For Those With Male Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

For Those With Male Dogs

The other leg lifting thread reminded me of something that I have been meaning to ask about. Wolfie has recently started lifting his leg a lot when we are outside. He has never done it indoors. It's like a new thing to him and he wants to go and mark trees, rock walls, light poles, etc.. However, the last 2 times I have been on a walk with him, he lifts his leg against a tree and poops! What the heck is that all about? Is he so enamored of his new trick that he can't tell if he has to poop or pee? My other GSD never lifted his leg, except when he saw a certain vet that he didn't like. Has anyone else experienced this?

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
The other leg lifting thread reminded me of something that I have been meaning to ask about. Wolfie has recently started lifting his leg a lot when we are outside. He has never done it indoors. It's like a new thing to him and he wants to go and mark trees, rock walls, light poles, etc.. However, the last 2 times I have been on a walk with him, he lifts his leg against a tree and poops! What the heck is that all about? Is he so enamored of his new trick that he can't tell if he has to poop or pee? My other GSD never lifted his leg, except when he saw a certain vet that he didn't like. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've never had a dog do that one but it sounds just like a shepherd with a new trick.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:42 AM

It's definitely a marking thing. Dogs who mark territory in public areas, will sometimes "up the ante" by pooping. It stems from other dogs marking over his "pee mail". IMO dogs do not have the right to "claim" public territory as their own as it is shared by many other dogs. It's like if I went to Central Park in NYC and planted a flag and proclaimed the park my new yard . I never allow territorial marking outside of my yard. That's just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance&Reno View Post
It's definitely a marking thing. Dogs who mark territory in public areas, will sometimes "up the ante" by pooping. It stems from other dogs marking over his "pee mail". IMO dogs do not have the right to "claim" public territory as their own as it is shared by many other dogs. It's like if I went to Central Park in NYC and planted a flag and proclaimed the park my new yard . I never allow territorial marking outside of my yard. That's just my 2 cents
Interesting..when he has pooped it's always in the same spot.

Mom to
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
Interesting..when he has pooped it's always in the same spot.
What kind of area is it? Near someone's yard, street corner, central location on your walk? They poop up high like that because it's easy for them to express their anal glands when they poop. It's a high end "scent marker". It's gross to smell. Anyone who's been anal sacked on by accident will tell you they have to dump the clothing.. hahah It's gross but it happens
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
What kind of area is it? Near someone's yard, street corner, central location on your walk? They poop up high like that because it's easy for them to express their anal glands when they poop. It's a high end "scent marker". It's gross to smell. Anyone who's been anal sacked on by accident will tell you they have to dump the clothing.. hahah It's gross but it happens
It's actually a grassy area in front of a cemetery. There are lots of dogs that walk in that area. I have never been by there without seeing at least 2 dogs walking by.

Mom to
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Knighted Member

My lab either walks and poops a trail or lifts his leg and yes poops on the tree, lol
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Just curious, how would you prevent "marking" if a male dog is lifting his leg somewhere when he is asked to go to the bathroom? For example, I "potty" my dog before going inside the training area and move him to a tree where I instruct him to "go potty". He lifts his leg and pees on the tree. I don't consider that territorial marking, rather just relieving himself where I have instructed him to.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Just curious, how would you prevent "marking" if a male dog is lifting his leg somewhere when he is asked to go to the bathroom? For example, I "potty" my dog before going inside the training area and move him to a tree where I instruct him to "go potty". He lifts his leg and pees on the tree. I don't consider that territorial marking, rather just relieving himself where I have instructed him to.
no real way to prevent marking, but i take my dogs out for a walk, they're given time at the beginning of the walk to go, and at the end of the walk.
there is no stopping and smelling/marking.
out for a walk means out for a walk.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Crowned Member

*sigh* my Smitty dog used to stop to mark while out on a walk. So I started to give a little correction and ask him to heel.

He learned how to walk, hop, lift and whiz without missing a beat.

When the pee tank is empty he goes to his back up systems and poos.

Talented boy. Such an athlete too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page