Heated or Controversial Threads - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Heated or Controversial Threads

I was looking through some old threads and realized that some of the most heated and/or controversial threads were the ones I learned the most from.

Yes there was even some rudeness in some of them.

One that I read was started by Lakl in Dec. 2011 about working line GSDs.
It was heated and a touch hostile at times but ended up with a wealth of information in it.

Then there are others, like anything to do with Pit Bulls or anything that resembles a Pit Bull that just go on endlessly with people repeating what has been said ad nauseum. I don't think much is gained from that type of thread. I don't have an issue with those who choose to spend their time doing that. They may get something from it.

There was mention on the thread now circulating about rudeness, whether moderators should close some threads or not.

Personally I'm glad they don't jump in too quickly because some of those threads turn out to have valuable information in them.

When people get to personal in attacking usually a reminder is enough and the thread can go on.

Different views help us to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Master Member

People learn by asking questions and questioning the answers.

On a side note what color do you call the dog in your avatar? He is really handsome. Kind of reminds me of my pup.

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with you. I think the mods on this forum tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to closing threads and deleting posts.

I also think that, by and large, this is a forum where we can get into very heated discussions about things we disagree strongly about, and still be friends tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Pepper:

I call him bi-color but that could start a controversial or heated thread.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with you there.

When people have to 'be nice' (for lack of better words), they don't usually get to say what they're really thinking, making for less information shared and gained.

It's one thing when things get heated, but another when people are attacking one another. Then something different entirely when a troll decides to rile everyone up.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member

Whenever I see an Admin in the last post on a thread, I look to see if there is a lock on it, and breathe a sigh of relief when it is still open...I wish sometimes they wouldn't lock them because the discussion is interesting especially when everyone isn't in agreement.
Just think how boring it would be if we all constantly agreed on everything...just put sticky's up and call it a day on the boards.

Many times they are only locking threads because one or two posters continue to alert them, making it tedius to have to monitor posts. When people start attacking each other, I'd rather let it play out, because the weaker will always be the loser. And if they choose to stay in the fight, I give them kudo's for their tenacity.
When there is bullying, then it is a reason to shut it down.
BTW....I think the dog is a B&T, not a Bi-color.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-16-2012 at 11:47 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Master Member

@ Jack's Dad, I STILL like to go back and read that thread! The weath of information and knowledgeable contributors was invaluable! I became "obsessed" with the working line for several months after that thread and spent the time educating myself on the different lines and breeders breeding them. I think when you can come up with a topic that draws so many in with great information to share, the occasional bickering is well worth it. I often wish I could come up with another topic that brings in such great responses!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Crowned Member

I also like controversial threads. The threads where everyone agrees with each other and offers no other information beyond what's in the OP is boring. I'd rather the people who are being rude get warned or suspended and let the thread carry on. A thread getting closed because it was too heated and moderators didn't feel like baby sitting it is a poor reason to end a discussion. Once the trouble makers have been dealt with that leaves room for some very educational discussion to take place.

IMO, the ONLY time a thread should be deleted is if the original post breaks the rules. A thread should never be deleted because some or even the majority of posts within the thread got heated or broke the rules. Deleting threads completely contradicts the other rules in the forum, such as no editing or deleting your post after 10 minutes, and no deleting user accounts. I've heard moderators say the reasoning for that is what you post on here should be like what you say in real life(ie you can't take it back). Deleting entire threads makes those other rules seem pointless, and no one learns why the thread got deleted except for the last couple people who were there when the thread was deleted.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
I'd rather the people who are being rude get warned or suspended and let the thread carry on. Once the trouble makers have been dealt with that leaves room for some very educational discussion to take place.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Knighted Member

i am still kind of new to this site. been around for a while but recently got back into it.

so, how do you know when a thread is heated or controversial? are they the ones that are red enveloped rather than blue? how do you know if an admin is nearing shutting down a thread???

this is fascinating. i agree with you that the wealth of knowledge created by debate and some rudeness sparks great ideas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page