Bringing home a young adult GSD tomorrow, words of advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Bringing home a young adult GSD tomorrow, words of advice?

Long story, but I will be taking care of a 1.5 year old female GSD for a bit. I'm bringing her home tomorrow. I currently have a male Dalmatian (gets along great with other dogs), and a 13 year old female who is a total alpha bitch. She is a known fighter with other bitches. She CAN be managed, as long as the other female isn't as dominate as her. Also live with my sister who has a cat. This GSD has never lived with a cat.

I've known this dog since she was born. I know her Sire & Dam, veryI actually lived with her Sire for about 6 months when my former roomate owned him (she doesn't own him anymore). She is very sweet, lots of energy, very friendly with people, not dog aggressive. She is West German working lines.

If she has to be completely separated from the cat and my female, that is totally doable.

Any tips or advice for the introduction? I was thinking of taking her right out of the car for a walk with my male first. Then my female, then maybe all 3 together, before she ever steps foot in the house. Of course she will be leashed inside the house. What's the best way to introduce her to the cat? Have her in the crate and let the cat investigate first?

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

your first step sounds like a good one....do you have any kennel runs ??? I would then confine her and let the others loose (1 by 1 if necessary) to get acquainted through the fence -a crate is the second step if you don't have the run....

Leashes on all dogs - and prongs - during the acclimation tests period!!!

I would NOT - NOT under any circumstance let her loose with the older alpha female....even if not a dominate female, the younger one could decide that youth over age is a factor and you will have a fight...sooner or later - you will have a bitch fight, and that is not fair to the older bitch who will likely get the worst end of it.

Cats - some dogs will accept them fine, some will obsess....if she obsesses over them - protect the cat by separation.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Banned

How long are you taking care of her?
If for more than a few mos. I'd do a two week shut down.

Let me know if you need that info.

And don't walk them by yourself. Have one person per dog on your walks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Im not positive how long I will have her. I will not be walking them by myself! haha! I don't have kennel runs, but i have a little fence I put up to divide my yard when I am not home. My Dals have a doggy door that lets them have access to this small part of the yard, so I can put this up and put each dog on the other side for introductions. The GSD will ALWAYS be crated when I can't watch her.

I was just reminded that she did live with a cat for a small amount of time when she was younger, and did fine, but that was a while ago, so it doesn't really tell me much.

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Knighted Member

When I introduced my dogs to my cats, I muzzled the dogs. I sat on my bed and held the cat letting them sniff each other. I did this for a week or so and by the end of the week (if not sooner) was able to remove the muzzle during the greetings. From that point on, the cats pretty much controlled the situation. They always have plenty of places to escape to in case the dogs get too rambunctious with them. When I adopted Z, I had been told that he was not good with cats but the way I handled them all, within a month they were fine together with no worries. Did the same with Nadia, but it turns out she is kinda scared of walking by the cats when they are up high-otherwise she lets my mean old fat cat snuggle and love on her all the time.

Good luck

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Master Member

A shutdown seems harsh, but I had to do it with a similar-aged female GSD and was glad that people here had advised it when I was at loss what to do. I tried modified shutdown and it didn't work out so well, but after a full shutdown for couple of weeks in the crate and out with just me for walks and food, then gradual introduction, she settled in okay. It was just sensory overload of new place, new people, new dog, new smells, etc., not to mention for the dogs you also currently have. Plus, you have a cat that she's never been around. You don't know which dogs you'll have to do this with, but you don't want to find out the hard way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page