Bigger, bigger, bigger, bigger, bigger - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Bigger, bigger, bigger, bigger, bigger

What is it with people who think german shepherds should be huge? Sure, I understand if there's a need for a big dog, but why do people think that family pets should be huge?

I was talking to someone with a 30 pound mutt (nothing wrong with them - I've loved more than my share in my life), who sighed and looked sorry for me when I told her that Teddy was probably going to be on the smallish side for a german shepherd. "Oh, couldn't you get a bigger one?"

I DON'T WANT A HUNDRED AND TEN POUND DOG! I wanted a smaller shepherd.
Thank you.

Rant over.

Jo & Teddy,my female german shepherd, born Christmas Day, 2011
"One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is his tail wags instead of his tongue." - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Cleo was on the smaller side and also a sable. Both of those things also made people ask if she was a mix.
I loved her size.

RIP Cleopatra Von Streinbreck
7-8-2002 to 2-8-2012
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Master Member

I love my 40lb mutt I've decided he's my perfect size. I don't mind bigger dogs and I love my 70lb GSD also but he's the best of both worlds! I can pick him up and cuddle him but he can hike for miles and is one sturdy pup. Plus he fits under all the rental weight limits in our town

Brooke

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Elite Member

I like big dogs, you can roughhouse with them a bit harder. They help keep the bed warmer on cold winter nights.

That being said I am really enjoying the size of the new Mal in the house. She can crawl into my lap and I'm not worried about an accidental orchidectomy. I can catch her when she jumps into my arms rather than stumble backwards. To be honest of the two I have the Mal would be the one that would present the most challenge to engage in a "fight". She's massively overpowered for her frame and is unholy quick. Her reflexes are a bit damped due to age, but even at around 8 years old she is just downright scary with how quickly she tracks and vectors to things. I can see why some folks think Mals are reactive, it's not reactive it's just an innate ability to be that much faster than we are used to seeing in dogs. Being a big powerful dog has advantages, but so does being compact and quick as the dickens.

Never cook bacon while naked.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Master Member

People tell me this all the time!

They ask if they are purbreds first, when I say yes, they then ask the age. Once I divulge that bit of info, they go into this "expert opinion" mode on how they are the wrong color (Sable and solid black), how they are way to small, and far too skinny. Also, why are they so "hyper", Shepherds are supposed to be calm. So they must be mixed.

I usually say something like, "Thanks! See you later!" - don't let it get to you at all.

If someone takes the time to genuinely ask me out of curiosity/they really don't know - why my dogs are smaller than some, why they are not the "usual" color and why they can run/chase a ball for 2 hours, I will take the time to explain the different lines, the built for work, and the made to go all day information.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

This is America. Bigger = Better. We drive big trucks, watch big fireworks shows, wave big flags, and like big dogs.

Not to say I agree with all that, but "bigger is better" is just kind of a general way of thinking here.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

I thought I wanted a big GSD. Now that I take my pup everywhere I got I hope she stops at about 60-65lbs. Any bigger might be a pain in the neck hahaha
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member

"I want my puppy to be huge!" "my dog is going to be enormous, my vet says 130 lbs" "oh my, your dog is so small!" "he's such a little guy (said about my 85 lb boy who is taller than breed standard as well) "when is he supposed to fill out, aren't they supposed to be like 110 lbs?"

UGHHH.

I wish Echo had topped out at 70 lbs... he's like a bull in a china shop.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I thought I wanted a big GSD. Now that I take my pup everywhere I got I hope she stops at about 60-65lbs. Any bigger might be a pain in the neck hahaha
Isn't this the truth! I have a neighbor with two St. Bernards and she takes them with her everywhere... in her compact little Honda! A big drooly head sticking out each back window is a sight to behold and always makes me laugh. She said her next dogs will be a bit smaller.

Brooke

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000

Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007

Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
This is America. Bigger = Better. We drive big trucks, watch big fireworks shows, wave big flags, and like big dogs.

Not to say I agree with all that, but "bigger is better" is just kind of a general way of thinking here.
Yup, what HE ^^^ said.
My dog is at the top of or over the standard for females (25.5") and people think she is small. I keep seeing taller and taller GSDs and prouder and prouder owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page