Multiple Dog Owners - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Smile Multiple Dog Owners

I am mostly interested in hearing from people with 3+ dogs but also would like input from those with 2. I just got my 4th dog, a male toy poodle puppy. He is very different from my other dogs (GSD, GSD mix, Alaskan Husky) and his needs are different. A few questions.
1) What is your schedule?
2) Do you work?
3) What kind of dogs do you have? Do they all have the same type of needs?
4) Do you spend the majority of the time with your dogs as a pack or get to spend more time individually with them?

Anything else you want to add?

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky2200 View Post
I am mostly interested in hearing from people with 3+ dogs but also would like input from those with 2. I just got my 4th dog, a male toy poodle puppy. He is very different from my other dogs (GSD, GSD mix, Alaskan Husky) and his needs are different. A few questions.
2) Do you work?
4) Do you spend the majority of the time with your dogs as a pack or get to spend more time individually with them?

1) Currently my schedule revolves around cleaning, exercise and dogs.
I sometimes walk them all together, but switch it up now bc they get this little gang mentality if it is the four of us.

2) Not currently. But when I did, I would play with the dogs in the morning...then feed them and off to work. I would walk them when I got back.

3) I have 3 GSDs. They all have the same general needs...however, one is old and needs meds and to take it slightly easy. Another is a puppy who never stops going. She needs more exercise.

4) Both. I mix it up.

Beware of jealousy issues. I have that sometimes.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Master Member

Quote:
2) Do you work?

1) Wake up, walk/potty dogs, feed dogs, get ready to go to work. Load dogs into truck. Stop on the way to work, run dogs. Lunch 4 days a week, run dogs. 3-4 days/week, training after work. Sat - family day, dogs hang out around the house or come with us depending on the activity. Sundays, 3 hour run, followed by training.

2)Yes, two jobs. One full time day job, at night I train dogs for a local dog obedience school and run my own dog training services.

3) Leonberger, Two working line Shepherds, rescued husky mix and Chi/Pom. They do not have the same needs, although they really only differ in energy levels. They still all get the same amount of training/exercise (even the chi) they just end up either completely wasted, or in the case of the Shepherds, just right...LOL

4) I would say they all get 50% of their time alone, and 50% with the other dogs. Most of our OB is 1-on-1 and the others are either not there at all, or in a down stay waiting for their turn. Most of their exercise is together though. When we do our runs on Sunday (longest), afterwards the Chi is good for 2 days and will mostly sleep he is so tired...LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
2) Do you work?

I have 3 dogs...7 year old samoyed mix, 2 year golden retriever, and 5.5 month old shepherd. At any given time I have an additional 1 or 2 dogs that stay until they find a home. They are all playful and easy going. I spent the time and trained the golden for one year and I'm doing the same with the shepherd. Generally once they are older I do everything with all of them(walks, indoor training, fetch). When they are younger its more one on one for socialization. The shepherd will get ongoing training probably forever. I work 10 hours a day and spend the rest of the time when I'm home cleaning fur, feeding dogs, taking dogs out, playing hide and seek, taking dogs to school, etc....I also have 2 bigger fish tanks, 5 cats, and currently a rabbit...so I'm busy and exhausted but I love them all

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
1) What is your schedule?*** Wake up 6-6:30am, help feed (this is my 17yr. old's chore) the special needs dogs, those who require a different diet and/or medications. Then potty dogs while I'm home, rotating 2-3 groups of foster dogs and then our own dogs in and out the doors. Cleaning up if someone couldn't wait until their turn to go out If I've got appointments, potty everyone then put them up in crates, etc. until I get home, then resume the potty routine. Clean around potty/exercise outings. Work on pics, and different basic training according to who needs what.

2) Do you work? ***I run a rescue/am the rescue

3) What kind of dogs do you have? Do they all have the same type of needs?***We have Dachshunds, a Boston mix, a Sheltie mix and a GSD puppy (Ruger). We foster all kinds of dogs/dog breeds, usually smaller but occasionally larger breeds (over 50lbs). Nobody has the same type needs. We have young to old, small to large, sick/recovering from illness to completely healthy, and everything in between. Currently we have an end-of-life girl on heart meds, for instance, and one who had her eye removed (puppy girl) and then assorted issues like a broken leg (Calibur who just got adopted today, yay!) it's a full time job remembering who takes what and when, and who needs what and when. Our own pack is currently very healthy :knocks on wood:

4) Do you spend the majority of the time with your dogs as a pack or get to spend more time individually with them? ***it depends on the dog. I don't need my own dogs to fulfill me, if they get their enjoyment and fulfillment from each other. If one of mine needs more time with me, I carve out time to snuggle with it. The fosters tend to entertain each other, and same for them, if one needs more time with us than each other we make time, even if it's one of the kids taking the dog in their room at some point after school, etc., to hang out with it and give it socialization.

A lot of work. A LOT. Many times I wish we didn't have so many. I'd like to go on vacation without bringing a dozen dogs, or worrying (should we choose to leave them home). But I've learned so much about dogs, their health and behaviors, etc. and it gives me a purpose which on some days, is tough to find.
That said...when some of my own start passing from age, I doubt I'll be replacing them. We get in too many dogs who end up staying due to lack of interest in them, or inability of new home to care for them (I mean nobody even applies). So either way I doubt our pack would seriously dwindle to less than 5-7 dogs at any given time.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE
I have 6 dogs, 2 German Shepherds, 2 Cairn Terriers, a JRT and a Chihuahua , I also have 4 horses and work/commute a total of 13 hours a day, 4 days a week. The horses are fed and cleaned at 4:45am and the dogs accompany me as we turn out and clean stalls, they are fed and put in their day kennels at 6:30 which are clean horse stalls and stay there till I return at 7:30 in the evening, the terriers stay in one stall, the Shepherds each in their own stall, and the Chihuahua in an x-pen in the computer room. I do my evening chores from 7:30 to 9:00 pm while the dogs play with me and themselves, than we come in and crash on the sofa for 2 hours of Tv before starting all over, weekends they stay with me all day, we ride the trails on Saturdays and all but the Chihuahua accompany me, I take the Chihuahua with me on shopping errands.

INTCH, U-GRCH V Alta-Tollhaus Gavin schH3, UWP, KKL1a, OFA EXCELLENT, DM-Clear
MHDW ( Most Handsome Dog In World)

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.

Last edited by LARHAGE; 02-15-2012 at 07:19 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

I recently added a Malinois to the house, and I'm glad I did. So I have an 8 year old German Shep and a 8 year old Mal, male GSD/Fem Mal.

My bond with the GSD is extraordinary, I'm going to have to say he is a wise old soul. It's sort of difficult to say that knowing how silly and goofy he can be, but watching him interact with the Mal has shown me facets of his personality that otherwise I would have never known.

The Mal (Peppy) is just a joy to behold. She is loving and attentive and just a bit of a social retard. She blunders into situations that in all honesty should cause a dust-up between the dogs but Banjo being so laid-back smooths things out. I enjoy her extreme-ness, everything is 110%. I've taught her to jump into my arms, she crashes into me during greetings. One feels a sense or urgency in her actions, she must and will make her intentions known.

All that rambling has a purpose. I got the Mal in hopes a second dog would keep Banjo company while I am away at work (12 hour shifts, 3 on 2 off....2 on 3 off etc). He seemed a bit melancholy during my 3 day stretches and I began searching for a pack add-on. Peppy popped up and I decided to give it a try.

I have a simple routine. I feed when I leave (6pm) and when I get home (around 8 am). Quiet time for an hour or so after getting home feeding so their stomachs have time to do their thing. On days off it's way more relaxed. I let the dogs tell me when it's time to eat (Banjo will talk to me or bring me his bowl).

As to time with the mutts, I again let the dogs make that call. If one is being a bit more clingy I will create some time for that dog. Banjo is flat-out content these days. I think having a second dog that watches me has freed him up some. Before Peppy he was ALWAYS watching me, never out of my sight. With Peppy around he will actually go outside for long stretches at a time, out of ear shot and sight. He'll actually fall asleep now too. If Peppy goes outside, Banjo will come in and hawk-eye me at that point. I call it guard duty, they both take it pretty seriously.

I got extremely lucky I think. The dogs get along fantastic, their personalities mesh rather well and their interaction seems to enhance their quality of life. It could have gone totally sideways I suppose with such powerful personalities. I make sure I am a strong leader, they both look to me for that and it helps. With dogs it seems you get back what you put in in most cases. I have invested a lot of time and love with these two and it's paying off.

Would I do it again? Case by case there, a dog is a huge responsibility and just adding to the pack because you can seems rash to me. If am so lucky to ever have another dog like Banjo, yes for sure.

Never cook bacon while naked.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

My husband and I have two dogs, no kids.

Wake up at 5:40AM - potty and then feed both dogs breakfast.
7:30AM - take Niko for a five to six mile run
8:30 AM - take Rosa for a 30 minute walk
8:30 to 12 - Both dogs lounge around or follow me around inside the house as I do chores
12:00 - My husband takes both dogs outside to play for 30 to 60 minutes
1:00 PM - dogs get lunch
4:00 PM - My husband takes Niko for a two mile run or walk, then comes back for Rosa'a 30 minute walk. Alternatively he will take both dogs for an off-leash hike around our property for an hour or so.
6:00 PM - Feed dogs dinner
6:01 to 8:00 PM - Dogs relax with chew toys
8:00 PM - Last potty of the night and then into crates

2) Do you work?

My husband works from home and I am retired.

One male GSD, one female GSD/Border collie mix. The female has some exercise limitations due to HD.

We are mostly all together, but usually both my husband and I spend some time with each dog individually. Once a week I take Niko with me to town, just me and him.

For me and my husband, two dogs is about our limit and still feel like we give both dogs the attention they require. We are both fairly new to dog ownership, and have a lot to learn so we can't take on more dogs that just our two, at least for now.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Master Member

Currently this is what it looks like but it changes at the time of year, summer we obviously get more daylight and time for training.

Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat- Wake up at 7:30 am let all the dogs out, clean kennels, feed, load up whoever is going to work with me (all puppies come with for potty training purposes). Rotate whoever came to work with me in the store, they get to socialize with customers, follow me around all day, deal with strange and loud sights and sounds, a fork lift in and out of the building, pallets moving around, different people, etc. Work until 4pm. Get home let all the dogs out again to potty, exercise the dogs either by; walking on property through woods, over creek, through natures agility course, swimming, playing fetch
Let dogs rest for an hour, let out again for a potty break, make food around 6-8pm everyone rests after eating.
Dogs are rotated through the house and resting with us, or in their kennels. Spend the rest of the day lazing around
Last potty break around midnight

Mon, Wed- Wake up at 8am, let all the dogs out, clean kennels, begin individual Obedience Training, Put up for rest, Bring back out for bitework, put up for rest.
Bring dogs back out later in the day and exercise with fetch, swimming, or walking (all dogs are playing with each other the whole time) through woods, over creek, through natures agility course. Put up for rest.
Bring back out again for potty and relaxing time to mill around and enjoy the day. Dogs are rotated through the house and resting with us, or in their kennels. Spend the rest of the day lazing around
Last potty break around midnight

Sun- Let all the dogs out at 8am, pack everyone who competes in SchH in the car if we are traveling to a club for the day. Train with the club for a few hours. Come home and begin routine of Mon & Wed. If we are staying home for the day then its the entire Mon, Wed routine.

2) Do you work? yes two jobs, a day job at a horse and dog retail supply store Tues, thurs, fri, sat and dog training appointments scattered on my days off and nights off.

7 German Shepherds and a pitbull

All very similar exercise levels and dietary requirements, 6 of the 8 dogs are worked in SchH.

We mix it up. We believe both are equally important.

Anything else you want to add? We are a little crazy but we have fun with it!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
2) Do you work?

1. Get up and let dogs out, feed dogs, put Donovan and Elena out in the dogs yards for a bit (separate), take out Deja, let my chickens out, come back in with Deja. She is then hangs out with me and Nike. We usually do a little quick OB for her fish oil pills while I make breakfast. Put Deja up, bring in Donovan and Elena. Put out Alexis and Nike, bring them in and I either head off to do my morning things or they just hang with me. Put Alexis away, bring out Vala. At night Vala and Alexis rotate, Nike is always loose, the other three are crate. Elena also hangs for part of the day in the house and then Donovan comes out and hangs. Of course sometimes we train during the day or at night. Sometimes I just take them hiking (in groups) or do obedience for the ball. We do a lot outside on most days in some way or another except when the weather is yucky.

2. I am self-employed so my schedule is flexible.

3. I have 6 GSD, 5 females, 1 male ranging in age from 8 months to almost 12 years. All are related.

4. I rotate. Not all of the girls can be together. I can run up to four dogs together. Elena, Donovan and Nike can be with anyone. So, sometimes they are in groups with me, sometimes I may put a couple out to play in the yard and sometimes they spend private time with me. I rarely have more than 3 loose at a time in the house.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page