Help, my garden is destroyed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Help, my garden is destroyed

A little background. At the end of my driveway at the back of the house there is a rather steep hill as we have a walkout basement so basically the hill goes down a full level. We have always had a bit of an erosion problem there but got it under control with plantings etc.

Then came Harley. He runs up and down the hill and hops all over it as it's right next to our neighbors fence. The neighbors that have TEN little dogs that Harley just loves to bark at. So, my plants were pulverized, the hill is eroding, any pinestraw we put down just gets pulverized. This has to stop.

My husband wants to extend our electric fence to put a barrier up there so he can't go in the garden. I REALLY don't want to do that. I thought about putting down that weed barrier fabric thinking it would make it too slick for him to walk on and therefore he'd stop. Any suggestions? Help!

Layla

Bella - GSD mix (3/21/10)
Harley - GSD (2/5/10)
Baron - GSD (10/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member

I would move the electric fence or put up a barrier of some sort.

What you do NOT want is a running dog on a slippery surface on a hill trying to quickly stop...that's why we're looking at acl surgery.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I would move the electric fence or put up a barrier of some sort.

What you do NOT want is a running dog on a slippery surface on a hill trying to quickly stop...that's why we're looking at acl surgery.
Good point. Didn't think of that. Any thoughts on a barrier? I just hate to put the wire in as once it's there, it's there. KWIM?

Layla

Harley - GSD (2/5/10)
Baron - GSD (10/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Jax, I'd do the same thing!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Can't help with the yard. My backyard is a disaster from 2 dogs playing, training etc.

But the fence fighting, I can say what we did. It took some time and many days.. everyday... training Woolf to ignore the 2 big barkers next door (which is huge since he is DA <sigh>). Played LAT, treated with no reaction. Played ball as long as no reaction. Now he'll sit and watch, he'll check in some and if he barks, he has to come inside. Not a perfect fix, but no further fence fighting, barking at the dogs next door and the path isn't being worn down any more along the fence.

You could try something similar. Spend about an hour each afternoon/evening working with him. Once the barking is under control, the problem with the hill may almost disappear.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

You could put electric tape up as a 'training tool" and buy a solar fencer for that small piece. Look on horse.com for a solar fencer.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Can't help with the yard. My backyard is a disaster from 2 dogs playing, training etc.

But the fence fighting, I can say what we did. It took some time and many days.. everyday... training Woolf to ignore the 2 big barkers next door (which is huge since he is DA <sigh>). Played LAT, treated with no reaction. Played ball as long as no reaction. Now he'll sit and watch, he'll check in some and if he barks, he has to come inside. Not a perfect fix, but no further fence fighting, barking at the dogs next door and the path isn't being worn down any more along the fence.

You could try something similar. Spend about an hour each afternoon/evening working with him. Once the barking is under control, the problem with the hill may almost disappear.
What's LAT? If I'm outside with him he ignores the other dogs. When he barks we go out every time and bring him in but it hasn't stopped and this is 6 months in. I feel like he thinks it's his job to protect us from those annoying yappers next door.

Layla

Harley - GSD (2/5/10)
Baron - GSD (10/13)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
LAT - Look at That.

Have him in a sit, he sees the dog, no reaction, treat and throw a party. Should be some very yummy treats to over ride the fun he has barking and running up and down the fence. May have to begin with a 'watch me' command to get his attention on you.

As he is able to ignore the dogs longer, you may be able to drop the watch me and just have him sit. Add in playing ball or tug, the game itself is a reward and give treats as well.

It isn't a quick fix and took having to make him come inside every time Woolf gave the first bark, but he did get the idea.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Elite Member

Ugly, orange snow fencing attached to some posts can keep him out of the area, but I think training is probably what is going to stop it.

We have a GSD landing zone off our deck that is completely destroyed. We have had to re-route her flight path and work on training her. She has accepted that running full speed to the back of the yard and slamming on her breaks is not going to work, so she has changed places in the yard. We're still working on the training. ;}

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page