! Just have a LOT of packing to do!

Kendra - B/T GSD Female

R.I.P. Apollo. You will always be my special "boo bear"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page