Small Dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Small Dogs?

Who has small dogs (under 15lbs) that co-habitat with their GSDs? How does everyone get along?

We're getting our first small dog (not my first, but a first for my boyfriend) in a few weeks and I'm interested to hear how everyone else's small dogs coexist with their GSDs.. particularly interested in working dogs, but would love to hear from everyone!

Cruiser ~ Brix ~ Ferra ~ Ginte ~ Bacardi
Kira ~ Gitta ~ Maik ~ Amalka ~ Hety ~ Taz
Rudy ~ Ari ~ Dami

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM

I have a Fox Terrier and a Chi/Fox Terr. Everyone gets along good. Harley sometimes tries to show the small male that he is boss but nothing aggrressive.

Jake GSD 5/2012

Harley GSD 5/14/07-5/12/16

I would rather spend time with my GSD than alot of people!!!!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Crowned Member

Haha, well Frag isn't a working dog, but he does numerous sports if that counts?

We have a 9 pound, frail, rat terrier mix female. They get along great. He's always been good with little dogs and puppies though. He lays down and whines at her for them to play and she jumps all over him. If he starts getting too rough she barks/corrects him and he listens and backs off. I think the size difference makes it easier for him to listen to the correction instead of getting on the defensive like some dogs do to other dogs equal or great in size. He knows there's no challenge with her, and doesn't want to hurt her.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
I don't have a small dog...yet, but my GSD gets along really well with my best friends three small dogs.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Master Member

Well, i worked in a vet hosp, boarding kennel for yrs and yrs..always had a gsd and always brought home many babies to nurse and rescues big and small throughout the yrs. Both sheps were great and gentle and would back off.

This guy...Tazor at 4 months is a holy terror with my smaller crew. He is rough and stands over top of them and literally sits on them. No matter how many times hes corrected. He isnt aggressive in a mean way, but seems to want to show dominance for sure.

The little ones (toy poodles an shih tzu) try n correct him but he could care less when they bite..I have a long road ahead..

So , if your dog is a puppy...good luck. Otherwise, should be fine
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Haha, well Frag isn't a working dog, but he does numerous sports if that counts?

We have a 9 pound, frail, rat terrier mix female. They get along great. He's always been good with little dogs and puppies though. He lays down and whines at her for them to play and she jumps all over him. If he starts getting too rough she barks/corrects him and he listens and backs off. I think the size difference makes it easier for him to listen to the correction instead of getting on the defensive like some dogs do to other dogs equal or great in size. He knows there's no challenge with her, and doesn't want to hurt her.
Cruiser, my male, is the one that will be spending the most time with her, as he is the full time house dog (everyone else gets rotated through the house) and this is exactly how I envision them being!

He already LOVES little dogs (plays with one of our employee's JRT puppy, and absolutely worships our office manager's Yorkie

Cruiser ~ Brix ~ Ferra ~ Ginte ~ Bacardi
Kira ~ Gitta ~ Maik ~ Amalka ~ Hety ~ Taz
Rudy ~ Ari ~ Dami

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Crowned Member

Bianca does great with small dogs, in fact I think she's actually better with the little ones that with bigger dogs. I don't have any other dogs but I have had friends with small/toy breed dogs that Bianca has played with/visited, and I have cats who Bianca is great with too.

For example here she is with Danny, a little Chi/Terrier? mix. Even when Bianca was playing with both Calvin(the dog on the left) and Danny together she was very careful to be gentle with Danny and yet still roughouse with Calvin.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:09 AM

I have a 16lbs mutt that gets along great with my GSD Ruby. Actually Ruby is a perfect angel and Roxy (the little one) can be a little snippy at times. Roxy has a pretty big issue with big dogs which before Ruby wasn't an issue because we knew how to introduce a big dog to Roxy and not have it be a problem. Now it's hard because Ruby wants to protect Roxy from anything that scares her. We have been at the dog park and Roxy has started to freak out because a big dog wants to play with her. Ruby will hear this from across the park and come to her rescue even though Roxy is in no danger at all. We are trying to train them both but for now we make sure there aren't any situations where Ruby can do something stupid just because she is protecting her little sister.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

We frequently dog sit for our neighbor's dachsund (sp??)... Echo loves him. He typically plays really rough, but he won't touch the little guy-- just try and get him to chase him. He's also absolutely petrified of the JRT down the street.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 AM

I have a toy poodle pup and my 14 month old Gsd plays with her without stepping on her or showing aggression ! I don't leave them unsupervised though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page