Non-GSD breeder question... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Non-GSD breeder question...

In about a year or two, my SO and I are looking to add another dog to our family. He wants something he can run with that has a good on/off switch. We're leaning towards a Whippet, as he likes a more medium sized dog. However, finding a breeder seems to be quite the task. Most breeders don't update their websites, and phone numbers are out-dated. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good Whippet breeder. I'm not worried about the fact that most of them only breed once every year to two years...I just would like someone to get in contact with, maybe get on a list..

Sheldon (WGSD) 5/20/2011
Oliver (ball python) 10/10 (gotcha day)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

Whippets have an "off" switch?! Who knew!

I know two Whippets and they are definitely not a dog who I think of as having an off switch. Both from different people and who got their dogs from different breeders.

For some reason, I can't see them running along a bike or at a nice trot next to their humans. They like to RUN and RUN FAST, when I think of them running I think things like lure coursing or agility.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

haha, what I mean by off switch, is that they can come in the house and be couch potatos. The two I met were the SWEETEST little dogs I've ever met. Granted, they were 12, but def didn't look it. I'm not sure where this lady got hers, but I'm pretty sure they're rescues. lure coursing is another thing we want to do with them, but I feel like they'd like a nice jog with my SO before going balls to the wall with the lures =] I wanted to do lure coursing with sheldon, but he has ZERO drive. for anything but food.

Sheldon (WGSD) 5/20/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Crowned Member

Every whippet i've met has NOT been "off" when in the house. These dogs were constantly on the go from the time the sun came up to the time it went down!

If you're serious, I would look on the AKC website and see what you find. ..

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

I have to say, if you want a dog who has an off switch... not sure if a whippet is ideal/good idea.

Also, running on hard surfaces like concrete or the road, with those little legs.. might not be a good idea. They are pretty fragile little dogs. I know we are always careful when mine play with them.. they are super gentle with the dogs, but could seriously hurt a leg or spine on accident.

Have you thought of a retired Grey Hound? There is one that is around here that my older dog plays with. They don't jog with her but they do ride a bike with her in the summer. She is super lazy in the house but can turn it on when allowed/wants.

I would make sure you really invest some time in researching and meeting these dogs.

They are super cute though!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

He doesn't want a greyhound because they're too big for his taste. He'd like a pitbull, but to be honest, I don't think he's ready for one, and this dog is to bond with HIM.

Sheldon (WGSD) 5/20/2011
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Crowned Member

Whippetts SHOULD have an off switch, and enjoy being a couch potato in the home.

Though I don't know how much the average one would enjoy being a running partner. They're made for sprinting, REALLY fast, but not very far, rather that trotting longer distances. They also don't do well in cold weather. (Or is it always warm were you are?)

Sounds to me like a medium sized herding or sporting breed (like a smaller Border Collie or a Brittany.) might be a better choice.i

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.

Last edited by BlackGSD; 03-10-2012 at 11:10 PM.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

Have you seen this one? I know nothing about them, BUT their site seems fairly up to date. LOL

Litters | Oxford Whippets | Chula Vista, CA

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yeah, I sent an application to them as well as Mohr whippets. And they would get sprinting too, and my SO has a fast enough pace it wouldn't be a trot, more like a run...sprinting would happen during lure coursing =] I'm glad they have an off switch...though I asked him about energy all the time, and he'd be okay with that, as their size is a bit easier to handle than a gsd with the zoomies

Sheldon (WGSD) 5/20/2011
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Oh, and it does get cold here, but we'd be willing to give it sweaters and boots...as gross as that is, some dogs need it.

Sheldon (WGSD) 5/20/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page