Serious Question Regarding Socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Serious Question Regarding Socialization

I've put this in the general discussion section, because the socialization question pertains to me more than my pup.

A few years ago I was quite viciously attacked by a dog, and since then I've been a lot more cautious around dogs I don't know.

My pup will be socialized with the dogs whom I know and live around, weekly visits with her littermate (now with my married daughter), plenty of walks where we'll meet folks and their dogs, visits to pet stores to meet people, and obedience classes. Do you think this will be enough socialization for a GSD? Will I be able to give her what she needs? I've never had trouble being "alpha" to my dogs, but I haven't had a large breed in a few years, so I haven't had to think about this as much.

I can't help but thinking that all of this will be socializing me as much as Teddy.

According to the breeder she has a very chilled personality, and I concur with his opinion.

Jo & Teddy,my female german shepherd, born Christmas Day, 2011
"One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is his tail wags instead of his tongue." - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_in_TX View Post

My pup will be socialized with the dogs whom I know and live around, weekly visits with her littermate (now with my married daughter), plenty of walks where we'll meet folks and their dogs, visits to pet stores to meet people, and obedience classes. Do you think this will be enough socialization for a GSD?
Sounds like good dog-socialization, but she'll need more human-socialization. Think about all the different colors and shapes and varieties of people out there, and try to let your pup have as many positive experiences with as may different varieties of human as possible: old ones, young ones, ones in wheelchairs and on crutches, light-and dark-colored ones, ones who speak with different accents and wear different clothes. IMHO, this is more important than meeting lots of different dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Emoore, I live in a very multicultural area, so "variety" of people is not going to be a problem.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I appreciate it.

"One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is his tail wags instead of his tongue." - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 PM

I know when I got Carly, I raced her outside when I saw the neighborhood boys out on their bicycles. They all stopped to pet her, and then rode up and down the street in front of her. They were more than happy to show Carly that noisy boys on bicycles was just a normal thing.

Take advantage of opportunities!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I know when I got Carly, I raced her outside when I saw the neighborhood boys out on their bicycles. They all stopped to pet her, and then rode up and down the street in front of her. They were more than happy to show Carly that noisy boys on bicycles was just a normal thing.

Take advantage of opportunities!
I have a young adult living at home and two middle schoolers - with all that implies. I'm not too worried about the people socialization as much as "other big dog" socialization. Aside from weekly visits with her sister, most of the dogs around here are small or - if they are larger - they're very, very old.

It's the "big dog" socialization that I'm worried about, and since I've been attacked I'm not too excited to seek out dog parks and such where I could find larger dogs. I guess I'll just have to work on my own bit of anxiety.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page