How far do you go? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How far do you go?

Out of curiosity, how many times a day do you walk your dog(s)? When you do, how many miles do you usually go?

Kaiser is 1 month post-FHO on his right hip so right now he can't go more then a mile.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM

My dogs will go up to 10 miles in a single walk, then we come home and play fetch in the yard (I live on almost 2 acres), then go inside and work on commands. Then a little later we'll go back out and play more fetch, or maybe even go for another walk. My dogs go as long and as far as they want to. I let them decide when they've had enough

Cedar - August 8, 2010
Titan - October 20, 2011
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

Leash walks don't really exercise my GSDs, they are more crazed when we get home than when we left! I hate jogging outside on pavement (have issues with the impact on the joints even though I'm not overweight) so I kid you not I'm actually paying a few people to run Pan for me, $1 per mile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

we've been using the bike to do road work. We started off slowly and are up to a bit over 5 miles, 3X a week. Other days we have class or just play in the yard. 2 dogs and 5 chuck-it balls get them pretty tired out.
I agree with Lies, leash walks just make him more excited - a warm-up before the exercise starts!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

I usually go about 3-4 miles on a regular walk. Actual hikes may be longer at times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Liesje, how far do they usually run Pan for you? I also can't run on concrete/hard surfaces even though I'm not fat (or old). My joints just can't handle it. Have you ever considered a bike? I'm planning on teaching him how to run with a bike once he's up and running again.

Dainerra, I wish my dogs had ball drive. Neither of them do. Kaiser is absolutely in love with his flirt pole though; he could chase that thing all day if I let him. Obviously he hasn't been allowed to play with it though for the last few months, but hopefully soon we can start again.

Chicagocanine, I'm too nervous to take my dogs hiking around here. Too many rattlers and cactus everywhere for me to feel comfortable. You are very lucky.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

Like Liesje said walking doesn't really excerise my boy but I really enjoy walking and he is more than happy to come along with me. I walk almost every morning & night and love to hike on the weekends.

Daily we walk about 5 miles...the weekends not sure?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So if walking doesn't exercise your dog what else do you do? Training typically will get my guy tired, which is what we've been doing instead of walks.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

When we go hiking it does..we are up & down and around all kinds of things. We go outside on our property and run, play fetch, tug, hide-n-seek. My husband likes to run and recently started taking him out. I am usually enrolled in some sort of training class where he moves & has to use his noggin which tires him out!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Banned

We do 5-6 miles a day during the week and about 3 on the weekends.
During the week it is broken up into 3 walks during the day.
2-3 miles of that is at a jogging pace, some of it includes racing around with other dogs at full throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page