Should I Let Him? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Should I Let Him?

Yesterday on our walk we went to this canal (don't know if that's the right name for it, but that's what we call it ), and Darko decided he wanted to get in the water so he did. He kept whining with excitement and jumping the "blocks" that were there. My concern is if I should let him do it again, the water looks pretty nasty but I think it's because of the algae. Oh and there's crawdads and fish in there, Darko was chasing the little fish.

Got it from Google Maps(the red circle is where we were):

The crawdad I got last year from there:

Ivette

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Darko (GSD?) 4/12/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

Nice pics & Darko is very handsome (like his name). My husband & I are really careful with water if it was standing water or slow moving water I would pass...not worth the risk!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

I remembered something about algae killing dogs and found it.

Blue-green algae: Toxic scum can kill your dog | PetConnection.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Courtney & Carole
I will not be letting him go in there again, hope he doesn't get sick. So far he's been acting normal. Thanks again.

Ivette

Darko (GSD?) 4/12/2011

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

If there are fish and crawdads in the water that are alive and no dead ones floating wouldn't the water have to be safe enough for the dog to play in?

Darko looks like he has been watching Hillbilly hand-fishing, both him and the lab are beautiful dogs. Thanks for sharing with us.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Banned

the water looks pretty nasty. why would you think
it's ok to let your dog play in pretty nasty looking water?
don't let your dog play in that water and you stay out
of it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaLoveHim View Post

>>>>My concern is if I should let him do it again,<<<<

>>>> the water looks pretty nasty<<<<

but I think it's because of the algae. Oh and there's crawdads and fish in there, Darko was chasing the little fish.

Got it from Google Maps(the red circle is where we were):

The crawdad I got last year from there:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If there are fish and crawdads in the water that are alive and no dead ones floating wouldn't the water have to be safe enough for the dog to play in?

Darko looks like he has been watching Hillbilly hand-fishing, both him and the lab are beautiful dogs. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you. I thought the same thing too since I've taken the crawdads and fish home and they did fine in my fish tank, but the algae is what scares me.

Quote:
the water looks pretty nasty. why would you think
it's ok to let your dog play in pretty nasty looking water?
don't let your dog play in that water and you stay out
of it also.

I was a little hesitant to let him in, but when I saw him playing a having fun I let him. We didn't last long in there though...and yes I will keep him out now.

Ivette

Darko (GSD?) 4/12/2011

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

I would also check what the source of the canal is. We have a canal around here that is part of the sewer system. Yes, there are fish and other living critters in there and I've actually seen people fishing (yuck!) but no way would I let my dog swim there. I know people who do though.

This is the info on the canal near me:
Quote:
Chicago’s sewage treatment system discharges only lightly treated fecal matter into the canals. Because of concerns of the effects of chlorine, Chicago has a rare distinction among major American cities: It does not employ a disinfection stage at its three main sewage treatment plants. The result is canal water with fecal coliform colonies, so that signs along the canals warn that the contents are not suitable for ‘any human body contact.

So yeah I'd check the source for the water in yours.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Go ahead and see if you can find out about the source for the water in that canal... but if it's just runoff or something - water retention... I'd say go for it. It can be hard enough to find places to let them play in the water!

If there are fish and crawdads, and not obvious amounts of trash... don't worry about it. I wouldn't encourage them to drink from it - bring your own water, and teach them to drink only what you give them. Hose them off when you get home. Have fun!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Master Member

I wouldn't let him play in it. It doesn't look clean. If he gets a little scratch it can get infected.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page