Honda CRV or Nissan Rogue?? (Sidenote: To crate or not to crate in car?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Honda CRV or Nissan Rogue?? (Sidenote: To crate or not to crate in car?)

Hello all!

It is FINALLY time that hubby and I purchase a second car and we've decided to get me an SUV to fit Jazmyn and any future GSDs lol. We have narrowed it down to the 2008 Honda CRV or the 2008/9 Nissan Rogue.

We like how the CRV drives, how the exterior looks, and how much height is in the back for Jaz. It is however only 39.5" between the wheel wells so we would only be able to fit 1 36" crate in the back (using the side door). Since we just have Jaz, this is okay, but I'm not sure about the future. The CRV would allow us to have her in or out of a crate in the "trunk" or she could sit in the seat.

We love the exterior/interior of the Rogue and its gas mileage. My concern is trunk/cargo space. Because of the way the rear is, I don't believe there is room for a crate, especially not 2. Jaz would have a bed in the "trunk", or would sit in the back seat and we'd use the cargo space for stuff lol.

So my question is...what would you choose!?!

I guess my question is also, do you crate your dogs in the car, or do they sit in the backseat with a harness/seatbelt.

Lisa
Jazmyn - 11/11/2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

When we were looking at crossover-type SUVs, we found the CRX to be too narrow and overall too small in the back. As you said, you can only fit one crate in there.

We ended up buying a Hyundai Santa Fe, similar to the CRX and Murano but less expensive and more room.

We keep ours crated in the car. Luka somtimes rides free if we forget to load the crates, but the puppy is still an idiot in the car.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Banned

i taught my dog to lay down when he's in the car.
i also taught him not to put his head out of the window
if he's sitting and not to enter or exit the car without
a command. which car will the dog fit in better? make sure
the back seat is wide enough for him. if cars are hatch backs
make sure he fits in the hatch area and make sure the crate
fits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Master Member

I went back and forth between an SUV or a MiniVan for a LONG time. I finally decided mini van. It fits SO MUCH and has fantastic gas mileage for its size

For crating.. I personally love it for a few reasons. One I don't have to always have in the back of my head "OMG I LEFT FOOD in the back seat!!!" and look back to see dogs eating or shredding the papers. I feel overall the dogs are safer for both sudden stops but also in case of an accident. My dogs can be very protective of the car. I don't want to be limited in my emergency help in case of an accident because I have a dog standing over me snarling at anyone who gets close to me or the car.. I also don't want my dog to take off if an accident did happen and run into traffic.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned

I have a Nissan Murano. I am a totally irresponsible dog owner. The seats are down in the back so she has the whole back area to roam around in. I also open the windows so she can put her head out. I should be shot.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Master Member

I have a Murano as well and it fits my dogs crate in the back sideways but not long ways. They look very similar to the Rogue.. my murano does NOT get the gas mileage the dealership said it would, just fyi.

I owned a 1999 CRV for four years and when I sold it, it had 200,000 miles on it and was still going strong. Hondas are great, if I could have found a nice new CRV for a good price I would have gotten another one.

www.rescuedrover.com
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

Dont get a rogue if you want to fit an XL size plastic crate - it doesn't fit height wise. I've tried assembling it in the car and pushing it into the car from every direction and angle no good. So my buddy is now stuck with a large size crate until we get a bigger car. Just a heads up...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 PM

I'd vote against the Rogue as a dog owner. I love it as a car but a shepherd size crate does not fit except IN the back seat because the seats do not lay flat. I really wish I had gone with something bigger.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Knighted Member

I'll vote for the nissan because they are beasts! I have a titan and could not love it more. Cars are very personal choices though. They kind of are extensions of our own personalities. I recommend buy the one you like to drive the most.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

Happy Rogue owner here! Bought mine new in 2008 and it has been a little trooper of a car for me.

Got me through Icemaggedon in GA last winter. Handles well, good for taller people and I've not (knock on wood) had any mechanical issues with it going on 79K miles.

I looked at the Honda CRV and liked it but back in 2008 they were awfully proud of the car (it showed $$$ wise) that was not nearly as advanced (engine/tranny combo) as the Rogue. I like the CVT trannys, well built they are the best for helping with the MPG on cars when one needs something bigger.

The downside as others have mentioned is you can only fit in one large crate....(not XL).

LOVE the Murano (we had one of those as well) but it's pricey and if you gotta worry about MPG it's not the best choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page