Feeding the Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Feeding the Dogs

Feeding the Dogs - YouTube

This is what it looks like.

I let them sit, put it down and then walk away.

Don't mess with it, they don't mess with each other either. Any dog that comes in is fed with the pack unless the dog is stripped off and fed out of the hand. Never had a single issue, never had a fight over food.

I can't explain how I do it, just do it like I learned it at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Master Member

As it should be

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Exactly. It's like Robin said in another topic, I don't understand how it can even get to the point where a dog becomes food aggressive or so possessive that you can't even walk by anymore because I've never had that problem, nor did we ever have that problem at my parents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM

It really seems like you are one of those people that has the natural confidence of a leader. You expect them to do it correctly and know that they will thus there is no argument from them.
That video is exactly what you want from dogs but see it rather rarely in general.

Leah and the critters

Jager & Kat
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Exactly. It's like Robin said in another topic, I don't understand how it can even get to the point where a dog becomes food aggressive or so possessive that you can't even walk by anymore because I've never had that problem, nor did we ever have that problem at my parents.
I've dealt with a number of food aggressive dogs, but the one thing they all had in common was a bad history by the time they got to me, and that's the difference. However, I have not YET come across one that I couldn't teach that us being around their food was okay, and that the other dogs would not bother them - the longest was about 6 months of constant work to figure it out.

With new dogs, especially pups, I do a little messing around while they eat, but only in positive ways, and I've never had an issue with a dog I've raised from a young age being possessive about food or treats. A lot of times I use feeding time to detangle tails and/or mats that they seem to get no matter how much I brush them, and none has ever seemed threatened in the slightest by that.

My kids were taught from the beginning to let the dogs alone while they eat, and even if they got carried away and tripped over the dogs by playing at meal time I never had a dog show aggression over it. It seems to me that a lot of people just don't know if the dog is secure that you won't take their food, then they are more relaxed about it. I'm not sure I'm wording this exactly how I want to say it, but hopefully you get what I mean.

MrsK, your dogs are gorgeous!

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Maybe, it does have to do with confidence. You have to be confident in what you do. You are the resource and they get their food from you. If they have an issue with that, they don't get fed, they have to take it from you or they won't eat. I have yet to see a dog that would rather starve than taking the food out of your hand and I have yet to be bit because most dogs will not bite the hand that feeds him. At least that's my experience. Can't talk for others.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

I think it has a lot to do with confidence AND how they were raised. If they weren't taught that from the beginning, if it wasn't expected of them... well, it could take a while for them to fall in line, if at all.

btw, your dogs do the same mine do after meals. Look at the bowl like the food disappeared, check the floor, look at everyone elses bowl (or stare at each other until they finish). Then mine go investigate each other's bowls after each has left it. Licking someone else's bowl is just better.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

Mine do the same thing, they go lick each others bowl clean. While I prepare the food(feed raw) they sit in the kitchen and wait....now and then Onyx will give a growl to Karlo or Kacie, but thats it. She eats side by side of Karlo and there is never an issue. Kacie eats slow, and takes her RMB's away to eat so I feed her outside most often.
Tonight they all sat nicely while I handed out chicken leg 1/4s and they went their separate ways to eat(outside) If one dog snatched anothers, I'd grab it from them with no problem...sometimes I toss out a leg 1/4 and the first one to reach it wins it. Or toss their meat chunks to them instead of using a bowl. Mealtime is fun, not a dreaded moment.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page