I am a foster failure! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I am a foster failure!

Back in December, I took in a young girl that I named Pippa. She came out of a kill shelter in Roanoke, Va. The shelter said she was 3 but it is pretty obvious she is much younger. She also has obviously been very mistreated by someone if not actually abused and had major and I mean, MAJOR, fear issues. I have spent the last 3 months working VERY hard with her and she is now to the the point she could be adopted out.

I am going to be adopting her however. While I have falling in love with her, I still could have found her another forever home except for one thing. She and my girl Dharma have bonded completely and totally. They are the bestest of friends and absolutely adore each other. I started seriously considering almost 2 weeks ago and then one night last week I was cooking dinner. Dharma was laying on the kitchen floor next to the back door. Pippa walked up to Dharma, started to nuzzle her face and then licked Dharma's ear. Dharma lifted her head toward Pippa. When Pippa was done she laid down right next to Dharma and they laid side by side while I cooked dinner.

The play SO well together, lay next to each other all the time and snuggle on the back seat in the car. I may love Pippa but Dharma REALLY loves and adores her and the feeling is mutual. I just can't break them up. After a long talk with my foster mentor, she agrees. I have researched adding Pippa to Dharma's insurance policy (it isn't expensive) and hope to start herding with them as soon as I can find a place.

I have a few things to take care of before I can make it completely official though. I will still be active in the rescue although I will not be able to long term foster anymore. I just don't have the room.

Here is a picture of the angel taken on her very first visit to Petco.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Crowned Member

Congrats on your "new" addition! The two sound like a perfect match.

I was also a foster failure, with my Rat Terrier mix, mostly because I just got too attached to him... He also got along really well with my other dog (Golden Retriever) and actually he cleaned my Golden's ears every day for his whole life! It was so cute. He'd start nudging her to get her to lie down. As soon as she did, he'd flip her ear flap up and lick her ear clean. When he was done with that ear, he'd nudge her again and she'd roll over for him to do the other ear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Crowned Member

Thank you for helping Pippa. I am sure Dharma will love you even more for letting her have her lil sis Pippa forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM

You and Dharma have big hearts. Pippa deserves you and will flourish in your care. Sometimes being a foster failure is a great thing, especially for the foster family. Best of luck!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Master Member

Congratulations and best wishes to all of you.

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

Congratulations! Pippa is so pretty.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Elite Member

Welcome to the Foster Failure Family! Muahahahaha.

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Elite Member

Pippa is beautiful!! Welcome to the foster failure club After owning GSD's and most of all our Kaos, I'd never thought a mix with floppy ears that weighs over 100 lbs at 11 months could win my heart.....but he did. I am a proud foster failure

Have fun with your girls, sounds like Dharma made up her mind well before you did!!

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Master Member

There's a reason my SO won't let me foster...I would likely adopt every dog I got....congrats on Pippa, she's a total doll!!!

Sheldon (WGSD) 5/20/2011
Oliver (ball python) 10/10 (gotcha day)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

haha I knew you were going to keep her!! Congrats!!!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page