Where did you get your first dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Where did you get your first dog?

I am a part of another forum that is currently harassing someone for getting their first GSD from a BYB. I know that this is the case for many people who don't know what to look for in a reputable breeder, and I was wondering how many people actually knew better at the time that they got their first dog.

I got the majority of my childhood dogs from the local humane society. But I'll be honest, my first PB dog was my Beagle, Freckles, and I think I was about 12 when I picked her out of a BYB's litter. I clearly didn't know any better at that age, and neither did my mother. I bought Freckles with my own money, and she has turned out to be an absolutely fantastic dog.

So how many of us made that mistake the first time? I would never think to bash someone for making that decision, but I would instead, educate the person for the future. I think there are a lot of people out there who are ashamed once they realize that their dog is from a BYB, and don't speak up about it. But the truth is, as long as you have learned from your mistake and you love your dog, what's done is done.

I truly hate when someone is criticized about "supporting" a BYB when they got their first dog, before they were properly educated about what a good breeder really is. It's our job as breed ambassadors to properly educate others about what to look for in a good breeder.

I'm just curious to know if it's happened to as many people as I thought. SOOOO...where was your first dog from?

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Elite Member

Growing up and my first few dogs (which we still have) were bought from pet stores. I didn't know any better. So then when I got my first GSD I thought I was doing the right thing by going with a breeder...but it turned out to be a glorified BYB. So my last puppy was bought from a reputable breeder. This wasn't last puppy. From here on, I will be going the rescue route...but obviously not for quite a few years!!

-Jessica

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
post #3 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Elite Member

My first dog is Pookie, the papillon. She is most definitely from a BYB and I didn't know any better, but she is very smart, healthy, and an awesome girl.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

My first GSD was bought in pittsburgh from a BYB and lived to be 19.... he was a black and silver and was a pup from a retired police dog If my memory serves me right. The only reason we had to put him to sleep was, he was chewing his back leg off because of a tumor on it. The vet couldnt believe it, nor could we..He did everything by the sense of his nose. We had no clue of that, you coudlnt tell. So BYB are not always the end of the world.

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"

Last edited by Loneforce; 03-04-2012 at 08:40 PM.
post #5 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Befor my current dog, all my dogs came from shelters. My current dog came from a BYB. I didn't know any better at the time and will not do it again. I will at least say that my "breeder" emails me everymonth to check on the puppy and makes everyone sign a spay neuter contract. I wouldn't trade my girl for anything! Even my schutzhund club is impressed with her. She is a well balanced dog.
post #6 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

My first GSD was bought on a dairy farm. Advertised for $30 in the newspaper(1981) Stomper was a great dog with no papers, we were the first to answer the ad and he was the only black male in the litter of B&T's.
He was probably sired by the neighbors lab? But he looked & acted GSD.

I rescued my next dog Clover for $30 and then my DH bought a pup for $250 without my knowledge(Onyx) from a first time breeder who didn't have the pedigree paperwork in order, or health tests, when she bred her female. She is not one that I'd ever support or consider to buy from had it been my decision.
I will not ever support a breeder who doesn't health test or have pedigree info again....Onyx is a dog that needs careful management. I would have loved to train her in sport, but she's too reactive. Also suffers from environmental allergies. BUT, she has great hips and her teeth are perfect.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

All of my dogs growing up came directly from the street...all strays. When I went out on my own all of them were strays up until the three I have now. The first/oldest one came from a animal shelter--I was her third owner and she has done fine with me. The second oldest is the golden retriever that I got from a breeder, he came with his papers and all, but they would still be considered byb's to most. My youngest is a 6 month old german shepherd that I got from a add on craigslist. She is the product of two guard dogs. In saying all of that I would go back and get dogs from both of these people again. My dogs are healthy, happy, not aggressive, very loveable, and well behaved...so I ask what is the problem with BYB's? I'm almost offended that someone would walk away from a litter of pups no matter where they are from. It is not the dogs fault and if you gave me the choice between a $1000.00 dog and what I got..I would take mine in a heart beat. but I do respect the decisions of others(even if I don't agree)!!

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 03-04-2012 at 08:59 PM.
post #8 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Master Member

I'm not sure how to answer this because it depends how you define a BYB.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
post #9 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky2200 View Post
I'm not sure how to answer this because it depends how you define a BYB.
I think it would be a "breeder" that doesn't do the health checks, exams, etc on the parents or the accidental litter, etc.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

My family's dog when I was a kid was from a friend of the family whose "Cockapoo" had an "oops" litter. I don't know if that counts as where I got my dog, since my family got her a year before I was born.
We got a second dog when I was 2nd grade or so, we took in my grandmother's senior dog when she passed away That poor dog pretty much got passed around to everyone in the family before ending up with us, no one else wanted him because he was not very good tempered, had no training at all and would have accidents in the house.

My own first dog was a stray I rescued, tried to find the owner but was unable so I ended up keeping her. That's how I got my second dog too.

My first GSD I found through an ad on Pedigree Database and got from her previous owner, who got her as a puppy from good lines, as a breeding/Sch prospect. Not from a BYB, they did health testing, exams, titling etc (although some buyers have had problems with them...) She was also OFA'd but she ended up getting pyometra and had to be spayed, so they were looking for a "pet" home for her.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 03-04-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page