Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Collection of home remedies
So I was thinking that together as a community we have several centuries of experience with GSD's. This would be a great resource to tap and document a list of home remedies, things to do and don't vis a vis GSD's.
Please post your own experience, critique and correct mistakes, but please lets not get off topic. This thread can then be used as a reference for members, new and old, to quickly reference information.
My 2 cents worth:
1) Dont feed GSD's : Raw hide, raisins, grapes, onions, chocolate.
2) Rice + Pumpkin is great for upset tummies / diarrhea.
3) Never feed GSD's cooked chicken bones, raw chicken bones are fine.
4) Too much calcium is harmful. 1.2% calcium is the recommended percentage of daily calcium intake in conjunction with phosphorus.
5) If it rains, the soil gets wet and there are various germs which surface and thrive in this wetness. If your dog ingests these germs, diarrhea and puking is common place. Symptoms must not last more than a day. Symptoms should be monitored closely, lest there be Parvo. Advisable to take the dog to a vet.
6) Adding Turmeric to your dog's diet is beneficial in preventing cancer.
7) Plantains and elms are beneficial in cubing dog diarrhea. (What about Bananas?)
8) pepto bismol is evidently good for treating diarrhea about dogs (confirmation requested).
Please add to the list.