Will an injury increase hormones similar to a dog fight? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Will an injury increase hormones similar to a dog fight?

I know this question is phrased very poorly.

When dogs fight, their body release hormones (is it hormones? I can't remember exactly what it is!), that take several days to come back down to a normal level.

So, will an injury, that causes significant pain, also release those same hormones?

Our house has been fairly quiet lately with no fights between Sierra and Jax. Sierra typically starts them and last time had a pretty good injury from it. Last night, after Jax hurt her leg again, she went after Sierra and then again this morning. We were right there so no damage done. But it seems odd to me that Jax had this injury that hurt her enough that she didn't want to put weight on her leg and couldn't sit comfortably and also decided to pick two fights which is really our of character for her.

Correlation? Or me being crazy?

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Elite Member

I am not sure about the hormones....however. Kaos reacts completely different to Sherman when he is in pain. In fact last time he slipped and fell in the kitchen, after he got up he went over and tried to pick a fight with Sherman. Luckily I shut it down pretty quick. When he has issues with pain, I limit their time together quite a bit, because he is downright grouchy.

ETA....our vet told us she thinks it has more to do with the fact that when he is in pain he is more insecure about his "position" as CHIEF so he acts up.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mysweetkaos; 02-10-2012 at 10:40 AM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

We're studying endocrinology and hormones right now. . . yes it can

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

Are you referring to the endorphin hormone?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

hmmm....that's interesting...our "chief" if Banshee. Any dog that tries to challenge that post has to deal with me! lol But there is a pack issue between Sierra and Jax. Typically, it's Sierra that starts the fight. It's very, very rare for Jax to do it and that is usually within a couple days of Sierra starting a fight in that time period where their hormone levels need to come back to normal.

WHAT is the name of the hormone that increases!? Is it a stress hormone? Is it even a hormone?

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
I don't know! I don't think I ever knew anything other than a hormone increases because of a fight (stress related, fight or flight response) and it takes a few days for it to return to normal.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
We're studying endocrinology and hormones right now. . . yes it can
Emily - can you please explain how it all works?

This is not a case of Jax reacting to pain caused by someone messing with her leg or Sierra bumping her. It was completely unprovoked. It may have been related to Sierra being near a toy but is still out of character for Jax to react so strongly.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Presuming that dogs release similar hormones as humans - which may be a big stretch - they release a number of them. Pro‐opiomelanocortin (metabolized into ACTH & endorphin), vasopressin, glucagon, growth hormone, prolactin, all designed to increase metabolism and stimulate immune responses.

Last edited by stealthq; 02-10-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: forgot one.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Emily - can you please explain how it all works?

This is not a case of Jax reacting to pain caused by someone messing with her leg or Sierra bumping her. It was completely unprovoked. It may have been related to Sierra being near a toy but is still out of character for Jax to react so strongly.
Is it possible that you missed a look (or they are reading each others minds )? Given that Jax and Sierra have issues and Jax is feeling "vulnerable" right now, it could take just the littles uneasy feeling.

Emily, I'd be really curious to hear it too if you can/have the time to write it out.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
I thought endorphins generally made you feel good, feel less pain, etc and therefore less likely to fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page