When did you decide GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

When did you decide GSD?

Just a lot of thinking and curiousity peaks today, here is one....

When I was younger I thought I will NEVER get a dog from a breeder, I will rescue them. Always. Why pay good money for a dog when there are so many low cost dogs in shelters needing homes?? Now here I am with a $1000 GSD and a $2500 Boerboel.

Did any of you ever have those same thoughts and some how your mind was changed and you now have PB GSDs? What changed your mind and why a GSD anyways.. what drove you to the breed?

For me it was because I was a single female in the military so I am very very active. I needed a dog that could be a companion and protector as well as an active partner. I looked at shelters but I was in Germany at the time and they are not too keen on selling to Americans so it was really hard to adpot a dog. I also found that I had all these requirements for my future companion.. Active, protective, aloof, but still friendly and sociable, could take anywhere, was smart and easy to train.. Thus bringing me to the GSD. And thus led me to a BYB (didn't know any better at the time) and I bought my first PB GSD. Papers, good bloodline (had a friend of mine look into the line) and exactly what I was looking for. 2 years later I bought my Boerboel. Along the same lines of thought only now I was in America.. had a temperament in mind, had certain drives that I needed to be there (similar to my GSD but down a notch or 2) and still be able to keep up with my GSD. And thus Miss Athena came along. Thought it better to introduce a puppy to my 2 y/o than a rescue dog when you didn't know where they came from or their story. At least in my area, there wasn't many stories for these rescues.

Though now that I have had all these experiences I vow to not have a puppy for a VERY VERY long time. LOL I am puppied out!! So I am now at a point where years down the road.. I will rescue an adult 2+ y/o dog.

What about you? What's your story and what lead you to the GSD?? And if you don't have a GSD.. what lead you to your pups?

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010

Last edited by wyoung2153; 02-15-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

I had the same thought process about rescuing dogs and I've pretty much stood by that. I have 8 animals in my home...only one was purchased with papers and it wasn't my german shepherd. She was a rescue at 3 months and I didn't pay nearly what some people pay and I saved her I was looking for a dog that had the ability to protect me and was loyal. I went back and forth with adding another golden or the german shepherd for about a month. I never counted on the energy level of the shepherd but she is a beautiful dog and I'm happy with my choice.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Master Member

baha, we went looking at australian shepherd puppies at this place called Puppy Boutique...we ended up looking at him, and just fell in love. probably shouldn't have even gone IN to that store...but I'm glad I ended up with my baby <3

Sheldon (WGSD) 5/20/2011
Oliver (ball python) 10/10 (gotcha day)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Elite Member

I wound up with Stella thanks to my son, who bought her from a byb 2 weeks before going off to college! His plan was to get an apt that allows dogs, but what a surprise.....no one wants a GSD. So here she is.....and I love her! He will have to fight me to get her back! lol.
I have only bought a dog once in my life...a collie. Every other dog, and there have been many, were rescues or picked up strays or hand me downs. Quite a few shepherds in that mix.
Not planning on another dog for a while...Stella is 8 months and then there is Ruben, 9 years, newfie/lab mix. We had a nice quiet routine around here before Stella came. I am puppyed out for a while but no regrets with having her at all.
Did I mention I lost about 7 lbs since I got her>?!?!?!?!?
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 PM

Because she was the cutest pup at the shelter.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Crowned Member

My husband grew up with German Shepherds and I always wanted one as a kid, but my parents had a rule: no Dobermans, no Rottweilers, no German Shepherds. (They hadn't heard of Pit Bulls or that probably would have made the list too.) Anyway, literally 5 days after we bought our first house, I saw an ad in the paper for German Shepherd puppies and we bought Rocky for $300. Best three hundred bucks I've ever spent.

Our second Shepherd was a shelter dog, and Kopper is a breeder dog. I fostered dogs in rescue for nearly 10 years but had always wanted the experience of buying the puppy I wanted from a good breeder. There have been really wonderful things about both the rescue experience and the puppy experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Master Member

Born in German with German Parents, always around just GSD's. When I was stationed in the UK saw a ad in the NCO Club for German Shep puppies. As they say the rest is history. I do try to rescue them first, if thats not possible I will purchase a pup. My latest pup is no longer a pup and over 90lbs now....

*** Imager removed by MOD, max size allowed 800X600 ***

Jocko

King CKC GSD (he shall always be remembered)
Willie Collie Mix 7 yrs old
Sarge White GSD 7 yrs old
Blitz Von Vormund AKC DN28154--- 2 yr old

Last edited by Castlemaid; 02-16-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Oversized picture
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Elite Member

I have always wanted a GSD. When I moved out on my own, I felt completely overwhelmed by all of the choices in MI alone for breeders and all of the German names etc. I gave up since I didn't know anyone that could help me and got a Lab - which turned out better for my apartment anyway.

Then I got a Dutch Shepherd. That was a huge, heartbreaking disaster. I decided I wanted to flash, the obedience, the intelligence, the protectiveness and the NERVE of the GSD and that's what I got. I will never not have a GSD, shepherds hold my heart but the GSD is a pretty special dog.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM

I didn't have a choice (well I did I guess My Dad had always had german shepherds growing up, which was back in the 30's/40's.. When he joined the army he had a german shepherd in Germany..we have always had atleast '1' german shepherd growing up,,I have always loved them, always had them since

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

i think i fully decided on a GSD when i was about 9 and got to watch the K9 demonstration for the local PD back home and then got to meet the dogs. One of the dogs I met was a rather large guy, dont know his lineage but he was black and red. BIG guy. He gave me a big wet sloppy kiss and promptly rolled over for a belly rub. I was sold on the breed. I always enjoy watching the dogs work and meeting them when I was able. But watching them doing the demonstrations was definitely a big seller for me lol. The wet sloppy kiss must have just sealed the deal for me.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page