So I know everyone thinks dog parks are bad but... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

So I know everyone thinks dog parks are bad but...

How do you guys feel about dog beaches? I'd like to go to one if the new dog is dog friendly, but I don't know if I should or not. We don't have any places with water around here (that you can go into), other than dog beaches, so I was just wondering.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

I take Bianca to the dog beach, but I also take her to dog parks. Actually I've seen more "problem dogs" at the beach than I have ever seen at the dog parks total, even though we have been to the dog parks way more often than the beach.
Around here you can't take dogs on the "human" beaches so we have to go to to the dog beaches or none. All the dog beaches here are also fenced off like a dog park.

Bianca loves the beach, here are some pics:

With her best friend Calvin:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Elite Member

I've never heard of a dog beach, but that's probably because few, if any of our beaches allow dogs around here. (VA BEACH folks, let me know if this is wrong info!!) I would have less of an issue at the beach, since the dogs are not confined by a fence in a small area. Scarlett would be interested in other things besides the dogs at the beach. We've never taken her to the beach....perhaps we will...

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

It looks like Bianca is having a great time. : ) When I was visiting my grandpa up in Washington we took his dog Rosie with us to the beach when we went fishing and she always loved it. I love the beach and since the weather is warming up I'd like to go down there a few times to get some sun and have some fun, so I'm crossing my fingers that she's dog friendly. XD I like the thought of dog parks better because it's not fenced in and it's a bigger area, so I might go down to check one out just by myself to get a feel for things.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:44 PM

There is a dog park literally 5 minutes from my house that I take my boy to on a regular basis. There is a dog beach that is 15 minutes that I take him to as well. Honestly dog parks and dog beaches are great. Its a great way to get your dog out and get exercise and be social. There will always be the super dominate male or aggressive and reserved dogs. Just like with humans, if you get a large group of people together, its inevitable that arguments and disagreements will happen. I guess while were on the subject, next time you go to the dog park or the beach, observe the different dog owners and you will see what I mean.

I think he was 6 months or so in this picture and video:

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Elite Member

Chicagocanine,

Is that actually a river they are playing in?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Master Member

We don't all think dog parks are bad. There are occasionally bad owners who won't control their dogs, but the great majority of people and dogs are friendly and courteous.

Beaches are wonderful. Great mental and physical stim for the dogs.

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Knighted Member

We don't technically have any dog beaches where I live but many beaches where the leash laws are overlooked. Depending on who's there, I've found dogs off leash on beaches more dangerous, at least in my area since there are regular civilians and children you must consider. Several years ago my husband was thrown flat on his back due to a dog running full speed that clipped him behind the knees. He was down and out the rest of the weekend. Someone with a chuck-it hit a non-dog woman in the face, breaking her eye glasses. We have had surfers go into the ocean and leave their dog unattended, becoming aggressive with ours. Also since so many people let their dogs run either very far ahead or behind, they miss picking up the poop.

If you find an official dog beach, it will probably be similar to a dog park, people know what the rules are, accept the chances of injury and are like minded. If that is the case, you will probably have a better experience than we've had.

I take my dog to a small, private beach, early some mornings. There are usually only mature surfers there. Once in a while we see an Aussie that is terrified of Molly. We are respectful of each other and wait to use the beach until the other is gone.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettsmom View Post
I've never heard of a dog beach, but that's probably because few, if any of our beaches allow dogs around here. (VA BEACH folks, let me know if this is wrong info!!) I would have less of an issue at the beach, since the dogs are not confined by a fence in a small area. Scarlett would be interested in other things besides the dogs at the beach. We've never taken her to the beach....perhaps we will...
I don't think there is a dog beach in VA Beach but you can bring your dogs to First Landing State Park. Dogs are allowed on the beach on a leash. Picture below was taken at First Landing.

Proud mommy to
Nova - WGSD (03/25/09)
Casper - Tabby Cat (Rescue 08/15/08)
Mousey - Beige Chinchilla (11/24/2005)
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

I really miss Washington. : ( My grandpa lived in a community just outside of Port Townsend and they had a nice little stretch of private beach. I didn't trust Rosie off leash because she didn't listen to me like she listened to my grandpa, but I really enjoyed walking her there. I see a lot of people walking their dogs at the beach, but we're not supposed to, which makes me nervous to do it. XD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page