females in heat-scent radius? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

females in heat-scent radius?

My boy has been driving me batty the last 3 days. He does not want to stay in the house at all, he wants to be outside. He's never outside alone. He's going outside & running around the yard with his nose in the air...like he wants to enhale as much as he can. Then his nose is to the ground and he's on a mission, jerky movements, running the perimeter of the property, then he will whine a little.

When he's in the house he's pawing at the door to go out. He's not crated at night & has been the last two nights because he's pawing at the door to go out at 2, 3 & 4am...which is just weird for him. At first I was taking him out thinking he had to potty, but no he wants to sniff.

Our property backs a heavy wooded area, so I was thinking maybe critters were coming in the yard that he was smelling? Then I thought about maybe there is a female in heat somewhere?? I don't have females so am clueless about this. We live in a pretty romote area & I know most of the dogs on our street, most are males with the exception of a senior lab.

If he smells a female, how far out can their scent go? Does this sound like what he smells? We have been in training class when a female was coming into heat and he didn't really pay her any mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 PM

My knowledge is limited, but with my bitch and my male , there is only four maybe five days of her heat cycle that my male is inconsolable. As far as how far a scent can travel , sorry I am clueless. With what you describe there could very well be a bitch in heat somewhere near . My male is completely bezerk for those few days , he cannot concentrate on anything , does not eat , howls and wines constantly. It is a real pain I agree. Oh about the training class, depending how far into heat the bitch is he may not care. Like I said previously there is only a specific number of days in which the bitch is fertle and the males know when, Usually it is towards the end of thier cycle.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

ah-ha thanks for the info & I'm relieved to hear his out of body experience should be ending soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Knighted Member

Some people say that males can scent a female in heat for up to 3 mile radius. My girl is about to go into heat and my male is salivating/drooling so much that he forms puddles whenever he sniffs her

Has he been drooling excessively? Does he have more frequent *ahem* excitements? Is he howling? That's usually my sign that there's a female around in heat because Whiskey will start drooling, howling, whining, getting erections and mounting. I usually just put a stop to the mounting with corrections and let the poor guy wait it out.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Some people say that males can scent a female in heat for up to 3 mile radius. My girl is about to go into heat and my male is salivating/drooling so much that he forms puddles whenever he sniffs her

Has he been drooling excessively? Does he have more frequent *ahem* excitements? Is he howling? That's usually my sign that there's a female around in heat because Whiskey will start drooling, howling, whining, getting erections and mounting. I usually just put a stop to the mounting with corrections and let the poor guy wait it out.
Actually yes a little drooling. No howling, but whining a little, he's never mounted. About the erections..other than his "red rocked" sticking out (which it does often ever since he was a pup!)...I'm not sure if I have ever seen him with an erection or the other *ahem*??

He's our only dog & will be two in March.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Knighted Member

Yea then it certainly isn't that bad. Just need to wait it out I bet. Maybe the female is far enough away to not elicit too strong of a response

I've known dogs that go off food and sit there howling day and night. Thank your stars it hasn't come to that!

Ash

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Yea then it certainly isn't that bad. Just need to wait it out I bet. Maybe the female is far enough away to not elicit too strong of a response

I've known dogs that go off food and sit there howling day and night. Thank your stars it hasn't come to that!
Oh sheesh! Yes, I do feel lucky then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page