I'm so fed up with my family and their way of raising dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I'm so fed up with my family and their way of raising dogs

I'm talking about my relatives. Uncle had 2 huskies and kept them in an outside kennel and they stayed there up until they turned 2. They had food and water but lived in their own poop and waste. One day, he just decided to set them free and drove to a park and cut them loose.

Another Uncle, had a large breed mix and it stayed in an outside kennel all it's life (15 years). I don't think it ever came out of that 6x6. He didn't even have a name and he died about 3 months ago. He couldn't stand anymore so they took him to the shelter to be pts. Now I just found out they got another dog. Small mixed dog. Looks like Jack Russel. Living in the same kennel that the previous dog lived in and is just walking on its poop. Doesn't have a name either. Sometimes the winter can be pretty bad in NC and this little guy barely has a coat.

Another Uncle had a female Husky. She was never spayed and had 2 litters with the first Uncle's male husky. This uncle moved and left the Husky with my Grandmother so they gave all the pups away for "free" at the flee market once the pups were able to walk (I'm assuming 6 weeks). So I just found out that she finally died last week. They went to feed her and found her dead so they buried her. They're all moving to a 5 acre land home and now are thinking about getting a German Shepherd Dog to protect their farm. My reaction was, "OMFG! You just neglected a dog for it's entire miserable life and you want to ruin another one's life?" Also, what good is a protection dog if he's in a cage?

I'm just tired of it. I believe all 3 huskies were purchased from a working line as well. I wish there was some way of just telling them how I feel but these are hard headed asians that think their way of thinking is always right. I'm trying to persuade my Grandmother to not getting another dog, especially, if she's thinking about getting a GSD. I just needed to rant. Sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Elite Member

You could always anonymously turn them into animal control.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Elite Member

Wow, that makes my blood boil So many people are still living in the dark ages when it comes to dogs. I hate it.

I think about this quote often and it makes me feel a little better:

"You are met at the bridge by all of the animals you come into contact with during your lifetime, they decide if you cross."

"If you don't train them, don't blame them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustLoveGSDs View Post

"You are met at the bridge by all of the animals you come into contact with during your lifetime, they decide if you cross."
Beautiful! I hope it is true.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkosmom View Post
You could always anonymously turn them into animal control.
I could but whose to say that would stop them from getting another? It's ridiculous. I'm so glad my immediate family doesn't own any dogs. My mom tolerates my dog because she's trained but she does not want anything to do with dogs.

I just don't get it. What's the point of getting a dog if it's just going to be in a cage? Is it supposed to be some sort of decoration? I hate it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Elite Member

I don't know about your state, but mine won't necessarily remove the dogs. They will educate and give a timeline to correct abusive or negligent conditions, unless conditions are extreme. If the timeline is not met, then they will remove the animal. Either way, they would be subjected to fines and possible jail time or community service.

If they get hit with enough fines, your relatives will most likely either give up owning pets or start taking care of them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDkid View Post
I could but whose to say that would stop them from getting another?
Some states may not immediately remove the animals, but if you tell animal control that they've had a history of being abusive/negligent they may be more serious about it.

Some states WILL though, and will give an order that prohibits said family from owning ANY animals for as long as they live there, and if that order is broken, they are either slapped with a hefty fine or taken to jail, depending on the condition of the animal when they find it. (They also usually do random checks on people with this order to make sure they're not trying to be sneaky.)

I am Jessica! C=
~*~ Sophie || Female, intact || 11 MAR 11
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks! I'll look into that. I'll just be that anonymous caller and act surprised when they talk it over with me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page