Your opinion on 8 month old GSD current weight/habits - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Your opinion on 8 month old GSD current weight/habits

Good afternoon all,

My boy just turned 8 months old a few weeks back. It has been a few months since we weighed him last but he was right around 63LBS in December. I am getting sick and tired of people looking at my boy and telling me "wow he looks really skinny", or "Is it normal for him to be that underweight".My favorite quote though had to be a lady at our local dog park from over the weekend "He doesn't look right.. Do you feed him enough?" Fact of the matter is our boy eats quite a bit but also exercises a TON! My sister is a vet tech in California and she told us that one major thing you do not want to do with a big breed is overfeed as this can cause their bones to grow too fast. I know GSD's go through their "awkward teenage phase" and they look lanky and skinny but I just wanted to see if there is some further insight I can get on my boy.

We currently feed him nutrisource grain free with bison. Info here: Large Breed Grain Free Lamb Meal Dog Food

We currently feed him twice a day and 4 scoops total. 2 scoops at approx 7:30am and 2 scoops at 6:30pm. My wife and I have been thinking of upping it to 5-6 scoops in a day but feel as this may be too much.

I don't have any recent pictures but I did upload this video of him playing fetch to youtube. I apologize in advance as it was taken from an Iphone.

8 month old gsd doing what he loves - YouTube

Here are his current stats:

8 months old
Weight: approx 68-75..
Height: approx 26-27 inches from ground to top of shoulder blade

In terms of exercise, we are talking a strict daily walk+ball fetching/and on some weekends hiking. I don't know how many calories he burns in a day but I feel that it must be a ton! If you check out the above video, this is just one hill that we visit daily and play fetch for a good amount of time. Because he comes from a working line family, his activity level is definitely up there.Aside from that he is in his peak in regards to his activity levels.

Please give me your insight as I would certainly appreciate it.

Thank you so much,

-Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Crowned Member

I have got the same comments about my boy & He's 25" & around 72 pounds/almost 2 yrs old. In the video he looks good. You want GSD to grow slow & steady. 5-6 cups a day sounds like alot & will most likely cause loose stool...keep doing what your doing.

Question tho: It could be the lighting on the video but does you boy have missing hair around his eyes?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Master Member

When I talked to rallhaus Kim said that one lady who bought from her feeds her dogs 4 times a day. Basically the same way we people eat. Breakfast, snack, lunch and dinner. Typically at the same time as everyone else. I dont think your dog is under weight. Kim said this ladies dogs live to be about 16 or older so she said she must be doing something right. IDK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
I have got the same comments about my boy & He's 25" & around 72 pounds/almost 2 yrs old. In the video he looks good. You want GSD to grow slow & steady. 5-6 cups a day sounds like alot & will most likely cause loose stool...keep doing what your doing.

Question tho: It could be the lighting on the video but does you boy have missing hair around his eyes?
Glad I am not alone with the comments. Honestly it is a bit frustrating to hear those comments. Regarding the hair missing around his eyes, he does have a bit missing and has had some missing for a while. My wife and I think he may have some allergies but we can't seem to figure it out. When he was a pup pup, we fed him Biljack. We then moved on to Natural balance LID (limited ingredients diet), we then tried another Natural balance, and now were are trying Nutrisource bison. Since our boy has been young his stools have been relatively soft. I have thought about possibly switching to a raw diet but unfortunately that will not fit into the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
When I talked to rallhaus Kim said that one lady who bought from her feeds her dogs 4 times a day. Basically the same way we people eat. Breakfast, snack, lunch and dinner. Typically at the same time as everyone else. I dont think your dog is under weight. Kim said this ladies dogs live to be about 16 or older so she said she must be doing something right. IDK.
Unfortunately due to our schedules we cannot feed our boy 4 times a day. The food we currently have our boy on recommends the following:

WEIGHT AMOUNT
70 - 80 lbs. 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 Cups / 283 - 312g

By us feeding him 4 cups we are almost doubling the amount. Obviously this will change depending on the activity levels and breed but I feel that 4 is adequate.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Crowned Member

Regarding the hair missing around the eyes...could be mites/mange?
Does he itch alot?

I honestly think most of the general public think GSD are HUGE dogs, when they are actually described as medium sized dogs. He's handsome & will fill out more as he matures
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 PM

Im not an expert but at 8 months he looks normal. I would recommend that you get him to the vet and figure out the issue with the hair around his eye and also get an actual weight because at 8 months if he is 75 pounds thats huge i have a 16 month old that is just at 78 pounds. So you may actually be feeding to much. Its always better to know then to guess.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Regarding the hair missing around the eyes...could be mites/mange?
Does he itch alot?

I honestly think most of the general public think GSD are HUGE dogs, when they are actually described as medium sized dogs. He's handsome & will fill out more as he matures
Hi Courtney, I looked at pictures of the mites/mange and I do not believe my boy has that. Sometimes after drinking water he scratches his muzzle. When he was really little, he had some rashes on his belly. My wife and I initially thought he was allergic to grass but as he grew older, the rashes on the belly stopped.
Thanks for the comments/concerns . It will be interesting to see how he turns out in terms of size. We were initially told by the breeder that he would be between 65-75 LBS and around 22-26 inches. As mentioned above we are probably 75+ and approx 26-27 inches in height! Most experts will tell you GSD's do not stop fully maturing until 16 months. We are a little over half way haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrisonjr26 View Post
Im not an expert but at 8 months he looks normal. I would recommend that you get him to the vet and figure out the issue with the hair around his eye and also get an actual weight because at 8 months if he is 75 pounds thats huge i have a 16 month old that is just at 78 pounds. So you may actually be feeding to much. Its always better to know then to guess.
Definitely! The last vet trip we had was back in December to get another de-worming shot and some worming medicine. My wife and I were on the way back home when he threw up in the back and my wife told me "BABE OMGOSH the throw up is MOVING". To say the least, my pregnant wife almost lost it! In December he was 63 LBS. We are now in March and its my best guess that he is between 70-75 LBS. I had no idea that he may have been over-sized! Due to his slender/skinny build, I assumed he may be a little undersized. Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I will call the vet today and see if we can get the missing eye around the eyes and muzzle taken care of.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

I took him to a vet right up the street and weighed him and he came in at 65 LBS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page