Gas problem.. non-GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Gas problem.. non-GSD

Hey guys, I would like some advice on my Boerboel please! She is 5 Months old.. and holy goodness she has the worst gas known to man. I mean it can clear a room in seconds.. and it's not just occasionally it's CONSTANTLY. I know that mastif breeds are generally more gassy than others but this is just ridiculous. She is eating Blue Buffalo Large breed Puppy food. Chicken and brown rice, I believe. I had her on the Blue buffalo wilderness puppy fomula but it had a very high protein percentage so I switched thinking that might be the problem.. but nope, still awful. I have a vet appointment in a week or so for a final booster and I plan on asking her about it.. but in the mean time, anyone ever had a problem like this? My GSD is on the same brand though he eats Wilderness Duck formula.. he has never had this problem.. obviously the occasional one, but Athena is far far worse.. it's a constant issue and I genuinely feel bad when I have guests over because it's THAT bad. Her stools are fine.. some loose as of lately but I think she just might have eaten something outside.. help please!!

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

We have a Mastiff mix. He is gassy. I don't have a lot of help, we still deal with it. I do know though....he was horrible on Blue buffalo, he was horrible on any of their foods. He is definetely better on Castor and Pollux brand. Good luck

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Good to know!!! Thank you! She is about done with this food.. I will have to get a different brand to see if that helps.. Thanks again!!

v/r,

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Crowned Member

Wear a gas mask.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Crowned Member

I've heard adding yogurt to the food will help that.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Elite Member

Another thing I thought of....not sure how often you feed her. Sherman is almost a year old and I still do 3 meals a day rather than 2. Sometimes how much they are consuming in a setting will affect the gas. With the Molloser (sp) breeds...I don't think you can ever get rid of it permanently but you can limit it.

We have been researching RAW....that is supposed to help, not too mention he HATES kibble.

We also found fish is big no-no with him...so watch your protien sources when you switch and keep track of changes. You mentioned she was getting low on food so you could switch...make sure to transition slowly to the new one...maybe start mixing them now.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 AM

i second the yogurt.
biz has gas and gets a tablespoon of yogurt in with each meal.
plain yogurt
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetkaos View Post
Another thing I thought of....not sure how often you feed her. Sherman is almost a year old and I still do 3 meals a day rather than 2. Sometimes how much they are consuming in a setting will affect the gas. With the Molloser (sp) breeds...I don't think you can ever get rid of it permanently but you can limit it.

We have been researching RAW....that is supposed to help, not too mention he HATES kibble.

We also found fish is big no-no with him...so watch your protien sources when you switch and keep track of changes. You mentioned she was getting low on food so you could switch...make sure to transition slowly to the new one...maybe start mixing them now.
I did actually have her on raw when I got her but due to circumstances I couldn't have them on the diet anymore.. she still had pretty bad gas then, but it wasn't as frequent. I feed her twice a day because I am not home in the afternoons since I work 45 minutes away. It was suggested that I add water to her food too because she gulps down her food so fast she may just be swallowing a whole lot of air.. though I did that for about a week now and she is still pretty bad.. I am heading to the pet store today to get more food to transition.. are those the only suggestions of food you tried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I've heard adding yogurt to the food will help that.
Good idea.. I will do that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Wear a gas mask.
HA! I have one too... oh how romantic.. "Here, babe, you have to wear this at my house during movie night." HAHAHA oh goodness.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
HA! I have one too... oh how romantic.. "Here, babe, you have to wear this at my house during movie night." HAHAHA oh goodness.
You can call it birth control hahaha. You can get cute and rub the filters together. Kind of like an eskimo kiss hahaha
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Elite Member

I wish those were the only we've tried....did I mention he's picky? Ha..my best friend has a puppy and I don't think she's had to buy food yet...she gets all the ones Sherm won't eat!

Blue Buffalo-----gassy
Wellness super 5 puppy and adult-------gassy and just didn't like
Castor/Pollux-----------less gas, seems to like most days
Halo spots stew-------gas not bad...got bored quickly
Oh yeah and name escapes me...but the Limited Ingredient, nature or natural He loved the lamb and sweet potato I think it was, also didn't cause much gas.

We are currently on day 4 of Dogswell Nutrisca lamb and chick pea. He has been eating OK..hopefullly he keeps it up. Can't comment on the gas factor yet, as we are going through a situation with our older GSD...so they have been getting a lot of treats lately.

Good luck!!

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page