Lets bring this dog home - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Lets bring this dog home

"A tough-as-nails Iraq war vet is locked in a fight with U.S. military bureaucrats over her attempts to adopt the bomb-sniffing German shepherd that served by her side during two tours of duty.

Marine Cpl. Megan Leavey and the fearless pooch, Rex, were nearly killed by a roadside bomb blast in Ramadi, Iraq, in 2006, according to reports.

The blast ended Leavey's career as a Marine.

The Rockland County native tried to adopt her former K-9 sidekick before her retirement in 2007, when it appeared that the military was ready to let Rex hang up his dog tags as well.

"Rex is my partner; I love him," Leavey, 28, told MSNBC. "We have been through so much together…I've spent day and night with this dog. It's a very strong bond."

But the dog's discharge was eventually denied after military brass determined he was still fit to serve.

Leavey, who works as a dog handler in Rockport, kept up with Rex at his kennel at Camp Pendleton, Calif., until about a month ago, when she learned that the 10-year-old pup had developed facial paralysis and had to be retired, the Journal News reported.

Leavey submitted the adoption paper work, but has been tangled in military red tape ever since.

Officials from the Military Working Dog Program, overseen by the Air Force, told MSNBC the adoption process is expected to take several more weeks.

If Leavey's request is denied, Rex could be put to sleep.

"As a safety precaution, they don't give all dogs away," Leavey told the Journal News. "The dilemma with me is the minute they say he can't be adopted, because he's sick and because he can't work, they'd have to put him to sleep."

"Not because he's too sick to live a good life, but because they can't utilize him so it wouldn't make sense for them to keep a dog they're not going to work at the kennels," she added.

On Friday, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., stepped in with a statement urging Air Force Secretary Michael B. Donley to reunite the two "American heroes."

"Marine Corporal Leavey and Rex are true American heroes who saved countless American lives uncovering roadside bombs and booby traps in Iraq," Schumer said. "I'm strongly urging the Air Force to do the right thing, cross the T's and dot the I's so that Rex gets the home he deserves, and Corporal Leavey can be reunited with her faithful companion."

Leavy said she hopes Schumer's involvement would be the final step in bringing Rex to New York for good, where she'd enjoy the company of her two other dogs, Rocky and Patriot.

"I know the Marine Corps has other more important issues. But it's important to me," she told MSNBC. "And [Rex] deserves it."

Read more: Former Marine battles military to let her adopt ex-bomb sniffing battle dog * - NY Daily News

Bring this dog home and sign the petition here
Senator Charles E. Schumer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 AM
Master Member

This makes me mad. Just give the dog a good home with a person that loves him. It's not that hard. The government has to make everything harder then it should be.

Dogs have been left be hide to die after they are no longer needed in the past. This is nothing new. It's cheaper to leave the dogs be hide then to bring them home.

"When withdrawing from Vietnam in 1973, the military classified the dogs as surplus equipment to be left behind during evacuation. "

To learn more
War Dog Memorial

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 AM

This dog NEEDS and DESERVES a good home. There is no reason for him to be put down. This breaks my heart

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Crowned Member

There is NO humane reason not to let leavey bring the dog home. Very sad indeed

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 AM

This has to be one of the saddest things I have ever read. Just heart breaking stuff.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page