One coat color better than others in hotter climates? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

One coat color better than others in hotter climates?

I live just south of Houston and it gets pretty hot here. The dog we get will mostly be an indoor dog however there will be times the dog will have to be out side for extended periods of time... Not a lot mind you and we have a large covered patio where our dog would be able to rest.

My main concern is if I am running in the heat or were are our running around to shops etc. Is one coat color better than the others? Would sable be better than black or black and red better than sable or black etc?

Am I just being silly for this to be a concern?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Elite Member

It's the dog's condition that really matters, not the color. We train all summer long in TX, the dogs in fit trim fare better than the rest, color does not matter (just like people).

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

What you said about running around to shops has me a little worried-- are you talking about taking him in the car? Here in TX I think it's a bad idea to leave dogs in the car for about half the year. . . it just gets too hot, too fast in the car. There is no coat type or color that does well in the car on a hot day.

Sorry if I misread what you were talking about but just wanted to make sure.

Also make sure to watch the pads of your dog's feet on concrete or asphalt during the summer-- remember how you can burn your feet on hot asphalt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Ok good. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
What you said about running around to shops has me a little worried-- are you talking about taking him in the car? Here in TX I think it's a bad idea to leave dogs in the car for about half the year. . . it just gets too hot, too fast in the car. There is no coat type or color that does well in the car on a hot day.

Sorry if I misread what you were talking about but just wanted to make sure.

Also make sure to watch the pads of your dog's feet on concrete or asphalt during the summer-- remember how you can burn your feet on hot asphalt.
Shops and stuff would be like us out window shopping then getting a coffee and staying out side to sit and drink it... that sort of thing.

As far as the pads go how would you prevent that if you have to walk on cement? Dog shoes? My husband would have a fit... dont they normally callus over with time?

Some of the year leaving them in the car would be fine... but for me its like your children. You wouldnt leave them in the car on a hot day so you surely shouldnt do it to your dog.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

OK cool. . . seems like every year you hear about dogs (and kids) dying in hot cars so I wanted to makes sure that wasn't what you were talking about. I agree I do leave mine in the car when it's 55 out, or 60 if I can find some shade and leave the windows down.

I use common sense when it comes to walking on pavement in the heat. . . if it's 107 and the cement is shimmering it's so hot and you reach down and burn your hand, your dog probably doesn't want to walk on it. They absolutely do build up callouses over time, but just keep an eye on your dog. If he looks uncomfortable or like his feet are hurting, then his feet are probably hurting. Obviously in summer you want to keep to grass as much as possible.

I noticed this last summer because I walk my dogs twice a day. I noticed that in the summer evenings they were getting tired a lot faster than they did in the mornings, even though the outside temperature was about the same. Then I knelt down to tie my shoe and holy crap the air was like 100 degrees a foot above the cement! The heat from the day was just radiating off of it.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
I live just south of Houston and it gets pretty hot here. The dog we get will mostly be an indoor dog however there will be times the dog will have to be out side for extended periods of time... Not a lot mind you and we have a large covered patio where our dog would be able to rest.

My main concern is if I am running in the heat or were are our running around to shops etc. Is one coat color better than the others? Would sable be better than black or black and red better than sable or black etc?

Am I just being silly for this to be a concern?

Thanks in advance.
For the times the dog is outside (it seems to me that) a white shepherd would have the advantage. JMVHO
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Master Member

Ruff Wear makes very nice dog boots. Just in case some of you need them.

Asja von der kleinen Farm "Asja"

Jambo vom Barbatus "Boris"

Ares
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Master Member

Like others have said the dog being fit is most important, but after that if I"m out side I can feel the heat in Frank's black coat alot faster then in my BC who is a merle and not solid black, so I would think the more black in the coat the faster the dog would get hot.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Master Member

Outside: A lighter coat would be best (black attracts the sun.) Inside: There is no difference. I would choose a pup that is a bit less fluffy.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page