Feel like a horrible owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Unhappy Feel like a horrible owner

Last night Jinx hurt her paw. I was at the store last night and hubby got home before me and was outside playing fetch with Jinx (hmm all of her injury stories start like this ) She of course was still going strong when I got home and I had them come in so he could eat and she could calm down before dinner. We get inside the door and I see a smudge of blood on the floor so I have her take a step to see if it was her paw or because she's in heat. She takes a step and I see another blood smudge (outline of the gaps between her pads) I instantly know it's something with her paw and go to grab my first aid kit. On the way back to her my husband sees a nail on the carpet so we know she ripped her nail off and it didn't look like the whole thing so I grabbed some stuff to stop the bleeding and wrapped it with vet wrap (loosely). After about 2 hours the wrapping comes off it's not bleeding anymore and she wasn't limping on it but if she put it down just right she would let out a yipe (mainly when she would try to jump on hubby or something) Figured I'd wait until today for a vet check because it stopped bleeding within minutes and didn't think it warranted an emergency visit.

I called the vet this morning and asked them about it and see if there was anything to help calm her besides putting her under anesthesia because I was pretty positive she wasn't going to let them do anything. She's in heat and doesn't like being messed with and while I'm sure I could at least get her to let them look at it if they had to do anything like clip off jagged edges or anything she would probably throw a fit, not bite, but jump around and refuse to let them hold her paw and she has no problem throwing her body weight around. The vet told me not to bring her in because they would just do what I already was. I cleaned it out, wrapped it inside, put plastic baggy over it when she needs a potty break etc... They said if nothing else they may give her something for pain which I still have tramadol from when she had her last pano flare up which they said would be fine if I wanted to use it so they suggested keeping her home and next week after around 3-4 days she was still in pain or if her paw gets swollen before hand then bring her in otherwise just keep her here and do what I already am.

I finally was able to get a good look at it and the nail is still there so wasn't completely ripped off but was ripped back quite a bit. The top part is fine but the bottom part ripped back further so there's a decent amount of flesh exposed and I saw today that it's 2 toes not just one the other nail is a clean break but of course still exposed flesh at the tip then the other toe is the one with more flesh exposed under the nail but the nail that is there isn't jagged. I wish there was more that I could do but right now I don't think there is. Nothing can be clipped I guess I just have to wait and let it heal up some on it's own

I used 2 big clean metal bowls one with fresh water the other with super soapy water and did a decent clean job on her foot (just swished it good in the soapy water so I didn't hurt her) then rinsed it in the clean water really good. Towel dried her paw some and put SSD (silver sulfadiazine cream) which promotes healing of tissue and is an antibacterial cream as well then slipped a sock over it to keep it protected (vet said use a sock inside) I also gave her some colloidal silver orally to help boost her immune system and act as a natural antibiotic to help ward off any infection I did double check with the vet and she felt it wouldn't hurt any. Plus I could see the red flesh and know she's uncomfortable she just has a high thresh hold so went ahead and gave her a tramadol to make her more comfortable and let her rest. I definitely won't be giving her much for pain but just something today and maybe 1 pill tomorrow depending on how she's feeling but for now she's resting and I just want to make her more comfortable.

I know I should be used to her being accident prone but I feel so bad hubby feels rotten because it happened on his watch and it's the first injury he has been here for so she's milking it with him. Last night she went over to him while he was eating dinner and would stare at him and when he looked at her she'd get this sad pouty face and lift her back paw up like "but I'm injured" and he'd give her part of his dinner lol. Doesn't work with mom I won't be suckered in like that but I do feel bad and want to do everything I can to help her. I guess I just feel so bad because I feel like I should be doing more and actually WANT to do a vet visit and they don't see the need for it and honestly I understand why because looking at her nails I don't see anything else they can do and they don't feel like they can do anything else then what I am so they don't want to stress her out anymore even though she's good at the vet.

Sorry for the long post just feeling like a bad mommy at the moment. Guess I'm kind of hoping that someone will have advice either that I'm doing the right thing or maybe something else I can do or something

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

All this over a broken toenail? You're overreacting, dear. You are not a bad dog mom! Broken nails happen all the time, and they heal up just fine on their own and don't require an expensive vet vist.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Elite Member

I see one of these almost every night I have worked for the last 10 years. This happens ALL the time. DO NOT feel bad about it. They are so good at knowing how to pull on our heartstrings and it sounds like Jinx is doing just that.

You are doing a great job of keeping it clean. You are doing alot more than most people would to be honest.

Don't beat yourself up to much. Sounds like Jinx has a wonderful mom taking care of her. And a great dad to spoil her rotten!

Christina

Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12

Kya - GSD 7/15/00-11/3/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

well it's not just the broken toe nail she has done those before and not a big deal but the one has quite a bit of flesh exposed and that is what makes me feel so bad I KNOW it hurts. I'd say the one toe nail probably has close to 1/3 inch of flesh showing and it breaks my heart

Thank you though for actually reading through it all lol it just drives me nuts knowing something is wrong but I don't think there is anything else I can do and makes me feel helpless.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Last week I was out running with Niko in the snow and I saw a set of paw prints with a blood trail. As we ran I kept getting more and more mad because what kind of awful owner makes his dog run when its bleeding like that!!!

Then I got back to our driveway and saw the bloody footprints went right to my house. Guess who's dog was bleeding from a paw cut the whole way?

Don't feel too bad.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 PM

When I saw your thread, I was expecting to read a horror story! I wouldn't worry to much about a broken toenail...especially after all you have done to treat it.

A very similar thing happened to my dog at the vet. She split a toenail in half while scrambling around on the scale. I still have no idea how that is possible. I didn't notice until she was in the car, but I wasn't even out of the parking lot before I did. I took her back in and they cut the damage off. She bleed like crazy and it was pretty awful looking. However, she is no worse for wear.

Gracie - GSD - May 3, 2011
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Knighted Member

Awww....Jinx. ♥

I will think of you when my pup does this at some point.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Kaz
Banned

*removing this because it's inappropriate and not funny*.

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 02-24-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: inappropriate
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

it doesn't lighten the mood it is actually quite offensive and quite frankly mocking. Sorry I'm not someone who will let my dog show signs of something wrong and not take it to the vet because I'd rather sit here and have someone else diagnose it over the internet. I'm all for home remedies if you know whats wrong which is why I knew it wasn't worth rushing to the ER but she has quite a bit of flesh exposed and is yiping in pain.. I know something is up and I will fix it not just wait it out for my dog to suffer because i won't take her in to the vet. Unfortunately this is something that I have to wait out and make sure it stays clean and doesn't get infected so I am taking every precaution as I can to make sure she doesn't get an infection and it stays clean and dry. My feeling bad may be an over reaction but not making sure exposed flesh doesn't become infected. I'm the first person to make jokes to lighten a mood but not everything needs a lightened mood and there are MUCH better and more tactful ways to do it.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Kaz
Banned

Of course you are right!

How dare some one not adhere to what you find funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page