My puppy is growing up. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

My puppy is growing up.

So I we have this rescue pup who is very much a shepherd in her personality and attitude. Her markings make her looks like a mix and she is kind of small 22" and almost 50lb and 11 months old. She could be a mix but she sure does act like a shep.

She is good with strangers when outside or at the park. Shes s confident dog. She is great with my friends. She is fantastic with our 3 year old daughters and other little kids. She never was shy around strangers till resonantly. We have some contractors doing tile work. Cookie is being standoffish and not that friendly. Like she has been with people in the past. She would look for attention from anyone before. Now she is protective and aloof with strangers.

She growled at one contractor. It was weird because they had been here all day yesterday with no problems. She let them pet her. I have been home with my dog when they are working she never has been alone with them. So I know nothing bad happen. But the fact that this contractor came in the door and kind of caught Cookie off guard seemed to really spook her.

Nothing bad has happen to her nothing has changed just the fact she is older. One of our friends was over the other day. Cookie does not know him that well but our other dogs do and love him. She was standoffish with him. Gave him a few not to friendly barks but got over it fast. She tends to be more shy or weird around men.

This is just cookie becoming a more serious adult dog? I do not reward the barking or growling at strangers. I try and just ignore it. Then reward when she is in a relaxed. I like that she is becoming more protective but don't want her to be a total jerk to strangers.

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page