Clueless on German Shepherds!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Question Clueless on German Shepherds!!

Hi. I do not have the pleasure of owning a German Shepherd as of yet. I have always wanted to have one!

My husband and I have always had Labradors. We lost our female Lab last October. We then decided that we wanted to bring a new breed into our lives.

I started looking at breeds that would provide me with more of a watch/guard instinct than our Labs can provide.

I researched forever. I finally narrowed it down to three breeds: German Shepherd, Doberman, and Boxer.

I called a respected local vet in our area and discussed it with him. He informed me that a Doberman can be unpredictable, and would not advise that if there were children around my home.

He was fond of the German Shepherd, but did inform me that I might have some issues with a Shepherd becoming territorial. He said I might encounter some issues if a neighbor or delivery man came onto my property when we were not home.

He spoke highly of the Boxer and thought the Boxer would make me a fine watchdog without some of the issues with the Doberman or Shepherd.

So, we went with the Boxer. We got a female. She is 7 months now. I love my Boxer girl to death! I see why he spoke so fondly of this breed. She is a great companion! I don't regret adopting her for one minute! Although, I do wander if she is going to provide me with the watchdog instinct that I was looking for.

We live in the country. Just last night, there were coyotes passing through on our property. My husband and I began discussing again, that we might should invest in a German Shepherd, and then we wouldn't have these coyotes coming around!

Are the statements my vet made about the Shepherd correct?

I read on my own somewhere that a male Shepherd is more territorial of his property, and that a female is more protective of her family. Is that usually true?

We will wait until our Boxer is a little older before bringing a Shepherd into our family. And we also hope to have a little "human" baby in the near future!

How do Shepherds get along with other dogs and babies? Would you advise to get the Shepherd before the baby or after?

We have several acres for our dogs to run and exercise, and they have access to a pond. We don't really have close neighbors.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Mandy from Alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:31 PM

I have had up to 4 gsd's at one time, and it certainly hasn't/didn't deter coyotes one bit

I have about an acre fenced backing up to the woods, and the coyotes come right up to the fence when they feel like it, or out in my front yard.

Glad you are happy with your boxer, and yes if I were you, I would wait until your boxer is fully trained to what you want before adding another dog. I personally don't have any kids, but if things changed around, I would have the baby first and then bring in a gsd puppy, just my way of doing things.

I haven't found any of the gsd's I've had or have to be real territorial but that depends on the dog. My male aussie is pretty territorial but my gsd's always have let a stranger in the house when I am here to supervise with no problems.

I'm sure others will chime in as to the territorial thing and again, depends on the dog I would assume.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned

A GSD would not be able to ward off coyotes.
Even if you kept it outside (which I would not recommend), coyotes can come and kill your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

I have two GSDs and the coyotes frequently come right up to our backyard fence.

If you own a female boxer and are planning to get a Shepherd, get a male. Female German Shepherds can have same-sex aggression issues. My two male Shepherds absolutely will not let people on the property if we're not home. In fact it can be a huge hassle when I want to go out of town. There's only one guy they'll let come into the house to feed, walk, and take care of them.

Definitely wait until your Boxer is a couple of years old, calmed down a bit, and fully trained. To me the ideal age gap is 4-5 years.

I would either have the baby, wait a bit, and then get a puppy, or get a puppy, wait a year or two, and have the baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Banned

BTW, if you need protection for livestock, llamas are said to drive away coyotes.
And a properly trained livestock guardian dog may be able to ward off coyotes.
But we find a gun helps a lot
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

You can't really make generalizations about breeds as the vet did. There are all kinds of GSDs, Boxers, and Dobermans. I have a friend with 3 boxers: 2 males and 1 female. 1 male is a sweet dog with all dogs and people. 1 male has weak nerves and fear-aggressive. The female is half-way but tends to be aggressive, especially with other females.
In a group of GSDs, Dobermans or other breeds you can find any variety of temperaments. You have to research the background of the sire and dam and even after that 'get lucky'.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM
EJQ
Knighted Member

Sorry, I don’t know a thing about Boxers. I’m afraid that I do not entirely agree with your vet. My cousin raises Dobies and they are loves. ALL dogs are territorial. How they behave depends upon the dog and their training and their socialization (three KEY factors). When service people come into our driveway we normally have to keep our dogs in the house. They are very friendly! Especially when the UPS guy shows up, they think that the open truck door is an invitation to get a treat and go for a ride. Training and early introductions to the guy in the brown truck and everyone else is the way we did that.
I would have to say that I believe that the male GSD is more protective of property whereas the females are more people/family orientated which I would think is quite natural.
GSDs are very good with other dogs – again training & socialization. They are very protective of their families and that includes the baby size people! Our two sons were raised with two female GSDs – where the boys went the girls went! Oh yes, we have six grandchildren – they all came after our GSDs.
We also have coyotes wandering on our property. I have only been witness to one encounter between one of our GSDs and a pair of coyotes. I posted news of the event quite a while ago. Even though at that time the coyotes took off, there is no evidence that our dogs are a deterrent in any way.
Good luck with your new puppy.
I just have to say (this is not a nasty comment) you would have been much better off if you had confided in GSD owners, not your vet.

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM

I once drove past a farm near here - on one side of a fence was a coyote "dancing" around playfully at the massive GSD on the other side of the fence. The GSD was also dancing around too, both were wagging their tails, tongues hanging out, it looked like they were having a great time.

So definitely that particular GSD was not a coyote deterrent.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 PM

I have always seen donkeys used as defense for livestock. And I too recommend a good rifle for that cause...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

i think the coyote was pulling the old rope-a-dope.
"hi Shep, come on, lets run in the field and play
with my 4 friends". BAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koimr View Post
I once drove past a farm near here - on one side of a fence was a coyote "dancing" around playfully at the massive GSD on the other side of the fence. The GSD was also dancing around too, both were wagging their tails, tongues hanging out, it looked like they were having a great time.

So definitely that particular GSD was not a coyote deterrent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page