Who is responsible? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Who is responsible?

I am in a deep discussion with a friend and we both love our dogs; and we are both pretty good when it comes to taking care of our pets, reading warning signs if any and finally how to react.

We got in a discussion on Pits and even GSD's who might attack a child or a example the reporter who was bit in the face. Who is actually responsible? My position in the video where the reporter is bit in the face the dog is surely giving warning signs and the owner is not paying attention and the reporter did not notice the signs. My friends position is that its the dogs fault that he attacked since his breed was designed to attack humans. My position is its all about the owner and not paying attention to the warning signs and while the dog bit the woman it could have been avoided and should have been avoided if the owner wasn't so laid back in his seat chatting away not paying attention.

Jocko

King CKC GSD (he shall always be remembered)
Willie Collie Mix 7 yrs old
Sarge White GSD 7 yrs old
Blitz Von Vormund AKC DN28154--- 2 yr old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Crowned Member

You don't put your face directly two inches from another dogs face that you don't know. Period. It's dog common sense 101.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
this is exactly why you should NEVER put your face in a dogs face EVER. this is not the dogs fault, it's the reporters. I would bite too if I had someone's face in mine.

i'd like to add that Dogo Argentino's are not supposed to be HA.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Master Member

Unfortunately we live in a society today that has abandoned Dog Common Sense 101. It's no longer your fault if you shove your face in a strange dog's face, or do something else incredibly stupid. You should have "trained your dog better." You shouldn't "ever bring the dog out with you." You should have stopped it, somehow.

Dogs are still animals. And while I would be overjoyed if my Samson were the kind of dog who would never meet a stranger in his life - he isn't. And forcing him to be that kind of dog is not pleasant for either of us.

And unfortunately, I have to watch out for idiots who try to do this. I don't think he will bite, not as a first reaction - he will do what he can to back away and get out of the situation. But so many people seem to be complete dunces about dog body language that I worry about them continuing to follow him around, while I tell them to back off - and then it's my fault if he would get backed into a corner and have nowhere else to flee...and be forced to turn to fight, instead.

It's not right. But unfortunately, that's the way it is.

So the question ends up being...from a legal perspective, what actually is right according to current law/precedent, and should the answer to that be what is right?

DCluver33 said it perfect. If someone stuck their face in mine and wouldn't move despite me asking, I'd bite them too, if I had to.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Knighted Member

It's been discussed here already. Frankly I think it's the Dogo's owner's fault as much as if not more than the idiot reporter's.

Never once was the owner responsible for his dog. Off leash to begin with in an area that wasn't safe. Taking a dog that was just tramatized into a highly stressful place when it should have been resting & recovering. Not telling reporter to get her face out of the dog's face when it is clearly trying to retreat.

Remove any ONE of those things and the bite would not have happened.

The dog wasn't even vaccinated for rabies. How irresponsible is that?!

The reporter is responsible for being stupid. I wonder how many strangers she lets rub all over her head then try to kiss her on the face/lips after just meeting?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

K thanks at least I am thinking the same way as others here.

Jocko

King CKC GSD (he shall always be remembered)
Willie Collie Mix 7 yrs old
Sarge White GSD 7 yrs old
Blitz Von Vormund AKC DN28154--- 2 yr old
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Elite Member

Thumbs down

I think the whole thing was a cluster F to be honest. The dog should have never been there so soon after the trauma he went through. Iím sure just being in that studio was stressful for the dog.

The handler was probably clueless about reading stress signals from his dog. Plus heís distracted with all thatís going on in the studio.

The news woman was certainly clueless on how to interact with a dog she just met.

Just a bad situation all around!!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Master Member

Oh, I was thinking about the question outside the specifics of this situation.

Yes, I agree that it was just as much the handler's fault as the reporter's fault.

I am not saying I would just allow Samson to get in that sort of situation, I'd never do that. I know his temperament and I take reasonable precautions to keep him from getting in that kind of a place. I guess what I am saying is that somewhere in the middle, there is a healthy balance between, if something "bad" should happen, a dog being a dog and a person being an idiot, and you the owner not doing what you should have to prevent the situation.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
I think the whole thing was a cluster F to be honest. The dog should have never been there so soon after the trauma he went through. Iím sure just being in that studio was stressful for the dog.

The handler was probably clueless about reading stress signals from his dog. Plus heís distracted with all thatís going on in the studio.

The news woman was certainly clueless on how to interact with a dog she just met.

Just a bad situation all around!!
I agree with GregK, it was a disaster waiting to happen!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 03:37 AM
Elite Member

The dog was forced into the entire situation by humans. The dog was taunted by humans. The dog was initially mistreated by humans. The dog was bred by humans.

Root of the problem here folks = humans.

How anyone can blame the dog, lacks logic and reason.

"If you don't train them, don't blame them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page