extreme naughty! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Copfreak7
extreme naughty!

My beloved Sarge, who will be a year old on the 10th, has just started an extreme naughty behavior of shredding anything and everything. He's shredded both my sisters' clothing, digging it out of hampers and closets. He's also managed to shred a box of Kleenex and the back of the love seat. He's also destroyed anything outside of the house as well, all the porch lights, etc. My parents want me to sell him or figure out how to stop the shredding, since he's living at their house while I'm down at college.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?? He does have couple rope toys, balls and a kong that gets filled with treats, and he's been going through rawhide bones like crazy. I really don't want to sell my baby boy, he means the world to me.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copfreak7 View Post
My beloved Sarge, who will be a year old on the 10th, has just started an extreme naughty behavior of shredding anything and everything. He's shredded both my sisters' clothing, digging it out of hampers and closets. He's also managed to shred a box of Kleenex and the back of the love seat. He's also destroyed anything outside of the house as well, all the porch lights, etc. My parents want me to sell him or figure out how to stop the shredding, since he's living at their house while I'm down at college.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?? He does have couple rope toys, balls and a kong that gets filled with treats, and he's been going through rawhide bones like crazy. I really don't want to sell my baby boy, he means the world to me.
Thanks!
Training. Training, training, training. A bored dog is a destructive one. GSD's aren't couch potatoes; they need mental stimulation and if you don't provide it they'll find ways to entertain themselves. If it's recent behavior, has there been a recent change to his routine?

At this age, they need a lot of work, a lot of boundaries, and a lot of rules. Practice NILIF. Do obedience work, every day. The goal of obedience work isn't to teach commands-- it's to engage your dog, build a bond, establish who's in charge, and most importantly get them to think.

We had a guy bring his GSD in, not sure why the dog was being destructive. He said he put him on a treadmill for an hour a day. When that didn't work, he put him on a treadmill for two hours a day. That still didn't work, the dog was still out of control. Turns out, he did NO obedience work with him, no mental stimulation whatsoever. He'd come home from work, put the dog on the treadmill, then veg out on the couch. All he was doing was building his stamina to destroy

30 minutes of mental work (there are also good brain-teaser games, too!) will tire a dog out just as quickly as an hour on a treadmill.

Like I said-- if it's recent, think about changes in his routine, as well. Good luck with your pup
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

the only change I can think of was I came back down to college. I feel bad for him, because he wants to play so much, but my parents and siblings don't want to play with him as much as I normally do when I'm home. Whenever I'm home, he's usually a very good boy, listens to me and rarely chews on anything. I wish my land lady allowed pets cause I would have him down here in a flash.. I had him in beginner obedience class earlier this year and he stopped chewing and what not.

Thanks for the tips though! I have more stuff to do with him when I do go home on weekends and breaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
the only change I can think of was I came back down to college. I feel bad for him, because he wants to play so much, but my parents and siblings don't want to play with him as much as I normally do when I'm home. Whenever I'm home, he's usually a very good boy, listens to me and rarely chews on anything. I wish my land lady allowed pets cause I would have him down here in a flash.. I had him in beginner obedience class earlier this year and he stopped chewing and what not.

Thanks for the tips though! I have more stuff to do with him when I do go home on weekends and breaks.
Going back to college is a huge change. It makes total sense, to me, that he would act out. It was really hard on Mac when I went back to work full-time. Have you thought about renting a room or finding roommates to rent a place that allows dogs. I know its not easy but its possible. A friend of mine just rented her house out and just charges extra for the pets. Good luck...my heart really goes out to him.

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

i've looked and there's nothing around here that will allow him there was a house, but there's only a total of 3 of us, and they wouldn't try to work something out. Sarge didn't act up like this at the beginning of the school year, so I'm not sure why, but I so really do miss my baby boy.
Wish your friend was here! haha
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

It's an age thing. I do think it's a phase a lot of dogs go through. My dog was good in the house from the time he was 4 months old until he was 12 months old. At 12 months, it was like a switch flipped and he started destroying things when I was gone. Back to the crate! Now when we leave the house he goes into the crate. We'll try un-crating him again in a few months but for now he's crated.

Of course we also work obedience and agility, go for long walks, and have several vigorous fetch sessions a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM

Last edited by Emoore; 03-02-2012 at 12:10 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:

That's a tough situation Have you talked to your parents at all? Do they have any interest in keeping him active/are they willing to help work with him? I agree with EMoore, it is also an age thing...kind of akin to the "terrible two" stage. Is he crated? Crate him when there isn't someone watching him like a hawk.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, college sucks up most of my weeks haha. yes I've talked to my parents and sometimes they do but I don't think my mom really likes Sarge, she says he's too big. He just turned one this past Saturday. We got him a bunch of new toys and a HUGE raw hide bone and he hasn't shredded anything since. My fiance and I played with him for about 2 hours on Saturday and then pretty much all day on Sunday before I headed back down for school. So far no complaints.

We crate all the dogs at home except for one whenever we leave to go to town, etc. My parents started to crate him in the morning, and it seems to have helped with shredding things in the house haha. The only thing that drives them nuts is that Sarge has decided to pick up howling and whining when crated.

Thank you all for your tips! I was afraid at first that maybe it was how I trained him and what not. Good to know it's not that, just most likely age and need of more exercise.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Master Member

More toys! When he is chewing something that shouldn't be chewed say "no" and hand him a comparable toy ( chewing something hard= hard toy. soft= soft toy.) More exercise 1+ hour of formal exercise a day (by this I mean walking/running.)

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page