Bringing Home My New Foster Baby - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Bringing Home My New Foster Baby

So, if any of you have read my post in the rescue section you'll know that I have offered my home up to this girl:

It looks like GSROC will save her, and I'm just waiting on a home check to be approved as a foster. I'm very, very excited and I'm really looking forward to taking her in.

That being said, there are a few things I'm nervous about. Primarily, I'm worried that she will be cat aggressive. I'm also worried that she'll be dog aggressive, but that is less of an issue since we don't have any other dogs in the house, though I really would like to be able to bring her with me to my aunt's house when I go there on Fridays, and she has two black labs. So I was wondering what the best way to introduce her to our cats would be? Our cats are both out of the kitten stage, and pretty much just laze around the house, but I think they will be a bit reactive to her. Our older one is pretty territorial, but she's lived with a dog before, so I'm not too worried about her. Our younger cat is pretty fearful of new people and things, so I'd like to make this as least stressful on them, as well as giving this the best chance of success possible. So any advice on this subject would be very much appreciated!

I would also like some advice on what I should do with her when we bring her home. I've done a lot of research and I'm fairly certain I'm ready for this, at least as ready as I can be without having owned a sable girl before. XD We don't know much about her temperament, which worries me a little bit, but I'm hoping she doesn't have any major issues. So! What is your advice for our first few days with her?

If it doesn't work out with us, she will be going into boarding and we will be fostering a dog that will work so she can take its place in boarding, so either way we're bringing a dog home within the next week, I'd imagine. So, I am very, very excited! x3 I've been waiting for this moment for a long time, and I can't wait to have a new shepherd hanging around. : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you!!!! Without fosters, dogs can't be saved!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Master Member

Good luck with your new baby. I hope everything goes well for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 PM

she is gorgeous, saw her in the rescue section, and it's a good thing I have females, or I would be sorely tempted to scoff her up

Hopefully the rescue that is pulling her, will do some testing on her with things to get an idea of what she is ok and not ok with.

Good luck with her, keep us updated and more pictures !!!

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Trust me, as soon as I get my hands on her you will be getting a MUCH better look at her. XD

Coastal decided to pull her today, so GSROC isn't the only I'll be fostering with. First come first served, as they say. Tiffany at Coastal said that her time was up, so I imagine she would have been put down tonight or tomorrow morning. Like I said in the rescue post, Devore is very high kill, so this doesn't really surprise me.

I'm VERY excited to start fostering! :3 I'm hoping this will be a very positive experience so that my mom will agree to do it again. Took me a whole year to convince her, and she's giving us six months to see how it goes. I'm really hoping that she'll let us get another foster after we're doing with this one. My ultimate goal is to foster either a pregnant momma or one with a litter of pups, but my mom is a loooooong way from agreeing to that! XD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM

I think if I took her, I might be a foster failure which has happened before I end up keeping them))

Keep us updated!!!

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Right now I am anxiously awaiting news from them. XD I feel like an expectant parent waiting for the doctor to come out and tell us the news. Unfortunately we're not in the financial position to bring a dog into our home. : ( Since I don't have a job I have LOTS of time on my hands but no money. XD

My sister keeps saying "when we adopt her" though. XD So I dunno. If my mom decides to adopt her, then that is the only way we could possibly do that, but my mom is really not keen on adopting a dog. XD But I shall love her to death while she's with us. :3
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 PM

I'm sure however it goes, it will be a great experience for you all and she will get a wonderful start to a new life

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Bringing this girl home tomorrow. :3 Will have the home check sometime today or tomorrow, then I'll be picking her up from their boarding facility.

So excited!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 PM

yeah

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page