Neighbors - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Neighbors

Moving from Michigan to Florida has been quite a transition in a lot of ways. One of those is my neighbors. Where I used to live everybody absulutly adored Misty. They would come over begging to say hi to my pup. Here it is quite the opposite. I do have one neighbor kid that comes over to play with her once and awhile. But one time my MIL decided to let Misty outside and not in our fenced in area. Which if I were outside with Misty, she would have stayed right next to me, but because my MIL let her out, she saw the neighbor kid and went running to greet him. The neighbor kid's mom started shouting "Run, that dog is going to bite you." Misty is the farthest thing from aggression, though, unless you count licking someone to death.

Besides that minor thing, I have a neighbor right next door who calls my dog a "beast" and is so terrified of her that whenever this lady is outside, which is often, she carries a long thick pole/stick for protection from my dog. Although the last one I saw her carry around did not seem so thick, but almost spear-like. I only saw it for a split second at a distance so I could be wrong.

Well, anyways this makes me worry about my dog's safety. We only bring her in the backyard, which is fenced off-leash, otherwise we go on walks or train leashed. I'm just worried that A: something like my MIL happens where Misty is let out or B: her collar slips off somehow. Now, I'm sure if the collar slips off and I'm there, I'll have control of her, but what if she does get out of the house by chance and my neighbor starts beating her or even stabbing her... I also think about how I will never be able to train off-leash in my own front yard. I mean, I have done the whole off-leash training in fenced in areas such as my yard and various dog parks and she seems to do essentially perfect; and I have also done training on a long lead, but I guess it would have been nice to go in our own front yard off-leash one day.

GSD - Misty (12/25/10)
Sphynx cat - Fenix (~July 08')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany05 View Post
Moving from Michigan to Florida has been quite a transition in a lot of ways. One of those is my neighbors. Where I used to live everybody absulutly adored Misty. They would come over begging to say hi to my pup. Here it is quite the opposite. I do have one neighbor kid that comes over to play with her once and awhile. But one time my MIL decided to let Misty outside and not in our fenced in area. Which if I were outside with Misty, she would have stayed right next to me, but because my MIL let her out, she saw the neighbor kid and went running to greet him. The neighbor kid's mom started shouting "Run, that dog is going to bite you." Misty is the farthest thing from aggression, though, unless you count licking someone to death.

Besides that minor thing, I have a neighbor right next door who calls my dog a "beast" and is so terrified of her that whenever this lady is outside, which is often, she carries a long thick pole/stick for protection from my dog. Although the last one I saw her carry around did not seem so thick, but almost spear-like. I only saw it for a split second at a distance so I could be wrong.

Well, anyways this makes me worry about my dog's safety. We only bring her in the backyard, which is fenced off-leash, otherwise we go on walks or train leashed. I'm just worried that A: something like my MIL happens where Misty is let out or B: her collar slips off somehow. Now, I'm sure if the collar slips off and I'm there, I'll have control of her, but what if she does get out of the house by chance and my neighbor starts beating her or even stabbing her... I also think about how I will never be able to train off-leash in my own front yard. I mean, I have done the whole off-leash training in fenced in areas such as my yard and various dog parks and she seems to do essentially perfect; and I have also done training on a long lead, but I guess it would have been nice to go in our own front yard off-leash one day.
Can you talk to your neighbor and ask why she is so afraid of your dog? Maybe starting dialogue will help ease her mind.

L'chaim
Elvi

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Crowned Member

It can be discouraging to live among the fearful when you are living with that which provokes the fear. What to do? Keep on keeping on. Train off lead in your front yard. Train off lead walks in the neighborhood. Be matter of fact about it. Your good dog is out and about with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Crowned Member

Your dog should not be "running to greet" any neighbor child ever.

Keep your dog on lead, and when she is in your fenced back yard, keep her with you.

Work with her off-lead in your fenced back yard. That is safest. If you are going for an obedience title, go to obedience classes and matches and work off-lead there. Our current society really does not have that many situations where walking with your dog off lead is really appropriate. I do sometimes in the middle of the night, up town. But even then, in our tiny town, I had someone who turned out to be a police officer run right toward me and Babs. I quickly grabbed her collar, or there might have been an issue. For a youngster, I don't do anything off-lead except in fenced in areas. A mistake can cost your dog its life.

Sometimes people can be great with puppies and dogs they watch grow up, but adult GSDs, they are leery of. Lots of people want these dogs for that reason. Whether it is the size or the prick ears, the fact is they are intimidating. On top of that, you have sensational stories where people get mauled or killed by dogs, and we are reaping the fall out for those cases. So, when you see people letting their dogs loose to run and greet neighbor children, it should make you furious too.

As for slipping the collar. If you are concerned about this, use a martingale instead of a flat collar. A martingale goes around the neck like a collar, but it has a small chain section that is loose when their is slack in the lead, but when the lead is tightened it makes the collar smaller so that it cannot be slipped. There are various types. For young dogs, I prefer one that has a buckle and is adjustable. For adult dogs, I use a small leather one that is not adjustable and fits over the dog's head.

Keep your dog safe. If you must limit the responsibility your MIL has for the dog, do so. You cannot take it back if your dog is injured or killed because she was running loose.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 AM

Selzer hits the nail on the head, as usual

You really should NOT allow your dog to just run up to kids. Walk up with you and politely sit or down stay for petting? Much better. Play can happen at the parents ok.

But I do agree that you should introduce yourself (sans dog for now) to this lady, and any other close neighbors. Bring a small gift (beer works for the guys. Always.) and strike up a conversation. Even apologize for your dog scaring her! Try to understand that, even as much as dogs have climbed up the social ladder in our society, they are still dogs and they still scare a lot of people. Especially GSDs!

If you are 100% positive your dog is comfortable around this lady, offer to introduce your dog to her. Talk about why she feels uncomfortable...she could have a very good reason.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Banned

i think you should introduce your dog to the neighbors.
when you're not home crate Misty. is there a spare
room Misty can use? teach Misty not to door dash
and teach her boundaries.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany05 View Post
But one time my MIL decided to let Misty outside and not in our fenced in area. Which if I were outside with Misty, she would have stayed right next to me, but because my MIL let her out, she saw the neighbor kid and went running to greet him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Your dog should not be "running to greet" any neighbor child ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGrrl66 View Post
You really should NOT allow your dog to just run up to kids. Walk up with you and politely sit or down stay for petting? Much better. Play can happen at the parents ok.
The OP stated that he wasn't there and that their MIL let Misty out. I would fully expect Misty to not listen to the MIL. The OP also stated that if they were their, Misty wouldn't have done that, which to me indicates a well trained dog in that respect. The only thing I see wrong with that is that the MIL let the dog out into an unfenced yard when she clearly doesn't have control of the dog. In that case, the OP would just need to speak with the MIL about not doing that in the future or just eliminating the resposibility and just crating Misty while they are gone. My boy would do the same thing. He listens to me INCREDIBLY well but questions and pushes with everyone else who usually lets him get away with whatever he wants. So because I know this I NEVER let anyone take him into situations that could cause potential harm, unintentianally or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
Good advice.. just what I was going to suggest. People have always been afraid of Titan because he is a GSD and HUGE. So any time someone acts or says something indicating they are terrified of him (obviously depending on the person) but definitely my neighbors, I always made sure to introduce them and make them aware that he's not going to hurt anyone while I'm around.. and that's the key... while you are there. I had a few problems with local neighbor kids that would actually try to go to the gate and play with him while I was inside or not there (as told to me by my next door neighbor) I had to go speak with their parents about that and let them know that as long as I am there, he is harmless, and as long as I bring the kids into the yard and all that, he is harmless. But I can't guarantee that when I am not there, and one of the kids come on to my property with out my say so, Titan wouldn't treat them as a stranger. They understand that now and we have no problems. I only have one neighbor that steers away from my house because of me and my dogs. Apparently a woman in uniform and two monstrous dogs is too much to handle for a middle aged couple with 2 yorkies.. but I have made my efforts

and oh yeah.. OP.. I just recently moved to Florida too.. quite a different climate change than Germany for 3 years. LOL.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010

Last edited by wyoung2153; 02-10-2012 at 09:45 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSdogowner View Post
Can you talk to your neighbor and ask why she is so afraid of your dog? Maybe starting dialogue will help ease her mind.
Well, everybody knows that she absolutely despises dogs... and many other things. But she has told me that no matter how well trained a dog is, they are beasts and will always be unpredictable. She seems to be one of those people you don't change their mind, because I have tried to politely tell her otherwise. I've been just trying to do training well she is out and other activities with Misty to attempt to show her how good of a dog she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
The OP stated that he wasn't there and that their MIL let Misty out. I would fully expect Misty to not listen to the MIL. The OP also stated that if they were their, Misty wouldn't have done that, which to me indicates a well trained dog in that respect. The only thing I see wrong with that is that the MIL let the dog out into an unfenced yard when she clearly doesn't have control of the dog. In that case, the OP would just need to speak with the MIL about not doing that in the future or just eliminating the resposibility and just crating Misty while they are gone. My boy would do the same thing. He listens to me INCREDIBLY well but questions and pushes with everyone else who usually lets him get away with whatever he wants. So because I know this I NEVER let anyone take him into situations that could cause potential harm, unintentianally or not.
Thanks you! That is what I meant. I never ever allow her to run up to any neighbors let alone children to greet them unless they ask permission and Misty is sitting calmly. Also, my MIL knew that Misty was not allowed in the front yard. She is one of those people who have their own opinion and do not care about others. Her whole life she had dogs and let them roam the neighborhood. I was not pleased with her to say the least, but I learned my lesson. Fortunutly, she was only visiting and after tomorrow she should be going back to her home in Michigan. I know now to have her crated when I am not home or at night with MIL here (MIL goes outside randomly through the night). And to keep a close eye in general when she or other people are around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
We have introduced her to almost all of the neighbors. Others that I have not mention seem to like her. At our other house we moved from, Misty would never ever run out the door. We did "wait" ever since she was a puppy and it meant that even if kids were playing in our yard a couple feet from her, she never ran out. Having moved we had to reteach her and although she is very good with it, she is not quite as perfect with distractions, such as someone being two feet from the door, than she was in Michigan, but we are working on it.

All in all, maybe I will find a different location to practice off-lead, get Misty's CGC, and eventually down the road be able to let her off-leash while I'm in the front yard. I think it will be awhile, though, with having a toddler and another baby on the way, but possible. She is pretty close to testing for the CGC which I am excited about!

GSD - Misty (12/25/10)
Sphynx cat - Fenix (~July 08')
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

Congratulations on working toward the CGC. That is totally on-lead, so you should be fine without practicing off-lead.

We all have different impressions of front yards. Yours sounds busy with neighbor children and the lady who is afraid of dogs.

At my house, my front yard is nearly an acre with a lot of room before we are near any neighbors. There are no sidewalks, and people walking along the road or bicycles is not all that common. But the road is 55mph, and we have Amish as well so there is occasionally horse drawn traffic, so I have to be careful in my front yard with my dogs.

My parents' front yard is pretty much a postage stamp. There is a sidewalk and a tree lawn before the street, but maybe 20' tops before the road. It is a 25mph there, but it is a major highway all the same. People are constantly walking, biking, walking dogs in front of their house. Cujo is off lead but completely trained to stay on the porch, and only while we are right there with him.

I guess I am wondering why you want to have the dog off-leash in the front of your house, and how safe it actually is. A fearful moment could have serious consequences.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM

for the old lady that's terrified of your dog, i'd start sch training in your front yard.

may as well scare the **** out of her if she's not even going to try to get to know your "beast"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page